Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63105 Topics
441302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#359178 - 04/09/11 09:05 PM Re: Military Sexual Assault Article - Poss. Triggers [Re: prisonerID]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi Daryl,

So I am guessing you primarily get female sexual assault victims, or are there people coming forward about sexual abuse in their childhood as well? I still think it shows a lot of compassion on your part to listen to all of those painful stories while at the same time carrying the pain of your own story of rape.

Some of my friends from college eventually went on to become therapists. Many of them have said that it is very hard to take on the burden of other peoples' pain without it somehow affecting your personal life. That is why a few of my therapist friends also have therapists of their own. It seems extremely unfair that you would have to work on this council at work while not having a therapist to talk about your own issues.

I am sorry you have to work with such narrow minded people.

- Saint John of the Cross

#359240 - 04/10/11 12:15 PM Re: Military Sexual Assault Article - Poss. Triggers [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Peter,

It is mostly those who have been abused before as children and some as teens. Some right before they come to us with little or no help been offered for them. On occasion something happens while they are with us when they go home for weekends. We then act on that if they or family members notify us.

Every great once in a while an allegation is made on center and we act upon those as well. Yes, mostly female. With males it is about what has happened in their past. Males are less likely to come forward as you and others here are well aware of being true.

I do pretty good at blocking it all out but at times I can barely hang in there to do what needs to be done. Sometimes I think I need to look for other types of work. Too bad I have little talent. smile

#359247 - 04/10/11 01:36 PM Re: Military Sexual Assault Article - Poss. Triggers [Re: prisonerID]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi Daryl,

Don't sell yourself short. of course you have talents. We all do. A second career can be right for some people, but often it takes a few sacrifices and the transition is not always smooth & easy. But I am sure there are other things you are good at smile

I wonder how much the "blocking it out" transfers over to your personal life. With such a job, I imagine it is hard to maintain the boundary between personal and professional.

- Saint John of the Cross

#359380 - 04/11/11 11:46 PM Re: Military Sexual Assault Article - Poss. Triggers [Re: CruxFidelis]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: earlybird
(I'm not beating up on the church just giving support to how the groups becomes a gang against victims out of fear of reprisal.

I do beat up on the church for allowing it to continue, they are in a position to stop it, and have not. There can be no holiness in such people, both the perpetrators, and those who protect the perpetrators. I think many priests will find surprise when the pearly gates are closed to them for turning a blind eye.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.