Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
5 registered (WriterKeith, YYZGIRL, dan_in_newengland, Shyshark, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#358928 - 04/07/11 07:34 PM Late Onset of Puberty
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Could the very, very active sexual abuse activity ans subsequeent very very active acting-out have caused the late onset of puberty that I experienced (15.5 yo)?

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#358942 - 04/07/11 10:20 PM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: Still]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I've got to admit that I've wondered that myself from time to time Robbie - don't know the answer though...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#358961 - 04/08/11 01:31 AM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I've also wondered about this matter.

In my case puberty didn't ensue until 14 1/2 years of age, which was kind of late. But boys in those days all matured later than boys today.

Not only did I reach puberty later than a lot of my peers, but even the eruption of my teeth was slowed or stopped. Tooth eruption is almost a standard indication of chronological age. The baby teeth are lost and the new adult teeth erupt in their place. My cuspid teeth (the ones with the point) failed to erupt as normal and the baby cuspid teeth had to be surgically removed. They would normally come in at about 12 years of age, the age at which I received horrific abuse.

http://www.secretofthieves.com/tooth-chart/tooth-chart-eruption.pdf

I think I was also a bit shorter than many of my peers of the same age.

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (04/08/11 03:13 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification of tooth eruption

#358981 - 04/08/11 07:42 AM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: pufferfish]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK...this may be an issue, because a LOT of survivors report the same thing.

The scary part is that late-onset keeps the targeted victim attractive to the pervs.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#359051 - 04/08/11 09:49 PM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: Still]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

This may tip the scale the other way a bit but I wondered as a kid if the abuse me to experience an earlier than usual onset of puberty...

#359059 - 04/08/11 10:49 PM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: WalkingSouth]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: WalkingSouth
This may tip the scale the other way a bit but I wondered as a kid if the abuse me to experience an earlier than usual onset of puberty...

That's why it's so puzzling. I've talked this subject over with my T and he says that abuse often causes earlier sexual maturation.

In either case it means that abuse not only messes with our brain but with our glandular (endocrine) system. (I have posted on effects on the brain previously, citing a scientific article).

However, if it either speeds up or slows down sexual maturation, either way, that means that the abuse messes with our endocrine system (our glands). Not just our sex glands and associated glands, but it must mess with the pituitary gland (hypophysis).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituitary_gland

Allen

#359060 - 04/08/11 10:53 PM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: WalkingSouth]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Quote:
The scary part is that late-onset keeps the targeted victim attractive to the pervs.

I hear ya there Robbie... - I was very late to have any hair or size growth down there - a fact that my uncle made sure to mention regularly (heck, kids in the gym showers teased me about it too)

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#359061 - 04/08/11 10:59 PM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: TJ jeff]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yeah...such a thing does not go un-noticed anywhere. It clearly got around to everyone in my high school that I was the last one. Real fun when they already call you "fagboy."

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#359068 - 04/08/11 11:58 PM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: Still]
Charlie24 Offline

For me puberty development involved oversexualized thoughts running through my head constantly. I still have OCD sexual thoughts. I know that is part of my problem and really does inhibit my recovery. I realize when I am around other guys, not all guys that I get these urges or feelings or thoughts that I need to be sexual with them. I guess my brain synapses have developed this shit. Now I need to unbreak these and figure out what it is I really want sexually.

God all these memories you guys are sharing, your writing the shit from my book as well. So fucked up, really fucked up.

Charlie.

#359072 - 04/09/11 01:04 AM Re: Late Onset of Puberty [Re: Still]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK - There is an excellent article on PTSD in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTSD

It says:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia on PTSD

most people with PTSD also show a low secretion of cortisol and high secretion of catecholamines in urine, with a norepinephrine/cortisol ratio consequently higher than comparable non-diagnosed individuals.[19] This is in contrast to the normative fight-or-flight response, in which both catecholamine and cortisol levels are elevated after exposure to a stressor.[20]

Brain catecholamine levels are low,[21] and corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) concentrations are high.[22][23] Together, these findings suggest abnormality in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis.

Given the strong cortisol suppression to dexamethasone in PTSD, HPA axis abnormalities are likely predicated on strong negative feedback inhibition of cortisol, itself likely due to an increased sensitivity of glucocorticoid receptors.[24] Some researchers have associated the response to stress in PTSD with long-term exposure to high levels of norepinephrine and low levels of cortisol, a pattern associated with improved learning in animals

So what this means in plain English is, YES, abuse does affect the function of the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is the master control gland in the body. It secretes, among other things, Growth Hormone. So messing with it would affect the rate of development.

Allen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.