Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
6 registered (Jude, jmr2191, don64, wiresguy1, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445576 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#360147 - 04/19/11 12:46 AM Re: Hangover [Re: CruxFidelis]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Peter

I married my wife a year and four months after the rape. No I didn’t tell her. That would come twenty years later) I was confident that I was over the “event” (my only ‘word’ at the time) frankly; I didn’t understand for years that it was a rape. Rape was something that was done to women, and even that I thought was rare. It wasn’t something possible to do to a man. (I know, I was dumb) Some – come to think of it, only here on MS - have indirectly criticized me, via threads, for not telling the woman I deeply loved and admired. But damn, I didn’t even know what to call it, let along understand the long term issues especially sense these troublesome issues mostly developed later. But then again in all honesty they are right, I’m defenseless I was a coward. I should have done it differently. I should have done a lot of things differently. Lots and lots of “should of’s”

As to live with the Hutterites, no my dear friend “rock music” strictly forbidden. Lots of music though, singing is a huge part of their way of sharing in common their connection with each other and their God. You forgot to mention the black and white polka dot scarfs for the women and blue button up long sleeve shirts for the men. Oh ya, and the beards, don’t forget the beards.

Hutterites communities were born in Germany, so it is the first language for the elders but English was spoken as the community’s everyday language, at least around me. Their roots are grounded in the Anabaptist movement. They unlike Amish (Also part of the Anabaptist movement) do not reject the idea of modern machinery and such but because of their choice to live life simply so as to not be distracted from God and also I believe so others may simply live they don’t own cars for every adult member. One or two vehicles per 1000 or so will do just fine. ;-) I’m not an expert on the Hutterites but they were an amazing group that touched my heart with a peace I’d never known. But I was too damaged, far too jaded to remain there plus my spiritual journey had many more places to go.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#360153 - 04/19/11 01:23 AM Re: Hangover [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi Earl,

I don't know if I could give up rock music like that, but I do like the idea of singing being part of community life. It's cool to have access to millions of recorded musical pieces on a place such as iTunes but in a way, it cheapens the experience of making music... it becomes something you manufacture and sell while communities are losing their sense of folk music. Heck, you don't even have to actually sing to be a famous pop singer these days, most of what is on the radio is auto-tuned to hell.

My arms don't have the strength for guitar anymore, but when I have energy, I sit at the piano and just bang on those keys, playing music that I normally would reserve for guitar. But when I'm not rocking out, my family hears me play a lot of classical music as well, with some folk songs and hymns, too. And no one but my son can hear me whispering the tunes to gregorian changs, singing him to sleep...

I do love it when someone joins me at the piano, and I love to accompany my sisters when they sing their little duets together. My wife and I have always loved singing together, and while my voice has changed due to pulmonary issues/some hormonal issues related to the assault, I do still attempt tosing, although i am very self conscious now. I do like the idea of a culture like the Hutterites that sees music as something you make, not just something you buy.

Getting married a year and 4 months after rape... my goodness. You must have really pulled yourself up from your bootstraps. It has been a year and 6 months since my rape... I think if I were single at the time of my rape I don't think I ever would be able to marry... can't even get my act together enough to try having sex with my own wife.

I can relate to not having a vocabulary to describe what happened. I heard the word "assault" said by police a lot so it is the language I use now, even though I later learned that he raped me too. Sexual assault left me too stunned to even know what to say. I still don't really know what to say to people... and I have the vocabulary for it now. if people here think my writing is inarticulate, they should try having a spoken conversation with me post-assault, you would think I was hit on the head, too.

Would it have been better to tell your wife about the rape before you got married? Of course. But you were operating with the understanding that you were over the "event" and that it wouldn't affect you... In your own time, you were able to find the words to tell her, and I am thankful that you now have her support in your life. Your story about disclosing to your wife was hugely instrumental in helping me to disclose to my own wife, and that has impacted my life in ways that drastically improve my everyday life & functioning.

Peter

- Saint John of the Cross

#360154 - 04/19/11 01:50 AM Re: Hangover [Re: CruxFidelis]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peter,

My wife carries within her the kindest spirit. She’s grown strong over the years living with the sorts of me but she still brings peace to any room she enters. That was hugely attractive to me at the particular time she entered my devastated world. We are actually about as opposite as two humans can get but have loved and admired each other through tough times and good times.

Sometimes after reading some of the threads about the “dishonesty” of silence displayed by men I’ll turn to her and apologize. I see it in her eyes and I hear it from her lips she understands just how horrific the raping must have been to silence an honest man.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#360155 - 04/19/11 03:12 AM Re: Hangover [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Yes, Earl, you are an honest man. I don't think you were lying and I'd guess that she wishes she could have known earlier so she could have supported you earlier. I remember the day when I did tell my wife, she asked me, "Why didn't you tell me when this was happening?" If I told her, she would have pulled me out of that hospital, that man would have been convicted... I could have gotten out of it. Somehow, that didn't register as an option at the time. I don't know why. I still beat myself up over it, even now... why didn't I say anything? I stupidly believed the threats and brainwashing of that perpetrator. I was in too much pain to think. would you have told me that I was dishonest at that time?

#360171 - 04/19/11 08:18 AM Re: Hangover [Re: CruxFidelis]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peter, I believe being silenced because one is faced with an experience outside of their understanding is not the same thing as being a dishonest person. Here on MS I use, what could be referred to as a lie (An avatar) to protect myself and family for to say I’m Earl Phillips from Vantage, WA, is frightening. I don’t fear reprisal from my rapist or other predators. Frankly they are the least of my worries. I dread society and the ignorance I’ve experienced on several occasions when I was “honest”. It’s a crap shoot as to know who will reach out in kindness and who will back hand you with a glance, then their own silence. But then again their silence may be a trigger reaction to my story and has nothing to do with rejecting me but protecting themselves. But either way it feels awful.

When you say that speaking up “did not register as an option” I felt my heart sink. I couldn’t have phrased it any better. Speaking up, going to my parents, my girlfriend at the time, protesting to the college, THE POLICE. No not even on my radar. I was far too busy distancing myself from everyone I knew and trying desperately to keep myself from finishing what they had failed to do.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#360174 - 04/19/11 08:42 AM Re: Hangover [Re: earlybird]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
((eb))

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#360175 - 04/19/11 09:10 AM Re: Hangover [Re: Mountainous Buck]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Buck (((hugs all around))) I think we could all use a few.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#360182 - 04/19/11 10:21 AM Re: Hangover [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Originally Posted By: earlybird
I dread society and the ignorance I’ve experienced on several occasions when I was “honest”. It’s a crap shoot as to know who will reach out in kindness and who will back hand you with a glance, then their own silence. But then again their silence may be a trigger reaction to my story and has nothing to do with rejecting me but protecting themselves. But either way it feels awful.

Or, they could be stunned. Just like it's not part of our language as men to talk abour rape, a lot of times the other men in our lives don't know how to express that they care. Again, it's the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis--the idea that the structure of our language can confine our worldview. Language helps us to develop our thoughts. We store the ideas and images in sentences so we can go back to them later, and this externalization of thought allows for later development of ideas and processing of emotions. It doesn't mean that we as male ASA survivors are doomed to being stuck in our own disturbing truths. It does mean that as a culture, our language needs to grow and expand to accommodate the experience of male ASA, and that can start in organizations like Male Survivor that claim to speak for us.

My brother responded in silence the night I told him. He later told me, he had never thought about the idea that a man could be raped, and I think it was particularly hard for him to accept that it could be his older brother. I've been a source of protection and guidance over the years, but still, I ended up in a situation where I could not protect myself.

I am sorry for times you have disclosed to others and maybe the silence was from prejudice or judgment. You have placed enough judgment on yourself for one lifetime, I think. I do fear that kind of prejudice from the guys I used to hang around with before my sexual assault/rape. I worry they'll think I'm gay, I worry they'll think I'm less of a man, or that I cheated on my wife. I don't look down on any of the gay men here or in my own family... my little brother came out this year and I didn't tell him to change or anything, he is probably my closest friend right now. But somehow, the idea of my guy friends thinking I'm gay is unsettling....

Edited by CruxFidelis (04/19/11 10:23 AM)
Edit Reason: punctuation

#360544 - 04/23/11 11:21 AM Re: Hangover [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Feeling like one is being silenced is a very powerless feeling for the individual. I find the voices here very empowering and healing and I thank you Earl for kicking this off here. I have been pondering much of what has been said here the last few days.

A very good conversation indeed by all here. I am still pondering...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.