Newest Members
thisisforJK, country_guy, ce, Lalinda, RichNewman
12601 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deano39 (51), debsjeff (50), J.Baby (29), Pathfinder (66), phoster (50), phoster2 (50), repentantjeff (50), russ-in-milwaukee (45), russ-milwaukee (45), zadok1 (50)
Who's Online
3 registered (Michael1965, iaccus, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12601 Members
74 Forums
64704 Topics
452210 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#356037 - 03/09/11 06:52 PM 21 Philadelphia Priests accused of abuse suspended
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
The disgraceful moral implosion of the Catholic Church continues...

Quote:
NEW YORK — The Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced yesterday that it had suspended 21 priests from active ministry in connection with accusations that involved sexual abuse or otherwise inappropriate behavior with minors.

The mass suspension was the single-most sweeping in the history of the sexual-abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church in the United States, said Terence McKiernan, president of BishopAccountability.org, which archives documents from the abuse scandal in dioceses.

Most telling was this comment:

Quote:
The announcement was a major embarrassment for Cardinal Justin Rigali, who, in response to the grand jury report, had initially said there were no priests in active ministry “who have an admitted or established allegation of sexual abuse of a minor against them.’’

A few days later, Rigali placed three priests on administrative leave. His statement yesterday did not explain why he had made his initial assurances nor did it say why the priests had not been suspended earlier.

How many other dioceses should have taken similar action but haven't?

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#356038 - 03/09/11 07:05 PM Re: 21 Philadelphia Priests accused of abuse suspended [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
EFM..I am equally outraged...the only "good" of this is the fact that those who help hide or cover up said actions, will now hopefully become accountable....when the brass are on the hook, things might change a bit.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#356042 - 03/09/11 07:56 PM Re: 21 Philadelphia Priests accused of abuse suspended [Re: Castle]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
What I don't understand is, that many church-goers can overlook this behavior but they're completely outraged over music selections in the mass.

#356789 - 03/16/11 06:20 PM Re: 21 Philadelphia Priests accused of abuse suspended [Re: WriterKeith]
brother2none Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Undisclosed
"I don't want to die on the hill of public opinion." is one of the things the Brennan priest said during a radio interview yesterday. And that he can't wait for his day in court.

Just goes to show how warped the offender is.

Also offensive and tragic is that the victim's personal struggles are being used against him, by Brennan's lawyer.

If it makes any difference to this victim, I believe him, I know what he's going through, and keep strong. I admire what he is doing.

#356854 - 03/17/11 08:31 AM Re: 21 Philadelphia Priests accused of abuse suspended [Re: brother2none]
Michael Murphy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I can relate, My mother is a christian and the whole time she was making me have sex with her. She would tell me "its ok jesus love you" NEEDLESS to say I hate christians.

#356865 - 03/17/11 09:54 AM Re: 21 Philadelphia Priests accused of abuse suspended [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Originally Posted By: Ever-fixed Mark
How many other dioceses should have taken similar action but haven't?

ALL OF THEM

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.