Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (outis, sadclown, ac9), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63193 Topics
441854 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#351577 - 01/22/11 03:20 PM thoughts about use of Language
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
I am apart of a psychotherapy group for this with a diagnosed mental illness. PTSD is a diagnosable mental illness for which, I have. I am not the only one who was sexually assaulted as a child in the group. I am the only MALE in the group who is open to talk about the assault. There are 5 psychologists who work with us NOT all at once in the group though.

Anywho - lol,

The psychologists are voicing several things including the following:

- use owning words for issues about our bodies ie My, me, mine, - like my body, my ear, my feelings, etc.

- use of black and white words is hazardous to ones health as it causes one to be locked or stunted in growth - ie always, never, and now.

- use of word "THE" puts the ownership of an idea or person or condition where it belongs - ie THE perp (not my perp), THE ptsd (not MY ptsd), etc.

I know I used the phrases - my perp, my ptsd and never happy again.

This is empowering verbage/language for me.

Do you have any language barriers/obstacles?

Donnie

#351582 - 01/22/11 03:44 PM Re: thoughts about use of Language [Re: Avery46]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

I find owning my thoughts, my emotions, my failures actually empowers me Donnie. When I first was in a group and "I" messages were mandated, I actually became so aware of.....everybody else doing it in my life. I "heard" it constantly.

For me, it usually makes conversation much easier when I generalize (using "we", "us"), but in a therapeutic setting, it's suddenly........about me, my pain, my confusion.

Owning that, originally, set me back. "Own my sh**? Noooooo way.." But wanting some different, something freer and healthier, meant that....(it came slowly, for sure) I do have sh**, stuff I've spent my whole life repressing, ignoring, yada yada.

I am still sometimes repulsed by people saying "you know, don't you? huh? huh?" Why? Because I remember it's really about me, but they're doing it without being aware of my pain. Because they don't have to feel MY pain. Because I do.

Therefore, these "I" messages both inspire me and repulse me, for focusing on MY pain............hurts. Nothing else. Sometimes...it just hurts.

That's my experience. I know it helps, but honestly, I'm no big fan of MY pain (dammit).

It hurts every time I share it, whether here or in a live group. Every time. Yes........even now. (Maybe it helps? Don't know presently) Thanks for asking. It made me think about how I cope.

Alfred

#351594 - 01/22/11 05:28 PM Re: thoughts about use of Language [Re: fhorns]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
That makes good sense Donnie. Language and thought are very closely linked, so I think becoming aware of and changing language for the better is a good thing. I like the idea of NOT using black and white language, as I do that all the time. Using owning language sounds like a good idea too. I agree with Alfred, it sounds like using owning language would bring us closer to our emotional experience, something not for the faint of heart, but worth the effort. Glad to hear you're in group therapy. I've read that group therapy can be very helpful.

Best of luck,

Rocco

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#351600 - 01/22/11 07:07 PM Re: thoughts about use of Language [Re: Avery46]
tommyb Offline

Loc: American South

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.