Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
8 registered (1islandboy, 5 invisible), 74 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62493 Topics
438016 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#355238 - 03/01/11 12:25 PM Groups North of Seattle, Washington?
Remickulous1 Offline

Loc: Pacific NorthWest, WA

Edited by Remickulous1 (06/22/11 04:33 PM)

#355286 - 03/01/11 08:22 PM Re: Groups North of Seattle, Washington? [Re: Remickulous1]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I can't help north of Seattle, but if the one day workshop you registered for was the Mike Lew event, then it's being held at Shepherd's Counseling Service which runs men's recovery groups weekly. Give them a call as a starting point at least.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#355762 - 03/07/11 12:25 AM Re: Groups North of Seattle, Washington? [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Remickulous1,

One tactic you might use in your search for a group might be to contact the Seattle area therapists registered on our MaleSurvivor therapist registry. You can find that list by using the interactive search feature here. Ask them if they are aware of any support groups or therapy groups meeting in your area. Shake the tree and see what falls out smile

#358600 - 04/04/11 05:06 PM Re: Groups North of Seattle, Washington? [Re: Remickulous1]
HarrisLu Offline

I'm also looking for a group in the Seattle area. Also if there isn't currently one that meets would someone be willing to offer me some advice on how to get one started.

Thanks,

#358660 - 04/05/11 07:27 AM Re: Groups North of Seattle, Washington? [Re: HarrisLu]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
I am moving to Vancouver this month and I have been in contact with the Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs. check out their web site for information on forming a group--they train you in sexual abuse advocacy and can provide educational material so you can create and manage a group.
Beleive it -some survivors after a few years of therapy, self searching and peer support have a insight beyond some of the professionals about male SA issues and conditions.
Starting a group would be a big responsibility--groups can have different agendas, casual or serious. Some should be closed with a LSCW attenting and others would do fine at Denny's or the IHOP.
All depends on the groups overall purpose.
Information is on the internet on forming groups. Just do key word searches like--forming a _________group. Click on Sexual Abuse Prevention Organizations and locate education or training.
check out -- www.wcsap.org -- the info there should give you an idea of the leadership involved creating a group.
Also maybe something on this site available -- www.sexassault.meetup.com
I guess it is going to be up to us survivors to form groups. Otherwise they would be there when we look, most local services and rape crisis centers have no listed mens groups and few womens. Most professionals I run into have not heard of MS here on the internet and have found it a great resource when you tell them.
So-I'll keep you informed if you want. I talked to them about advocacy training and a program format today with a lady Donna, Trish the advocacy contact was off Monday and I had excellent rapport with Donna--she expressed a need for mens orientated services--I expect a call today the 5th.
Stay tough

Edited by men_of_hrts.dbw (04/05/11 07:44 AM)
Edit Reason: spell ck
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.