Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
4 registered (Rich1967, 3 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63784 Topics
445423 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#358733 - 04/05/11 10:26 PM antibiotic causes male yeast infection
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I just went to the doc today because I had a "rash" in my groin area that was progressively getting worse - the rash started just a couple of days after I started taking penecillin for strep - at first I thought it was just heat rash (as it is very common for me) - but the redness kept spreading and it was itching worse and worse

the doc told me that it is a yeast infection that was activated by the penecillin (she explained that the antibiotic killed the good bacteria and that caused the yeast to "bloom")

heck... I'd never even heard of a man even getting a yeast infection - so thought I'd post it here and see if anyone else had every had it or even heard of it...

she put me on a antifungal cortiosteroid cream for the next 2 weeks

question is... where the heck did this yeast infection come from???

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#358741 - 04/05/11 11:07 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I never heard it explained that way before, Jeff. I remember taking penecillin for the last time back back in 1997. I don't recall what I was taking it for, but I broke out in a rash, and that was the end of that.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#358844 - 04/07/11 01:24 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Charlie24 Offline

Hey TJ Jeff;

First off DISCLAIMER:

I am not a doctor or an expert on this, I have learned about a small amount of this stuff from my nutrition classes and working with a naturopathic doctor last year.

As you mentioned the good bacteria is all killed off in our bodies. We have certain types of bacteria in our gut that help with digestion as well as perform a myriad of other functions.

We have good and bad bacteria in our guts.

The theory is that when the bad bacteria out number the good bacteria in our guts we get health issues.

Often the bad bacteria are more "durable" or "resistant" to kill offs, are the best words I can come up with and can often survive the kill off by antibiotics.

I know what you mean about how did a guy get a yeast infection, cause we so often associate it with women but my professors have said that men have yeast in their bodies as well.

Like I said I am no expert, just have learned a few things.

The naturopathic doctor I saw last year believed I had a condition called Candida which is believed to be yeast overgrowth in the human body. Not sure if it really exits or not but I was put on antifungals cause yeast are fungi.

Okay enough lecturing. I hoped I was able to provide some insight into why you got it bud.

Charlie.

#358941 - 04/07/11 10:17 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Charlie24]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanx Andy and Charlie

in the past couple of days I've done a lot of researching to try to figure out just exactly how this rash happened

in all of the research I'be done (and from pictures I've seen) it appears very much that I do NOT have a male yeast infection - it just does'nt look or act like what I've seen/heard described

that said... it does seem to be responding to the anti-fungal cream that I've been putting on it for the past 2 days

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#358963 - 04/08/11 01:41 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm glad the medication is working.

Sometimes changing something minor will help a great deal. I taught in Africa for 2 years. A lot of guys develop fungus on their crotch because of the high humidity. Just changing the type of underwear I used made a big difference. I grew up wearing briefs, which fit kind of tightly. I changed to that other kind which doesn't fit tightly and that made a huge difference.

This will sound strange, but I got fungus on my hands and under some finger nails from scratching my groin area sick . They have much better medicines for that now, but I had to figure out how to treat that difficult problem. If anybody needs to know what I did, I will respond if you ask me.

Allen

#359195 - 04/09/11 11:13 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: pufferfish]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm of the opinion that I may be going back to the doctor again... but wanted to post here to see if anyone had any suggestions first for alternative treatments (because it's the doc's per>

TJ's History

#359199 - 04/09/11 11:28 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
Had it. Fixed it. Vagisil. believe it or not.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#360145 - 04/18/11 11:59 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Still]
john9890 Offline

Vaginal yeast infection cure, or vaginal candidiasis, is a common term used for a fungal infection that develops inside the vulva or vagina. Vaginal yeast infection is caused by one of several types of the Candida species, which are normally present in feminine vagina in very small numbers. In healthy women, naturally existent microorganisms control the growth pace of the Candida fungus, while in an infected woman’s body hastened multiplication occurs.

#360160 - 04/19/11 05:46 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Still]
Czaesar72 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California, USA
I've never heard of this before, but I do know that women get yeast infections and they use vagisil for it, so it totally make sense that vagisil would work on male yeast infection as well.

I'm not a doctor either (far from it), but what Robbie said makes complete sense to me.

Robbie I'm glad you were able to get rid of it.

TJ Jeff, I really hope you are able to get rid of it as well.

Sincerely,

Edited by Czaesar72 (04/19/11 05:46 AM)

The strength of a man isn't in the weight he can lift; it is the burdens he can understand and overcome.

#360238 - 04/19/11 08:13 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Czaesar72]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks guys,

I've been using a few diffrent creams (antifungals) and the external rash is mostly gone (though the shin is still very dark in the area where the rash was)

I still don't know what to do about my penis though - the discharge that I was having tapered off the day before I was going to make an appiontment with my doc (and I'd really like to cure it without having to go back in and be put through the embarrasment - but I don't really know what to do for an infection that is internal to my erethra)

TJ's History

#360267 - 04/20/11 12:11 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Czaesar72 Offline
MaleSurvivor

As embarrassing as it may be, I'd go to the doctor....

The strength of a man isn't in the weight he can lift; it is the burdens he can understand and overcome.

#360293 - 04/20/11 10:13 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Czaesar72]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
Ya talk to your doctor, say I had an infection that appears to have either originated or migrated to my penis. Look him in the eye and say - "fix it".

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#360296 - 04/20/11 10:49 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: philistine]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have a fungus infection in my ear (not rear). How do I know? It doesn't respond to salves that treat bacterial infections (such as polysporin or bacitracin). So I spray a q-tip with an anti-fungal preparation (Tinactin) (easy to get) and swab my ear carefully. I can actually hear the medicine penetrating the little fungal threads. I use a clean sterile q-tip every time and I use a different cotton tip for each ear.

When I was a boy, my mother used to repeat an old country saying: 'If your ears itch it means somebody's talking about you'. I used to respond by asking: 'If your nose itches, does that mean somebody is smelling about you'.

Allen

#360493 - 04/22/11 10:01 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: pufferfish]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

just wanted to post an update to say that I will be going in to the doc next Tuesday (the discharge is back) - it was the earliest i could get in with my pcp - it's going to be mighty embarassing but I think it'll be easier with her than it would be with a male doc

TJ's History

#360666 - 04/24/11 05:26 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had a good chat with my daughter. She has successfully treated a little boy (my grandson) who has a yeast (Candida) infection on his bottom.

She also went through several medications unsuccessfully. The yeast has yielded to bathing him in a warm bath with the following dissolved in the water:

1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup epsom salts

She also adds a few drops (3) of an essential oil such as peppermint oil to the water.

Do this twice daily.

This treatment is based on a scientific approach. It changes the pH (acidity) of the skin.

Perhaps the penis treatment could be adapted by changing the pH (acidity) of your urine. Do this by drinking something which is pretty acidic (but not damagingly so). You probably don't want to drink vinegar. Can you think of some fruit juice which is pretty acidic? Orange juice or lemon juice? I think cranberry juice (without sugar) would work. Take a bunch of vitamin C (harmless ascorbic acid).

I know this is possible because it's what people with kidney stones try to do, that is, to keep their urine acidic so as to not form kidney stones.

The scientific name of the affliction of having a yeast infection is "Candidiasis". Pronounced like candy + die + asses.

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (04/24/11 05:56 PM)

#360747 - 04/25/11 09:45 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: pufferfish]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanx for the advice Allen

I am working on changing my body ph already and will incorparate your suggestions into my routine - been staying away from sugars because I've heard that the Candidiasis feeds on sugars

the infection seems to be comming from the inside out - so I'm guessing I need to change my internal ph level

am feeling a bit aprehensive (heck, I'm feeling ashamed) of my appointment tomorrow - I don't like regular physicals where they check below the beltline - I guess I'm just feeling a bit ashamed of having an infection in such a private place

TJ's History

#360754 - 04/26/11 12:21 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

TJ jeff

I don't know how you can do that. I've always heard that changing the body pH by even a small amount is not possible. The blood is "buffered" within fine tolerances and can't be messed with. I'm concerned.

Allen

#360832 - 04/26/11 10:09 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: pufferfish]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just wanted a give a quick update after my appt today - the doc put me on fluconazole (an oral fungal killer)

TJ's History

#360850 - 04/27/11 02:29 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jeff, that sounds right.

Allen

#360928 - 04/28/11 10:15 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio
If you take Vitamin C it will raise your pH enough to act as a preventative, the yeast can't grow out of control in the more acidic environment (your body). This is probably too late as I hope your well on the mend, but may be helpful to know in the future. This is something a friend shared with me who goes to a Homeopathic doctor, it works for them.

#360997 - 04/28/11 10:13 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: 1.healing]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

hate to say it but I'm not sure the Fluconazole is going to do it in 1 dose (good thing she gave me a per>

TJ's History

#361081 - 04/29/11 11:59 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Czaesar72 Offline
MaleSurvivor

TJ Jeff,

I hope that medicine works for you. smile

#361102 - 04/30/11 09:54 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Czaesar72]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

does'nt seem like the 1st pill worked - am taking the 2nd pill today

TJ's History

#361193 - 05/01/11 07:39 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
May I strongly suggest a chiropractor? Its amazing what they can do.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#361197 - 05/01/11 08:24 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Still]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

maybe you took the wrong pill smile

Allen

#361288 - 05/02/11 05:38 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: pufferfish]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Robbie - I have talked to my chiropracter about it (because his whole family is deep into holistic healing also) - I do have a gel that I got from him to put on the external rash area - but even he was in agreement that I needed to see a doc

Allen - Nope, I took the right pill (both times) - I've got my fingers crossed that the 2nd pill will finish the job - time will tell...

the doc said the last time that I was in that if this keeps comming back that it is an indication of an impending diabetic situation (never knew before that diabetes had anything to do with fungal infections)(Diabetes does run in my family - but it's not easy to check me due to my very unique blood structure - hav'nt found a handheld tester that will give an accurate reading) - last time i was tested by the doc was a few years back - but at that time my numbers where real good

TJ's History

#361566 - 05/06/11 02:51 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Czaesar72 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dude I hope everything's works out for you. You have been battling with this for a while now.

#361582 - 05/06/11 11:21 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Czaesar72]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hate to say it Czaesar but it actualy seems to be comming back again (my doc did'nt even think I'd need to take the 2nd pill - she was sure the 1st pill would have done it)

TJ's History

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.