Local Male Survivor and Oprah Show Participant Speaks Out
Our VOICE, Buncombe County’s sexual violence and prevention center, is hosting an encore viewing of the Oprah Show, “Male Survivors Stand Together”. In His Own Words: Male Survivors Speak Out, will take place on Thursday, April 28th, from 7-9pm at the Fine Arts Theatre in downtown Asheville. This free viewing will include a discussion with Asheville resident, Scott Lamb, who was part of this Oprah Show.
Our VOICE’s Executive Director, Barb Anderson highlights, “Providing a space for men to speak openly about childhood sexual abuse is essential for our community to find ways to support them in their healing. Thanks to the courage of Scott and his efforts, we are able to partner with him in bringing this taboo secret to light.”
Scott Lamb, local resident, Oprah show participant, and male survivor of child sexual abuse notes the importance of sharing his experience, “Sharing my story helps to lessen the shame. The more that I use the sexual abuse as a way to help others, the more I move beyond myself and beyond my own pain.” In His Own Words takes place during Sexual Assault Awareness Month and seeks to raise awareness about male survivors of sexual abuse and assault, diminish the stigma associated with sexual violence, and increase support for male survivors and their loved ones.
Attendees are welcome to join Our VOICE staff and community members in the Fine Arts Theatre’s Critic’s Lounge following the viewing for informal discussion and appetizers.
This event additionally marks the beginning of, Our VOICE’s Connections, a male survivor support group running weekly throughout the summer. If you have any questions regarding this event, please contact Ashley Brown, Our VOICE’s social work intern, at www.ashleyelizabethbrown@gmail.com or by phone at 828.252.0562. Information regarding this event can also be found on Our VOICE’s website at www.ourvoicenc.org.