Newest Members
jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas, JHNebraska
12494 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
3 registered (myrlin, woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12494 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#356218 - 03/11/11 04:03 PM waiting
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I was at the Therapist the other day and as we were talking i had a moment. I told him that despite the fact that I was starting to feel better in some aspects of my life , there was a big part of me that wanted to throw the towel and call it quits. He asked me to explain. I said that I wanted to sit on the road and have people come and tell me that i was gonna be ok and that i raged to have people acknowledge my distress. I need the recognition of what happened.
He simply said: You want to be rescued.
It had never occurred to me in all my adult life that that is what I want. I know it's not gonna happen, i have to rescue myself. But every event in my life, the waiting, the hesitations, the lack of concentration, the failures, all the while i was waiting to be rescued from my abusers. I looked at men and seeked them for that , for comfort , validation, but instead it backfired.
This is a big one for me, I don't know what to do with it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

#356219 - 03/11/11 04:28 PM Re: waiting [Re: Anthony39]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

This is big.......
It's like one of those underlying motivators we cannot see and then it is brought into the present -today....where you are seen.....and in the witness your therapist, you hold yourself accountable......
I would say keep bringing it into consciousness today.....

Anthony.... would love to know more about how you see and experience it .....and how it helps you to know this about yourself....
And I too am a witness to your new awareness about yourself....if I can be so bold........
Thank you for letting us be a part of your journey.....
All the best
Steve

#356221 - 03/11/11 05:17 PM Re: waiting [Re: RecoveryReady1]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
This is big, I quite agree, Steve, and thank you Anthony, for this topic.

I was beginning the weekend of the New Warrior Training Adventure in Lumberton, MS, USA, and came across the term "rescuing". "Don't rescue him", "rescuing is the same as abusing".

These words made me think about those who rescue, and their intentions. I am one who needed to be rescued, or so I thought, so these thoughts intrigued me.
The way it was described to me was that an abuser is one who completely controls another for his own will and satisfaction. A rescuer is one who takes control away from another for their own will. Pretty similar, isn't it?

Interrupting, controlling through money, inappropriate questions about matters that are personal, smacking the hands away and doing the work themselves. This promotes a sense of failure or anxiety when the child tries to accomplish a task.
The victim is helpless to motivate themselves to bettering themselves, why? Because we can create a sense of learned helplessness. We are trained that we cannot do anything or do it right, so therefore, we are helpless.

The problem with that scenario is when the rescuer feels the child, young or middle aged man needs to support himself, it is most likely not a gradual release, but an eruption, an argument over money, or babysitting, or how to interact with his wife or coworkers. The victim can strike out too, demanding his own success, but failure is a reality when the talents and persistence is stifled. The victim needs to discover, recover and in small, empowering, consistently positive ways, produce results that empower him.

This will probably not be at the hands of the ones whom he calls parents, or relatives, unfortunately. He will need to find experience, support and validation in others until he fins it in himself to forgive the mistakes and press on till he is successful.

Here is a perspective of rescuing and enabling versus tough love, take from it what you need.

#356225 - 03/11/11 05:42 PM Re: waiting [Re: SamV]
itrahan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, Gulf Coast
So much to process....so true & apllicable, thanks for sharing.

Ivan

#356227 - 03/11/11 05:45 PM Re: waiting [Re: itrahan]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
((((((((((((anthony))))))))))))

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#356231 - 03/11/11 06:28 PM Re: waiting [Re: Anthony39]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
Originally Posted By: Anthony39
... You want to be rescued....

might have a different pov on this.

so what? i think that is a fine "vacation" from an enormously stressful existence we call life. what is wrong with wanting to be rescued?

you know what? drop me in the middle of the serengeti without food or water and i would not need to be rescued. i'd survive...and i'd fight off tigers and lions with my bare hands - no problem. i find water in cactus. but trying to keep ahead under the current capitalistic rules of our day? no. i can't handle it and i would LOVE to be rescued -- if only for one week in order to catch my breath.

why is it that "males" have to do all the work? we guys, i think, are screwed from the start. we are supposed to be the rescuer. save women, save girls, save the world, save ourselves, save starving people in africa, save poor investors on wall street - we are supposed to do every bloody thing without showing weakness -- and if you fail then you are simply an utter loser as a man.

and yet - not one person rescued us from a child molester. so, what does that actually say about our culture of myths?

i give the big middle finger to what men are supposed to do. men deserve to be saved/rescued/helped just as much as women.

"waiting" is an interesting concept though. and maybe we will wait forever to be rescued because the simple fact is no one "cares" to rescue us.

we have a very selfish culture - a very sad, pessimistic, unhealthy way to see the world perhaps. but that view, i'll admit a very hopeless one, does seem to enable this writer at least to carry on...and do everything from earning a living to solving world hunger in this household, maintaining a smile no matter how i feel inside, take daily employer abuse and smile all the way, battle anxiety and loneliness without speaking a word, and trying to compete with all the men (the knights in shining armor) going the extra mile just to prevent us (me) from getting ahead.

well, i feel bit of lost cause at this stage in life because those knights are winning. i'm tired. so, i actually hope you can be rescued at the right time and right place and by someone healthy. maybe that little break will enable you to carry on, become stronger, and become your very own knight in shining armor.

you deserve better.

#356234 - 03/11/11 06:51 PM Re: waiting [Re: westchesterguy]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

Sounds great!
What would the rescuer be like?.....I think this is a great topic...
What are the qualities and the actions of the rescuer?.....
One thing I can see is that the rescuer would remind me that I am not being abused today....that the sun is shining and it's Friday March 11th, 2011.......He would say, I know what you have endured....Here's a "one arm round the shoulder" hug and take these word with you to remind you as you go about you day.....that I know what you have suffered and I know the silence you have lived in.....you don't have to do that any more. I see you and I acknowledge the abuse you suffered and the years of tortured silence you have endured...
I think that would be a good start.....

#356264 - 03/12/11 06:30 AM Re: waiting [Re: RecoveryReady1]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
Originally Posted By: Recovery

I think that would be a good start.....

i agree! great start. smile

i also think you confirmed for us mr. recovery... a rescuer by definition can just be support. he or she isn't a codependent, he isn't taking the responsibility of recovery for us. we aren't the so called damsels in distress. we CAN work through our issues, but by god another living being giving us an arm around the shoulder once an a while is a tremendous boost of good and positive energy. so why is it just fantasy?

i'll add too that a rescuer may take us out of ourselves for a little bit... maybe he shows up on our doorstep on a saturday and says "jeff, come on, pack an overnight we are going to XYZ and coming back tomorrow."

i've done that plenty of times myself for friends in need...and it worked every time. that temporary escape can help put things in a different light.

#356300 - 03/12/11 04:36 PM Re: waiting [Re: Anthony39]
devon0 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
The "rescue" was a big part of my recovery because I prayed and prayed and prayed for someone, anyone, especially God to come to my aid. Nothing, nada, <crickets>.

Finally someone did come to me rescue but it was too late for my sense of faith and trust. It was anticlimatic.

In recovery I rescued myself and discovered that I was my own best friend and protector. I carried me out of that place and comforted me and told me that everything was going to be okay. It made all the difference.

#356306 - 03/12/11 05:54 PM Re: waiting [Re: devon0]
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
thanks for all the replies. Food for thought. I just want to specify that when I express the notion of rescue, it's a very primal notion a childlike desire for help. It's a strong emotion that has come out in rage, anger, despair, mythical hope. I found rescue by proxi in movies with the happy endings. All those emotions attached to my behaviour over the years, were a manifestation of that desire. It is a selfish desire but so justifiable.
Now that I know what it is, I just need to figure out how to let go of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.