Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
2 registered (bluesky, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63397 Topics
443267 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#392620 - 04/07/12 08:41 AM . [Re: CruxFidelis]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 11:08 PM)

#392621 - 04/07/12 08:44 AM . [Re: dark empathy]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 11:08 PM)

#392633 - 04/07/12 10:37 AM Re: Question to survivors on dreaming and imagination [Re: Life's A Dream]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i used to think i did not dream. but more recently i have several times been awakened abruptly and am aware that i am in the midst of a dream. almmost certainly if i were to wake up on my own, i would have forgotten or repressed the dream. happened this morning. i was in deep sleep and my wife woke me for an early morning date we had planned. I had a brief flash of an image from a dream - not a pleasant one - and then it was gone. nothing of what went before. when i wake up at a regular time, i do not remember anything - almost like my subconscious is wrapping it all up before i wake so i don't remember. sometimes i know i have dreamed but have no idea what it was - just a vague sense of unease. past few weeks i have had several vivid dreams that i DID remember - very rare - but each one was very symbolic in a way that the images and events were very safe - nothing that would trigger - but definitely were saying something in a more indirect way...

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#392636 - 04/07/12 11:21 AM Re: Question to survivors on dreaming and imagination [Re: CruxFidelis]
Jim1104 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, USA
My wife told me once, in the not so distant past, that she didn't know if she could ultimately stay with me if I wasn't willing to make future plans. What, she asked, was my vision. What did I plan regarding trips, etc.

My answer to the question was not so forthcoming at the time, but it really is simple. I have difficulty planning a future, and divising a grand scheme for my life because:

1 - For the past forty years, my main goal in life was to be dead. Not necessarily that have been actively trying anything in recent times, just that i didn't want to be alive.

2 - It's really hard to envision long range goals when I am just trying to survive until I can go to sleep and forget about the day.

That is basically my answer.

#392638 - 04/07/12 11:25 AM Re: Question to survivors on dreaming and imagination [Re: traveler]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I have always day dreamed--seeing what I wanted in life but knew I would not get--let me correct that--thought I was not entitled to have. It was pure fantasy, it allowed me to escape the memories and pain. I know they thoughts were deep because I missed so much around me--people talking, laughing and being startled back. Was scary. And when the memories and pain became so disturbing and painful I totally left, not remembering anything and being places I could not understand why or how I got there.

My sleep dreams were few but when they came, I always would see the abuse and what was being done to me and what I was made to do.

So I guess when I was in control of the fragmented part of me, I saw what I should have, when I lost control I was left to be taken by the child that only knew hurt and abuse--so he tried to find it as he had as a child. In my night time dreams I was not in control, so the dreams were horrific. I guess control of myself let me live a life of imagination and when I was not in control the memories and pain took over. Now as I heal and integrate the internal battle is not as strong--I or should I say we are moving ahead. The pain is being released through acknowledgement and acceptance of the abuse and pain, the talking about it--so life is more reality and not the "pretend" to hide the abuse.

My dreams during sleep still sometimes drift back to the abuse and specific parts of the abuse and words spoken. But the dreams no longer destroy me emotionally and physically. I can return to a sleep quicker than in the past. I know realistically the memories will be there and I will be revisited by the abuse but I now can understand them and not let them destroy me.

Hopefully, in the future I will have more sleep dreams that are pleasurable and reflect good times. Slowly, they are coming.

Kevin

#392650 - 04/07/12 02:50 PM Re: Question to survivors on dreaming and imagination [Re: Life's A Dream]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Dreams are short. People remember very few. Does he dream in color? I do. I can see in color just closing my eyes and visualizing. Only about 3% imagine and dream in color. Most rarely think about what they see. They think it might be but most times it isn't. If you have a vivid imagination or daydream, your dream life will suck. I can generally tell people what they mean. Dreams are a release during REM sleep. It's just the subconscious mind, which sees and hears everything, working out things. When I write stories or just want to create a movie, I can see it just like I'm there. More fun than reality can possibly imagine.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.