Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
7 registered (Ocellaris, 96789594, 4 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443117 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#354824 - 02/25/11 08:30 AM Male Rape on General Hospital
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
General Hospital Breaks Ground with Male Storyline
In a recent episode of ABC's long-running General Hospital, a male character disclosed he had been raped — a first for daytime television. While GH character Michael Corinthos (played by actor Chad Duell) has been experiencing the devastating emotional effects of the assault on the show for months, he finally revealed to his loved ones that he was sexually assaulted in prison and was unable to deal with the trauma alone.

In conjunction with this episode, General Hospital aired a public service ad with actors Chad Duell and Andrea Bogart. The spot encouraged viewers to get help and support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline and the Online Hotline; thanks to the PSA, the number of people who got help through RAINN's hotlines doubled that day.

Watch General Hospital's RAINN PSA

Hmmmm, the link didn't make it here. You can probably find more info at the www.rainn.org site.

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (02/25/11 08:30 AM)

#354846 - 02/25/11 10:07 AM Re: Male Rape on General Hospital [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
thanks Ken that is great they did that

wow impressive

Ken thanks u r great too.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#354894 - 02/25/11 02:46 PM Re: Male Rape on General Hospital [Re: michael Joseph]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks Ken for reporting about this. This is very inspiring.

Donnie

#354898 - 02/25/11 03:03 PM Re: Male Rape on General Hospital [Re: Avery46]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I investigated a while ago. RAINN receives about 10,000 calls a month on the national phone and on-line hotline. (23,290 people last year on the on-line hotline. )

Any idea what percentage are from males? One Connecticut affiliate says 40% of their calls are from males, but could that hold nationally?

Edited by LandOfShadow (02/25/11 03:16 PM)

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#354904 - 02/25/11 04:04 PM Re: Male Rape on General Hospital [Re: LandOfShadow]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK who wants to be on GH next

maybe there will be another MS on

#354906 - 02/25/11 04:06 PM Re: Male Rape on General Hospital [Re: michael Joseph]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

I still think it is about the same for girls and boys

I would say 1 in 4 are abuse as an estimate

Even if it is 1 in 6 that is still to high

one in a 100 is too high

#354990 - 02/27/11 09:41 AM Re: Male Rape on General Hospital [Re: michael Joseph]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I just listened to the promo on the site.

I do have to give respect to RAINN for their improved attempts to put males on the front burner there. It had been a while since I visited the site. I was pleased to see the rolling banner had the male section come up as the third one.

I also like their breakdown on myths and aftermath issues even though I think it could be lengthened some. But clean, clear and to the point might be best for a guy who is just landing there for the first time looking for assistance.

I have watched a few mini episodes of the GH storyline since someone announced it here. Nice it is being put out there. Be nice if some of the national night time news magazine shows would pick up on it.

Daryl

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.