Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
8 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, 7 invisible), 71 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62502 Topics
438061 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#360311 - 04/20/11 01:17 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: blaidd]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
That's sad to hear. It leads me to think that you can't possibly have read and understood what I'm actually trying to say.

Can you help me by telling me what you perceive I'm saying?

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#360315 - 04/20/11 02:14 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: blaidd]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Men

When we share our experience-we build understanding and grow.

When we share opinions, theories, and academic discussions from the outside world, it has the danger of being untrue, divisive, and out of our depth if not out of our league.

Let's leave topics like this outside MS or at least on the level of "here's what the treatment world is discussing".

We here have too much uniquely in common and too much to share personally than to take up arms on one cause or another here at MS.

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#360330 - 04/20/11 08:10 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: Mountainous Buck]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
There’s a pleasure found
In our difference. If only,
We’d not bite and scratch

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#360334 - 04/20/11 09:29 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: earlybird]
Ischyros Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Gentlemen,

It is a fact that Dr. Nicolosi's approach to understanding homosexuality is rooted in theology. His position on homosexuality is governed by assumptions about natural law, derived from the metaphysics and anthropology of St. Thomas Aquinas. On the basis of his understanding of St. Thomas, he can make breathtaking statements like this, from the NARTH website article entitled "Gay As Self-Reinvention":

Quote:
I wish to clarify my belief that there is no such thing as a gay person. Gay is a fictitious identity seized upon by an individual to resolve painful emotional challenges. The man who recognizes that he has a homosexual problem and struggles to overcome it is not "gay." He is, simply, "homosexual."

I am intimately familiar with Christian and therapeutic approaches to homosexuality that start from this basis. I am a veteran of "ex-gay ministry." I've been there, had the resulting breakdown, and did the real therapy to repair the damage that the "reparative therapy" created. In my opinion, the various professional organizations who have dismissed Dr. Nicolosi as a quack are entirely justified.

Similar quackery is advocated by individuals like Elizabeth Moberly, Andy Comiskey, Leanne Payne, and others. When challenged on the scientific validity of their theories, they immediately retreat to conspiracy theories ("the gay agenda") and loudly proclaim that their civil and religious rights are being violated. Sorry, gang. Dr. Nicolosi is not violating my religious rights when he says I as a gay man "don't exist," but he is indulging in absurd, offensive, non-scientific quackery, not to mention psychological and spiritual malpractice. And I'm not violating his religious rights when I say so.

Thank you, EFM, for your calm, fact-based and carefully researched posts to this thread. I wish I could be as intelligent and irenic about this topic as you are. But I still smart from the damage done to me by "reparative therapy." In fact, I think of myself as a survivor twice over - once of sexual abuse, then of the "ex-gay therapy" that was supposed to fix the damage but only made it much worse.

And just for the record, I was and remain a practicing Christian.

I want to live in the world
Not inside my head
I want to live in the world
I want to stand and be counted
With the hopeful and the willing
With the open and the strong...

--Jackson Browne, "Alive In the World"

#360805 - 04/26/11 05:05 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: Ischyros]
nevragan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NC
Guys,
I've been reading your replys on the link. I think I've come to the conclusion that Nicolosi is basically a quack. I'm sorry that the "gay therapy techniques" used on people have caused more damage than help. In my lifetime so far I have met some really nice gay people. I would have to say that I don't see any reason for them to have to change who they are. Everyone is different and that is what makes up the world. If we were all the same then life would be boring. I will say that I didn't do homework on Nicolosi before I posted the link. I am glad however that his damaging ways have been brought out in the light for all to see in this thread. I will keep looking for more info on SSA as that is a subject that many of us struggle with. Thanks for being civil towards each other in this discussion. Take care,

#361155 - 05/01/11 08:18 AM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: blaidd]
limit Offline

Text moved to moderator forum for review.

#361179 - 05/01/11 03:55 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: limit]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
You R Good Man. We need this.
It is - HeAlTHy if you allow your felings to surface and express them. I love MS, thanks.

#361180 - 05/01/11 03:59 PM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: nevragan]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
thanks Neveragain. I would like it if were all nice and friendly . Unfortanetley the children pay. I like it to leave it to the individual; wheather he/she would Wishes to B who they Are! I dont want people to tak eany thing frojmmy identity or PERsonALitY. Validation IS important, Always.
To be unloved is sad. Very sad.
James

#363853 - 06/08/11 10:56 AM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: Sterling]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

For those who want some more context and history about therapy to prevent boys from being gay, CNN began a three part series last night on "The 'Sissy-boy' Experiment: Therapy designed to make feminine boys more masculine".

In just the first part, I was struck by how a happy child's life can be turned into a nightmare by the manipulation and experimentation of adults, and that the impacts of this kind abuse can be life-long, and even life-ending.

The researcher working with Kirk built a "conversion therapy" career on these experiments and their "success". That researcher is George Rekers , a member of the founding board of the Family Research Council and, until recently, a board member of NARTH until he was caught returning from a vacation with a "rent boy" by the Miami New Times.

-efm

#363945 - 06/10/11 07:38 AM Re: SSA Article by Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D. [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here are Part 2:

And Part 3 (where Nicolosi makes an appearance):

-efm

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.