Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
3 registered (jon-jon, truestory, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443466 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#358075 - 03/30/11 10:04 AM Employment in a learning field... w/o a degree
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I am interested in non travelling work where I can interact with students or a learning environment vocation.

I want similar work to admissions, counseling, guidance, career orientation, HR, in a college like environment.

I feel best suited for and tested high in social work, but I am 43 this year, and am not in a position to finance college and support my family, with which currently I am again unemployed.

What am I looking for? Is it conceivable? Is it practical?

Thanks,
Sam

#359740 - 04/15/11 06:02 AM Re: Employment in a learning field... w/o a degree [Re: SamV]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I'll settle for a burger flipping job at this point!

Yikes!

I am finding I just need work with other supportive people, what is out there for a no degree getting older guy like me?

#359753 - 04/15/11 09:54 AM Re: Employment in a learning field... w/o a degree [Re: SamV]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
"I am interested in non travelling work where I can interact with students or a learning environment vocation."

There are so many opportunities. I don't have a degree and I worked as a camp counsellor, staff at a wilderness addictions treatment facility, with persons with disabilities, and as a facilitator of a violence prevention program in schools.

ANYTHING is possible when your heart is in it.

Please let us know how your journey goes!

#359756 - 04/15/11 10:22 AM Re: Employment in a learning field... w/o a degree [Re: risingagain]
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sam....volunteer work...there is so much we can do to help others that is also healing. Flip the burge3rs but look to all the places in your town who need volunteers.

Around here there is always a need for youth mentors etc.

Good luck.

Keith

Edited by kb8715 (04/15/11 10:22 AM)

#359795 - 04/15/11 03:36 PM Re: Employment in a learning field... w/o a degree [Re: kb8715]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
AT 33 I lost my job and had to make some decisions. I choose to return to school. It was the best choice of my life. I was not sure where I would get the money. I was surprised to find the money came.

If you have children, you most likely qualify for a grant to pay tuition at least. Work study on top of that will get you some money. And Loans. I was also able to find other money, you’re here, so you likely suffer from some kind of disorder like PTSD, there is money from VOC rehab. If you lost your job because it was sent overseas there is “Trade Act” money (this is the best if you can qualify). While there are some scholarships that are only available to younger people, there is also money for older students returning school. My first semester at school I had more money than when I was working.

Money is not as big an obstacle as you think. Don’t go for a 6 year masters, but a 2 year degree is doable even at your age. Right now is the time to return to school because so many older people have returned. You would be surprised how many non-traditional students there is right now, because of the recession. You’ll fit right in. Your specific circumstances may vary, Go talk to your college finance department, they can help you find money.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.