Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
7 registered (GummyBear, I Want 2 Thrive, lapchinj, highflight, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63568 Topics
444127 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#361031 - 04/29/11 03:58 PM New law to protect the public
traillius Offline

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2011/04/towns_could_restrict_where_sex.html

I wonder if some group will have the gall to challenge this one?

#361149 - 05/01/11 12:15 AM Re: New law to protect the public [Re: traillius]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Interesting! I know this is already something that occurs in PA. One local fellow I know had to sell his house and move because he was convicted and his current home was too close to a bus stop. (this selling/moving took place after he served his sentence).

I didn't realize this wasn't something that occurred everywhere!

#361170 - 05/01/11 01:33 PM Re: New law to protect the public [Re: JustScott]
InsideTheWall Offline

We already have that in Tulsa, where they can't be within I think its 500 feet of a park, school, daycare centers, etc. It makes roughly %97 of the city off limits to them and forces many of them into homelessness. They complain about how impossible this makes it to find a place to live, and fail to understand thats not a bug, its a feature. When they get picked up, we have an excuse to send them back to prison for failing to register.

So for once, the system is working quite well. It would work even better if we just skipped the charades and executed them.

Edited by InsideTheWall (05/01/11 01:46 PM)

#361258 - 05/02/11 08:40 AM Re: New law to protect the public [Re: InsideTheWall]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Unfortunately, these "common sense" laws do not offer any real protection but have the opposite effect of creating a sense of false security. The myth that sex offenders congregate around or take kids away from these places is not supported by research.

Think for a moment, how many survivors around here were victimized by a stranger at a school, playground, day care center, etc? The vast majority of victims are acquainted, live with or are related to the perpetrators. Would such a ban on KNOWN offenders have protected any here who read this?

This legislation is strictly for public consumption. The residency restrictions in other states have been opposed by police and district attorneys as being ineffective and actually driving KNOWN offenders underground/on the run when they are forced to move. It does nothing to protect children from the ones who have not been caught. The politicians who support such legislation get points at the voting booth in November as they are the sponsors of "get tough" on sex offenders. Anyone who doesn't support such legislation is seen as soft on sex offenders.

If you want to know more about preventing sexual abuse, go to www.stopitnow.org. These folks have been in the prevention business for many years (the org was started by a survivor) and can offer ideas of ways that really work.

#361313 - 05/03/11 01:55 AM Re: New law to protect the public [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Shadow+Walker Offline

Loc: desolate foggy nights, USA
Ken,
I hear what you're saying. As a Kindergartener and 1st grader I walked at least 6 blocks one way by myself to school (that was 1972-1974). Where did I get sexually assaulted and photographed? ...at our next door neighbors' house. Which was no where near a park, bus stop or school.
Peace,
Shadow+Walker

Check out a cool song by a hot band..."Unbreakable" by Fireflight: official video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRJAHaOrYg

#361634 - 05/07/11 05:53 PM Re: New law to protect the public [Re: Shadow+Walker]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I agree with Ken.

These laws, and similar attitudes are a way adults want the responsibility to protect kids to fall on someone else. "Anybody but me." It's for the Police. Or Child Protection. Or legislators to pass tougher laws.

But each adult is in the best position to ask that uncle, friend of their son, babysitter, etc. questions when they "get a funny feeling" concerning a child. And learn enough to know the signs of abuse in a child. To ask questions.

I think a meaningful law would be to require everyone who ISN'T a sex offender to learn the prevention methods on the Stop It Now website.

I love Stop It Now. But they don't get any funding. Those laws are costing billions and we give nothing for prevention. Here, Stop It Now doesn't even take volunteers since they have zero dollars.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.