Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
3 registered (Sonata1, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447918 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#354172 - 02/19/11 07:41 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: Canuck]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Canuck
Originally Posted By: pluckmemory
Shocker: Mel Levine found dead

Huzzah!

There is justice even if coming late. How many boys has he "killed" emotionally? 5000? Does anybody have a link on this?

Allen

#354181 - 02/19/11 08:26 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: pufferfish]
pluckmemory Offline

Here's the story I posted earlier. This talks about the suit saying that he may have molested as many as 5000 boys.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massach...buse_suit_dies/

#354349 - 02/21/11 02:54 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: pluckmemory]
just me Offline

somehow this doesn't really seem like justice to me...

#354464 - 02/22/11 12:47 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: just me]
pluckmemory Offline

I didn't realize that the victims in North Carolina were also represented by a lawyer there. This story says that a dozen victims went to the North Carolina Board about Levine, which resulted in him being forced to surrender his license.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=7971387

"For many of those people, he may have also helped them," attorney Elizabeth Kuniholm said. "But, what he did to them has left them with a lifetime - in some cases -devastation and that is the reality."

Kuniholm represents about a dozen of Levine's former patients in North Carolina. Three years ago, they took their claims the state medical board, forcing Levine to give up his medical license.

Unlike Levine's former patients in Massachusetts, they cannot sue his estate in the wake of his death.

"In NC, the statute of limitations is very different than it is in Massachusetts," Kuniholm said. "It is not as forgiving as it is in MA in situations like this where someone may have suffered abuse and molestation as a child."

Edited by pluckmemory (02/22/11 12:47 PM)

#354503 - 02/22/11 07:53 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

The Charlotte Observer is just reporting that Levine left a suicide note.

"Sheriff: Pediatrician Accused of Sexual Abuse Left Suicide Note"

Excerpt:

CHAPEL HILL Mel Levine, 71, a nationally renowned pediatrician accused of sexual misconduct with boy patients beginning in the 1960s, left a suicide note before he was found dead last week.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office responded to Levine’s home in Rougemont after a call from his wife just after midnight Friday. The sheriff’s report does not list a cause of death or tell where Levine’s body was found but says his wife had last seen him Feb. 12.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz1EjrUSllK

That means that Levine disappeared five days before the press conference about the victims' suits.
From all accounts, it sounds like Carmen Durso, the lawyer for the victims, is going to pursue the lawsuit. As he well should.

Edited by pluckmemory (02/22/11 07:54 PM)

#354583 - 02/23/11 02:56 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: pluckmemory]
Addie Offline

It is important that facts are known and not theorized. Dr. Levine did not "disappear" for 5 days rather his wife was out of town and returned on February 12th to find him dead.

When I was 8 years old my mother thought that I had "female" problems and allowed a male doctor to examine my genitlia. I was horrified. My mother was in the room and I can remember trying to figure out why my mother would allow this man to do this to me. I am still traumatized by the memory.

Back in the 1960s and 70's there was not a second thought about telling a child to strip naked and submit to a detailed exam/measurements/photographs (you can look it up in pediatric textbooks). It was also taught in that generation that children deserved privacy in their interviews and exams - in order to generate trust.

It should also be noted that some pediatricians and pediatric endocrinologists today carry around a bag of different sized "balls" in their pockets to compare and contrast testicle size. Sometimes they have to measure things. Furthermore, in order to exam male genitalia you have to touch them. In no way, shape or form does it qualify as "fondling".

I can imagine that as a young boy, being asked to strip naked, alone in a room with a man that you do not know with your parents outside of the room, to a child it would be horrifying to have your genitalia being touched, measured or photographed.

I'm sorry for those young boys, now men today, that recall that feeling. No one can ever determine what really happened in that room and if the feeling was "prolonged" or not because I'm sure to a young boy it felt like forever as it did to me.

I am saying that what if he was not guilty, what if he was simply doing as he was trained to do at the time? What if you had dedicated your life to helping children, as he did for mine, to come to an end where you can prove that you did not do anything harmful to a chid when many men believe that is what happened to him.

My heart goes out to his family. I believe there are many unanswered questions but just because he took his life does not make him guilty. It means the man was broken down in a deep depression that was brought about by a strong force he could no longer endure.

Personally, he took my child when he was very depressed, suicidal and unable to learn in conventional ways and educated him, his family and his teachers about how everyone learns differently. My son is now in college and has excellent grades as well as self-esteem and confidence.

I'm sorry for the men who are victims of child molestors. I'm just saying there are 2 sides to every story and Dr. Mel Levine gave hundreds of thousands of children in this country and others the gift of understanding their learning challenges and giving them the help they need to survive.

#354610 - 02/23/11 09:26 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: Addie]
pluckmemory Offline

I have read that Levine masturbated many of his victims.

He also agreed to surrender his medical license after the North Carolina Medical Board told him they had damning evidence that he had molested boys. Sorry, I am not buying that ANY doctor would willingly surrender his license if he were innocent.

My heart goes out to his victims.

In the next few months, I suspect we are going to see some sordid details emerge about Mel Levine.

Edited by pluckmemory (02/23/11 09:30 PM)

#354612 - 02/23/11 09:53 PM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

To Addie:
You said:
"Back in the 1960s and 70's there was not a second thought about telling a child to strip naked and submit to a detailed exam/measurements/photographs (you can look it up in pediatric textbooks). It was also taught in that generation that children deserved privacy in their interviews and exams - in order to generate trust."

I was a child in the 1960s and have never ever heard of this. When I was examined by a pediatrician, my mother was ALWAYS in the room. Same was true for everyone else I knew who went to doctors back then. No one was photographed or measured.

As for the photos, you may be thinking of the practice that women's colleges had of taking photos of freshman of their posture. But sorry I have never heard of anyone taking photos of children during the pediatric exam.

I sincerely wish you could step into the shoes of the victims instead of Levine.

Edited by pluckmemory (02/23/11 09:53 PM)

#354622 - 02/24/11 12:37 AM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: pluckmemory]
just me Offline

Addie,
I am happy for the success your son has made in his education with the help from Levine's approach to "All Kinds of Minds." I am very familiar with his work. I can understand the ambivalence you and many others many feel.

However! He was a child psychiatrist who saw boys, mainly those with ADHD or other learning differences. Psychological diagnosis should not require having a child remove ANY clothing and certainly not to be naked during and exam for any period of time!

I was examined by a pediatrician with a similar m.o. I should not have been exposed, at all, when seeing a doctor for an ear infection. But I was. The defenses you describe would, no doubt, be what the doctors would say. Perhaps, the boy, without any power in this situation, should be given the benefit of the doubt. I say this notwithstanding any positive contribution a criminal may offer to society.

All the best,
JM

#354629 - 02/24/11 01:08 AM Re: Dr. Mel Levine 's license revoked:abuse charg [Re: just me]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I want to add my observations to this thread. I want to cite my observations of misconduct by a boy scout camp doctor and the staff members who watched perhaps 50 naked scouts file past for a "rupture check".

I was 12-years-old in 1951. I went to a 2-week boy scout camp (Camp Theodore Roosevelt) on the western, Chesapeake Shore of Maryland. All of us had to be given a health checkup by a doctor before we were allowed to register for the camp. Our own doctor signed the physical examination form which was submitted with our application to the camp.

Then when we arrived at the camp, the camp doctor re-examined all of us as we checked in to the camp. There were about 50 boys. We all had to undress completely and file past the doctor who stuck his index finger into our scrotum and told us to "caugh". The reason was supposedly that he was making sure that we didn't have a rupture. But of course we had already had a doctor's certification about this. As he did this, two men whom I believe to be the manager of the camp and his assistant stood there watching. I can't help but think that they were watching all of the naked boys file past because they enjoyed it.

I cite this as an example of unnecessary and abusive demand for nudity of the boys as we registered for the camp. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the doctor. He was quite young and may have been an intern at that time. He would have been perhaps 10 years older than Dr. Levine was then. I am the same age as Mel Levine.

When the terrible abuse I experienced at that camp began, I reported it to the same camp doctor. If he had acted properly in response to my complaint, he might have saved me from that terribly abusive event involving sexual abuse and torture. It may be that all he did was to tell my abuser that I had reported the abuse. I say this because the abuse accelerated in intensity, involving threats with a hunting knife point against my naked chest, "If you ever tell, I will find you and kill you. Are you going to tell, boy? This is what it will feel like to die, boy."

I wish I knew who that camp doctor was. He would be an accessory to the abuse I experienced since he failed to deal with it after I told him.

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (02/24/11 10:38 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.