Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64184 Topics
447886 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#355765 - 03/07/11 02:12 AM watermelon
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
I recently got suicidally depressed and decided to check myself into a hospital. I'm better now, but in the hospital I attended a therapy group in which I was given a hand-out with this (Just the watermelon part):

http://youcanheal.blogspot.com/2009/09/wally-amos-watermelon-credo.html

When I got to the "N" I felt all this shame come up.. because it felt like it was telling me I was bad because I got raped.

Yeah, maybe that's not what the idea was, but that's just how it came across to me. I stormed out of the group and complained. Do you think I was just being over-sensitive?

#355775 - 03/07/11 08:06 AM Re: watermelon [Re: Jaifian]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
No I think that might upset several men here.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#355778 - 03/07/11 08:42 AM Re: watermelon [Re: michael Joseph]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Frankly, I’m impressed you made it to “N”. From the start this so called wisdom is over simplification in thought and wisdom. For it to suggest the there is a path to healing through “Polly Annie” thinking, not by doing the hard work required, is ridiculous even harmful. Plus in my book this is just another way of someone saying “Just get over it”.

Jaifian, I don’t believe you were being “over sensitive” I believe they were being “insensitive”.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#355780 - 03/07/11 08:52 AM Re: watermelon [Re: earlybird]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
I can see how this sort of 'optimism manifesto' would be something that triggered you, that "N" statement would have triggered me, too. The "if you believe it, you can achieve it" mantra has its place, but it can only take you so far. It's important to remember that you didn't "become" a victim in the transitive sense. None of us chose that for ourselves. You were victimized and that is one situation in life you don't have to feel responsible for.

You don't have to accept prepackaged advice from a handout, especially from a dude who is mostly just famous for making chocolate chip cookies--something anyone can do, really.

- Saint John of the Cross

#355832 - 03/07/11 06:57 PM Re: watermelon [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I too found this a bit "too cute" for me in the presentation. Part of empowerment is being able to reject that which does not fit. Jaifian, you have the right to reject what does not fit your healing road. We all do.

Daryl

#355833 - 03/07/11 06:58 PM Re: watermelon [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I too found this a bit "too cute" for me in the presentation. Part of empowerment is being able to reject that which does not fit. Jaifian, you have the right to reject what does not fit your healing road. We all do.

Daryl

#355870 - 03/08/11 01:12 AM Re: watermelon [Re: prisonerID]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This reminds me that when I was in the boy scouts, we would all sit around and especially the older scouts would pass jokes around the circle. They were the same jokes over and over. There was one about a watermelon. Now that I'm older and (supposedly) have more sense, I realize that the joke was about a form of abuse!

Allen

#355934 - 03/08/11 03:15 PM Re: watermelon [Re: pufferfish]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Allen,

That is so sad but what else would sick fools like that do?

#355936 - 03/08/11 03:30 PM Re: watermelon [Re: prisonerID]
Mdum@ne Offline

Having been on the road to recovery, what if the perpertrator no longer is alive today? I can't help sometimes but wish otherwise.

#355958 - 03/08/11 08:45 PM Re: watermelon [Re: Mdum@ne]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Mdum@ne,

Do you feel somehow cheated by your abuser/assailant not being alive? Mine were strangers so there will never be any type of face to face closure.

Daryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.