Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
10 registered (mike1965, Jude, Alan Fountain, 4 invisible), 63 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62561 Topics
438347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#342179 - 10/15/10 10:20 AM Re: How do you recover memories of abuse? [Re: pufferfish]
JustSurviving Offline

Loc: Hell
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Do you have a T?
rotflmao - No.
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...0637#Post340637

I'm still working on it. Your advice on focusing and thinking really has worked. Progress.

#342272 - 10/16/10 06:34 PM Re: How do you recover memories of abuse? [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I post on some other techniques of bringing up memories of abuse in the post here:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...2271#Post342271

These are very powerful professional techniques.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#360892 - 04/27/11 06:18 PM Re: How do you recover memories of abuse? [Re: pufferfish]
JustSurviving Offline

Loc: Hell
I'm having some real difficulty getting to the memories that I know are in there but just can't get out. Essentially nothing I have tried is working. I can't deal with something that I can't remember and I know that those remaining repressed memories are hurting me.

&#!@&%$(*@^!#)*&^@#(*%!@&*^%#&!@^)*^@$^!@) <--- sorry about the foul rant.

#360938 - 04/28/11 12:19 PM Re: How do you recover memories of abuse? [Re: EvanCan]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, I believe that things surface when they are ready to, so I believe in not forcing things to emerge. I believe that can result in unnecessary suffering.

However, I do believe in moving forward and moving through. Stuffing stuff and denying have not worked for me.

My memories emerged spontaneously, first as dreams, then as waking flashbacks. What triggered them is being betrayed by a good friend, and getting involved in mentoring boys.

I think this is a highly individual question, so there's probably no one-size answer to it. While I commend your curiousity, dedication to yourself and healing, I would be careful about pushing too hard to get 'the facts'. Can you JUST BE in the uncertainty? (I know this is hard, I struggled with it A LOT and there's probably more to come!).

Techniques that helped me:

1 - Hakomi - an awesome therapeutic technique. Just AWESOME.
2 - Body oriented therapies, both active and passive
Intense Sports, soft massage, etc
3 - Being in a mens' group (check out MKP) and having emotionally authentic experiences there - really FEELING stuff
4 - Making music
5 - Dancing, but not in bars - at conscious events where I could let my body move as it wants to
6 - Yoga meditation and breathwork - Awareness is key. If I can have an experience and witness it without getting too caught up in it, that helps me a lot
7 - Relationships - all kinds - I tend to isolate. Relationship is a GREAT teacher. Listening to my body, learning trust. Sometimes, getting hurt.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rising Again

#360939 - 04/28/11 12:22 PM Re: How do you recover memories of abuse? [Re: risingagain]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh I forgot one more powerful technique. Finding the pain in my body, listening for the pain in my body, trying to locate it, PINPOINT IT,

give it a color, give it a name, name it.... not in my head... just a feeling in my body...

then asking it, what's your story?
what's your story?
i'm curious.
i really want to know.
i want to be well.

and sitting and witnessing with compassion as the pain shifts and what needs to emerge emerges.

This is central to Hakomi as well, a therapist can guide you through this.

#360942 - 04/28/11 12:24 PM Re: How do you recover memories of abuse? [Re: risingagain]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh I forgot one more powerful technique. Finding the pain in my body, listening for the pain in my body, trying to locate it, PINPOINT IT,

give it a color, give it a name, name it.... not in my head... just a feeling in my body...

then asking it, what's your story?
what's your story?
i'm curious.
i really want to know.
i want to be well.

and sitting and witnessing with compassion as the pain shifts and what needs to emerge emerges.

This is central to Hakomi as well, a therapist can guide you through this.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.