Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (WriterKeith, 1 invisible), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63103 Topics
441289 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#357605 - 03/24/11 09:57 PM Re: DID or multiple personalities (*TRIGGERS*) [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I don't know why we have to be ashamed of DID or multiple personality disorder. Of course there are occasionally some people who have alters or personalities who misbehave, and do so in a way that gets the person in trouble. But really that is very, very rare. The press and media have occasionally gotten hold of this issue and done damage. But how is that any different than the problems others without DID in our society have when they get in trouble?

But DID or multiple personality disorder is not a spooky thing at all. It's not as though the person is different people or anything. The movie Sybil dramatized the problem but also communicated some misunderstandings. They (DIDs) are first of all people who have suffered a lot, usually at a tender age. They have developed the different personalities or alters to deal with abuse in their lives.

What if we did this with a major disease like cancer? When I was a boy cancer was greatly feared. It was actually communicated to me that it might be a communicable disease. Yet that idea was completely wrong. It (cancer) was looked upon with great fear. The fear could potentially lead to lack of treatment or inadequate diagnosis. It would hurt those who suffered with it because it would make the disorder something reprehensible. Yet at this point most cancers are successfully treated. I read in one of my text books that occasionally people were so ashamed of their cancer that they didn't seek treatment. The analogy holds true for DID or multiple personality disorder. It is a treatable disorder. Although exact figures are lacking it would appear that most DID sufferers are highly treatable. Lack of understanding and compassion makes it a lot harder for them.

Allen

#357644 - 03/25/11 10:23 AM Re: DID or multiple personalities (*TRIGGERS*) [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Allen! Who said you should be ashamed?!?!?????!!!!! Not me!!!!!

Gosh!!! You're projecting here, my friend!

Oh - & I watched "Inception" yesterday.

Not sure I get how it is similar to MPD, because in the movie, the people moved through different states of facts, but each person dreaming, always remained themselves. It was the people AROUND them that changed. Which is different than MPD, where the "I" identifies as a different person, but those around you are the same.

As I understand it.

Edited by Disappointed (03/25/11 10:27 AM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.