Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
6 registered (JayBro, Obi, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63126 Topics
441438 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#351804 - 01/24/11 08:42 PM Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Some days I wonder what kind of world we are living in.

HUD is proposing to remove discrimination in their housing programs based on sexual orientation and gender identity:

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development today proposed new regulations intended to ensure that its core housing programs are open to all eligible persons, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. View the proposed rule announced today. “This is a fundamental issue of fairness,” said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. “We have a responsibility to make certain that public programs are open to all Americans. With this proposed rule, we will make clear that a person’s eligibility for federal housing programs is, and should be, based on their need and not on their sexual orientation or gender identity.”

In response, Bryan Fischer from the American Family Association, penned an article responding to this proposal saying:

Quote:
Survey after survey indicates that homosexuals have higher levels of income and education than sexually normal individuals, meaning they have a greater range of housing choices than normal folk as it is.

So this really isn’t about access to housing; it’s about forcing the rest of us to accept homosexual behavior as normative, something no sane society should ever do.

...and:

Quote:
There are two more reasons why this is a perfectly bad idea. (...) One, many young boys living in HUD housing are already in troubled domestic situations, many with no father presence in the home. The last thing they need is suddenly to be living next door to two males modeling a sexually abnormal lifestyle. Role models matter immensely to young boys, and they don’t need any more adults around them setting bad examples. They’ve already been exposed to enough of that.

And we know - despite the howls of protest to the contrary - that male homosexuals molest young boys at a hugely exaggerated rate. The Roman Catholic Church, for instance, did a study of its own priests who molested children, and found that 81% of the victims were boys.

The last thing in the world young males in troubled home settings need is to be put in a situation where there is a heightened chance they will be sexually molested by their next door neighbors. These HUD housing projects will become hunting grounds with easy prey for homosexual pedophiles. These young boys have enough obstacles to overcome as it is without becoming sexually confused and diseased on top of everything else.

Far from just being offensive, based on the US Census data Fischer is also being misleading. The Williams Institute US Census Data Snapshot shows that:

Quote:
The median income of same-sex coupled households in the U.S. is $63,600, more than that of married couples ($57,500). The average household income of same-sex couples is $80,610, more than $73,655 for married couples.
(...)
Same-sex couples are significantly less likely than married couples to own their homes: 60% of same- sex couples in the U.S. own their home, compared to 81% of married couples.
(...)
Same-sex parents in the U.S. have fewer financial resources to support their children than married parents. The median household income of same- sex couples with children is $46,200, or 23% lower than that of married parents ($59,600). The average household income of same-sex couples with children is $59,270, significantly less than $74,777 for married parents.
(...)
While 51% of same-sex couples with children own their home, a much larger percentage of married parents (77%) own their home.

So, while the median and mean household income of same-sex couples outpaces married opposite-sex couples by about $6000, same-sex couples with kids have about $13,000 less than married opposite-sex couples who are also raising children.

And 21% fewer same-sex couples own their own homes than married opposite sex couples, 26% more married opposite-sex couples raising kids own their own homes compared to their same-sex counterparts raising children.

It's bad enough that people like Fischer lie about the most basic and verifiable data on same-sex couples and families ("Gays are rich, they can't be oppressed!"), but when they make The Big Lie that gay men equal pedophiles it makes me wonder why the media doesn't more aggressively call them on their lies.

My rape happened when I was 12, but it's at moments like this, when religious and nominally christian organizations tell me that as a gay man I'm a perpetrator and not a survivor, that I realize... my rape is still happening.

Until someone speaks up to stop the lies that blame me for my own abuse and deny me equal treatment under the law, there is still a weight on top of me, using a violent will to tear at me for their own pleasure - and telling me it's all my own fault.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#351813 - 01/24/11 09:33 PM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
charty Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
efm,

Thank you for posting this.

Callen

#351849 - 01/25/11 04:23 AM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: charty]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
It is these types of people that have made me feel bad about myself. Well those days are over!!!

Thanks for sharing... huggs...

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com

#353049 - 02/08/11 12:57 AM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: diamondheart]
elshaneo Offline

Loc: Canada
I found this a while ago and thought it was wonderful:

http://wakingupnow.com/blog/protect-children-2

It shows how the lie that gay men are pedophiles allows the true abusers to remain safe and hidden.

#353162 - 02/09/11 06:12 AM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: elshaneo]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
For one most know their abuser, and two hating someone because they are different it not ok.
I do not hate all breders, but this one is off his rocker. Jesus said to love and reach out to others.
Anyone can hurt someone I was molested by many people most were family. None of them were gay.
20 people hurt me and none were gay.

I had to leave a blog on there. I signed Michael J.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#353193 - 02/09/11 01:41 PM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: michael Joseph]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
and truly, this shows the ugliness of human nature

it is both beautiful and ugly

this is ugly

#353204 - 02/09/11 03:05 PM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: risingagain]
DeafDavid Offline

Loc: NM
My abusers were not Gay, or at least did they identify that way. I really know hardly anyone that was abused by a Gay man. It seems simple, If people from groups, such as The American Family Foundation really want to know the truth, just ask people like us for the facts. It really is sad that they continue to allow children to be in danger just for their own anti-gay hateful agenda. It really is shameful. I am doing my best to not allow all the recent gay hate to hurt me any more than I have been.

#353444 - 02/12/11 01:36 AM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: DeafDavid]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio
So many of these homophobes and haters, like Bryan Fisher from The American Family Association, are closeted homosexuals who create smoke screens to coverup their real sexual identity and self loathing.

#353453 - 02/12/11 09:01 AM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: 1.healing]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
in my humble view at the root of this entire issue is the suppression of male sexual identity.

we as men in the u.s. in particular are not allowed to be sexual beings. i think women indirectly hold great power over the male identity crisis for their own, selfish agenda. i think men fear exploring their own identity due to the power women have right now. i'm speaking in very high-level generalizations of course, but i do so because i don't see anyone else brave enough to speak! gonna go against the oprahs of the country? not. i will though, quite proudly, because i do want a male revolution as one way to combat childhood sexual abuse.

until then, here we sit - stuck in internal, fearful chaos. one of the outcomes of this is the "gay = ped" equation. as much as those of us who identify as same-sex attracted wish we could say that gays don't molest, we simply can't. they do. but all "normal" men, that is those who do not molest, must come together for the cause of boys and protect our society from pedophiles. this in turn improves the quality of life for all men - gay, straight, whateva. its also a cause i do not see any gay rights group pushing forward. shameful! its all about "me" "my gay rights" "my right to marry," etc. that selfish position, in my view, hurts gays more than the ped equation too although i think they are somewhat interconnected.

#353464 - 02/12/11 11:25 AM Re: Fairness in Housing = Pedophile Hunting Grounds [Re: westchesterguy]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Jeff,

What exactly is the cause is you want to see gay rights organizations take up? Opposing pedophile rape of boys? Opposing religious rape of boys? Opposing Male Rape in the Military? Opposing Male Rape in Prison? Something else?

Here are some thought on why those organizations aren't engaged:
  • Non-Core: These issues are not part of their core missions.
  • PR-Negative: Addressing these issues could easily be spun negatively, strengthening the current misconceptions and link between gay men and pedophilia, and also preventing success in their core missions. Remember that pedophile groups like NAMBLA are always trying to say they are part of the gay community, despite being rejected by the community completely.
  • Already Addressed: It seems like gays rights organization speak to the gay=pedophile issue when they need to, and are speaking appropriately about how pedophiles should be brought to justice.
There are already people who should be taking up these fights as either a primary or secondary mission - Parents groups, Human Health groups, the Department of Veterans Affairs, Prisoner Advocacy Groups, and Survivor Organizations (including Friends and Family).

Perhaps some better questions to be asking are these:

MaleSurvivor, how are you working to affect policy and fight myths on this issue? Do you have goals, an education plan? Have you made connections to other groups and are you building a coalition? Are you working on any public policy? Is there a lobbying plan? Are there bills you are drafting or proposing?

I'd suggest targeting your encouragement to groups like MaleSurvivor to engage before going after groups with only a peripheral engagement in male sexual victimization.

I agree that there is misandry in our society (you only have to look at how men are portrayed in commercials to see that) but your contention that male sexual identity is so repressed in our society doesn't ring true for this gay man. I see celebrations of straight male sexual identity everywhere while gay male sexual identity is pathologized, demonized, vilified, and mocked. I'd like to see another thread in the appropriate forum where you could lay out your thesis and it's supporting proof. It would be an interesting discussion.

I find it disturbing to hear the rhetoric of homophobia being echoed in this discussion - that gays are selfish for wanting equal treatment, and that gays are shameful for pursuing it. This language is used to tell us that not only that we don't deserve to be treated equally, but that we should be ashamed for even asking.

I don't see it as shameful or selfish that gay rights organizations have their eyes on the goals that help them fulfill their missions, especially when the groups who should be addressing sexual victimization of men and boys, who should be leading on it, are no-where-to-be-seen.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.