Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
6 registered (Drummer, bluesky, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, CheerfulJohn, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63221 Topics
442075 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#348509 - 12/19/10 12:47 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: goodbyehorses]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
GBH:

I am glad you are here too!

All over North America, and indeed the world, these two shows are having an impact. Men are starting to realize that they are not as alone as they used to feel, and that there are people who "get it". Locally, a male survivor support group has started when none existed before. One of the participants saw the second show, and knew then and there that he could take back control of his life once and for all. Even in the small city I live in, 2-3 guys a day have been contacting the local sexual assault centre since the shows aired. I am also forecasting another wave of guys will start calling in about 4-5 months, their fuses have been ignited on a slow burn. That's how it happened for me.

As Don pointed out, it was scary to do the shows. Whether seated in the restaurant at the hotel in Chicago, or in the studio, to see all those guys, anxious for sure, but convinced that this was the right thing to do... wow! I still get goosbumps when I look back at what we all did.

GBH I'm glad you managed to find your way here. smile

Jim

#348512 - 12/19/10 01:08 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Geeders]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just a word on my own journey following the trip to Chicago and the Oprah show.

There was a man on my flight who was also part of the show. We exchanged contact info before parting company at the airport. He is on the Board of Directors for an organization in our state names OAASIS (Oregon Abuse Advocates and Survivors in Service). This organization was instrumental in pushing through sweeping changes in the statute of limitations laws in this state a couple years back.

They have recently started a speaker bureau and asked me to be part of that venture. Our first training session will be coming up late next month. I've done a fair amount of public speaking on this issue in the past and am looking forward to doing it in a more organized way.

The tide is changing folks. It's happening slowly but It's obvious that in the wake of the Oprah show it is gaining momentum in a way that many of never thought possible smile

#348564 - 12/20/10 02:50 AM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
I know there has been some others out there who have different opinions on the 200 Men episode on Oprah...

I can only speak for me...

I really have to say how brave and couragous it was for all you guys to be on Oprah. You have helped so many people.

Watching the show, helped give me the courage to come back to MS and since then I have grown tremondously.

Thank you for showing the world, that we are not alone... Regardless what anyone wants to say about Oprah, I can't begin to think of all the people who were touched because of the message... and how many people would still be lost, if the show was never made?

Huggs

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com

#349015 - 12/24/10 10:38 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: diamondheart]
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I have heard so many positive things from so many survivors and non survivors on the show. Contrary to what I have seen stated, it was a very positive event for many. I could list many people who have been helped by this show. The stories that have been shared with me are touching and moving.

I realize not everyone is happy about it and all I can say is, that seems normal. You can't make everyone happy no matter what you do. For me, I am glad to have participated. It changed my life in many ways and now my life has been touched by many more because of it.

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#351722 - 01/23/11 09:39 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Curtis St. John]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
well that was a mistake to say he was helping anyone and they fixed that

but the fact that an actor playwrite director came out on TV and said he was a survivor too is great it lets others know we are here

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.