Newest Members
Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2
12503 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
5 registered (sorryson, iaccus, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12503 Members
74 Forums
64194 Topics
447971 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#358733 - 04/05/11 10:26 PM antibiotic causes male yeast infection
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I just went to the doc today because I had a "rash" in my groin area that was progressively getting worse - the rash started just a couple of days after I started taking penecillin for strep - at first I thought it was just heat rash (as it is very common for me) - but the redness kept spreading and it was itching worse and worse

the doc told me that it is a yeast infection that was activated by the penecillin (she explained that the antibiotic killed the good bacteria and that caused the yeast to "bloom")

heck... I'd never even heard of a man even getting a yeast infection - so thought I'd post it here and see if anyone else had every had it or even heard of it...

she put me on a antifungal cortiosteroid cream for the next 2 weeks

question is... where the heck did this yeast infection come from???

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#358741 - 04/05/11 11:07 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I never heard it explained that way before, Jeff. I remember taking penecillin for the last time back back in 1997. I don't recall what I was taking it for, but I broke out in a rash, and that was the end of that.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#358844 - 04/07/11 01:24 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Charlie24 Offline

Hey TJ Jeff;

First off DISCLAIMER:

I am not a doctor or an expert on this, I have learned about a small amount of this stuff from my nutrition classes and working with a naturopathic doctor last year.

As you mentioned the good bacteria is all killed off in our bodies. We have certain types of bacteria in our gut that help with digestion as well as perform a myriad of other functions.

We have good and bad bacteria in our guts.

The theory is that when the bad bacteria out number the good bacteria in our guts we get health issues.

Often the bad bacteria are more "durable" or "resistant" to kill offs, are the best words I can come up with and can often survive the kill off by antibiotics.

I know what you mean about how did a guy get a yeast infection, cause we so often associate it with women but my professors have said that men have yeast in their bodies as well.

Like I said I am no expert, just have learned a few things.

The naturopathic doctor I saw last year believed I had a condition called Candida which is believed to be yeast overgrowth in the human body. Not sure if it really exits or not but I was put on antifungals cause yeast are fungi.

Okay enough lecturing. I hoped I was able to provide some insight into why you got it bud.

Charlie.

#358941 - 04/07/11 10:17 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Charlie24]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanx Andy and Charlie

in the past couple of days I've done a lot of researching to try to figure out just exactly how this rash happened

in all of the research I'be done (and from pictures I've seen) it appears very much that I do NOT have a male yeast infection - it just does'nt look or act like what I've seen/heard described

that said... it does seem to be responding to the anti-fungal cream that I've been putting on it for the past 2 days

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#358963 - 04/08/11 01:41 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm glad the medication is working.

Sometimes changing something minor will help a great deal. I taught in Africa for 2 years. A lot of guys develop fungus on their crotch because of the high humidity. Just changing the type of underwear I used made a big difference. I grew up wearing briefs, which fit kind of tightly. I changed to that other kind which doesn't fit tightly and that made a huge difference.

This will sound strange, but I got fungus on my hands and under some finger nails from scratching my groin area sick . They have much better medicines for that now, but I had to figure out how to treat that difficult problem. If anybody needs to know what I did, I will respond if you ask me.

Allen

#359195 - 04/09/11 11:13 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: pufferfish]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm of the opinion that I may be going back to the doctor again... but wanted to post here to see if anyone had any suggestions first for alternative treatments (because it's the doc's per>

TJ's History

#359199 - 04/09/11 11:28 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: TJ jeff]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Had it. Fixed it. Vagisil. believe it or not.

#360145 - 04/18/11 11:59 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Still]
john9890 Offline

Vaginal yeast infection cure, or vaginal candidiasis, is a common term used for a fungal infection that develops inside the vulva or vagina. Vaginal yeast infection is caused by one of several types of the Candida species, which are normally present in feminine vagina in very small numbers. In healthy women, naturally existent microorganisms control the growth pace of the Candida fungus, while in an infected woman’s body hastened multiplication occurs.

#360160 - 04/19/11 05:46 AM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Still]
Czaesar72 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California, USA
I've never heard of this before, but I do know that women get yeast infections and they use vagisil for it, so it totally make sense that vagisil would work on male yeast infection as well.

I'm not a doctor either (far from it), but what Robbie said makes complete sense to me.

Robbie I'm glad you were able to get rid of it.

TJ Jeff, I really hope you are able to get rid of it as well.

Sincerely,

Edited by Czaesar72 (04/19/11 05:46 AM)

The strength of a man isn't in the weight he can lift; it is the burdens he can understand and overcome.

#360238 - 04/19/11 08:13 PM Re: antibiotic causes male yeast infection [Re: Czaesar72]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks guys,

I've been using a few diffrent creams (antifungals) and the external rash is mostly gone (though the shin is still very dark in the area where the rash was)

I still don't know what to do about my penis though - the discharge that I was having tapered off the day before I was going to make an appiontment with my doc (and I'd really like to cure it without having to go back in and be put through the embarrasment - but I don't really know what to do for an infection that is internal to my erethra)

TJ's History

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.