Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#358625 - 04/04/11 08:27 PM Why Dig In The Dirt?
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Iíve just come in from the back yard where Iím digging a space beneath an ornamental blue pine to build a small pond. I like the serene character of ponds and the graceful goldfish that inhabit them. They bring a flowing sense of calm to those swirling currents of SA that attempt to erode my inner banks. Writing poetry has a similar affect, well at least the ones that donít go dark. Far too many do. But far more donít they just donít have a place here.

Okay, I know whatís the big deal about shoveling dirt to make tiny ditches filled with water from my garden hose? Insignificant stuff really, when comparing it to being raped or or assaulted. Yet, I find creating, these pools, that most likely will fill up with moss creating another maintenance nightmare, necessary for my healing.

What do others do to find meaning and comfort?

Edited by earlybird (04/04/11 08:29 PM)

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#358626 - 04/04/11 08:39 PM Re: Why Dig In The Dirt? [Re: earlybird]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I will make something new and delicious from scratch for friends or us to eat. Something to do with creation and nurturing life in the face of adversity, which, knowing your climate, applies to your situation in spades (Spades! Geddit!).

I remember something I heard on NPR about the calming simplicity of "small things done well" and this has that feel.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#358635 - 04/04/11 10:08 PM Re: Why Dig In The Dirt? [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I try and figure out how to fix something, whether it's a part of the house, or some small item. I find some fulfillment in repairing something. I once fixed my old cordless phone from 1994 a couple years back. I was able to look up the part I needed, and 12 bucks later it was working again, instead of tossed in the trash. Restoring value to a broken item feels good.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#358642 - 04/05/11 12:34 AM Re: Why Dig In The Dirt? [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
You must have one kick-ass yard, Earl!!

These days, the biggest source of meaning and comfort for me is my son. It isn't easy trying to be "all there" for him and a lot of time I just retreat into my own thoughts while I'm holding him, but often I stare into those little brown eyes and that little smile i'm able to tune out some of the memories from my assault and just try to be a dad. being with him makes me fee l like my esistence matters

- Saint John of the Cross

#358784 - 04/06/11 12:09 PM Re: Why Dig In The Dirt? [Re: CruxFidelis]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio
Nature has such wonderful healing properties it just makes such seemingly simple, uncomplicated sense. I know there's much more complexity to it, but I think you understand what I mean. Ironically I live in a very urban setting and don't get much of a nature fix here, it's something I have to head out to. However I'm a pretty good container gardener and the rather flat rooftop here has more and more appeal all the time. I think above all other things... it's the natural world which is the most healing and comforting to me.

George Elliot

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."

Virginia Woolf

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.