Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
5 registered (sadclown, don64, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63188 Topics
441842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#354487 - 02/22/11 03:53 PM Disease of Feelings
RecoveryReady1 Offline

I have heard that this is a disease of feelings.....
cas and addictions in general....

As if the feelings are somehow diseased....at least that is what I thought.....it's more like a disease of expression....or lack of expression of feelings...

It is a complicated road to get to the feelings and express them but....still thats the goal....

I somehow thought that when I got to the feelings...I would be dealing with the feelings that are somehow diseased....

When the disease is in not expressing the feelings.....not the feelings themselves...they are natural and normal....given the circumstances....

#354493 - 02/22/11 04:55 PM Re: Disease of Feelings [Re: RecoveryReady1]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
I too heard this phrase at the beginning of my recovery 3.5 years ago.

There is so much feelings when we UNCOVER them that it is as if a disease exists. BUT we are not a disease NOR is our feelings.

Thanks for this post and reinforcing the knowledge that the feelings are truly there.

Donnie

#354513 - 02/22/11 09:04 PM Re: Disease of Feelings [Re: Avery46]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
In my experience with recovery, I've heard it described as:

Disease of self
Disease of perception
Disease of boundaries
Disease of isolation

I think all of the above. smile

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#354563 - 02/23/11 10:11 AM Re: Disease of Feelings [Re: RecoveryReady1]
Morning Star Offline

Loc: Home
You are right there.. this is all about DIS-EASE of feelings, that we find unable to cope up with, hence look for ways to soothe ourselves, hence get addicted because we are unable to find better or healthy alternatives..So instead of focussing of fight or resisting addiction, the focus has to be how to reduce the dis-ease in your life, learning soothing techniques that are healthy and nurturing say mindfulness meditation, nature walks, music or soothing visualizations,...body relaxing techniques like Tai-chi, yogic breathing etc...all ways we can soothing ourselves enough, next comes learning to express ourselves!....the right way at the right moment and with the right intensive and with responsibility!...O yes, this means clearing emotional backlog as well, otherwise at any given chance of outlet they will explode out!...past suppression being primary cause here! So express everything you want to, even to people not present in your meditation, empty yourself out to make a fresh start! smile

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.