Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (nltsaved), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63555 Topics
444030 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#350985 - 01/16/11 10:35 PM Hypervigilance=hyperenergy?
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
As I'm sure most of you can relate, when I am around people I am much more aware, much more cautious, and well much more alert. I always summed it up to hypervigilance from PTSD.

Well I headed up to my buddies house in the mountains again, to go snowboarding, where there is always just a ton of people coming and going. Plus we rode handrails every night and we rode powder every day, which is incredibly exhausting. Basically in 4 days I had roughly 20 hours of attempted sleep and maybe half that in actual sleep.

Yet every single day I was the first up and the least tired, don't get me wrong now that I'm alone I'm passing right out as soon as I'm done typing this. But during the whole time in the mountains I was never really tired or exhausted or anything.

I know I'm young, but it just can't be normal for me to have that much energy. I have noticed it before when people sleep over, as soon as I'm awake if there is somebody else is in the room then I am ready to go, no matter what.

I guess it doesn't really matter, but can you guys relate? Do you find that when you are around people it is simply impossible for you to get exhausted, you just NEED to be on full alert 24/7? It can't be good for my body to lack so much sleep.

#350996 - 01/17/11 12:48 AM Re: Hypervigilance=hyperenergy? [Re: Riley]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Riley,

I think you're correct in saying it is hypervigilance associated with PTSD. Your body is probably making hormones like adrenalin (epinephrine) when you are like that. That gives you more apparent energy.

Allen

#350999 - 01/17/11 01:54 AM Re: Hypervigilance=hyperenergy? [Re: pufferfish]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois
Riley, i am exactly the same way...even with my partner of 16 years...if i hear him making any noise, i shoot out of bed...

Hypervigilence is exactly what it is. Even after 20 years, i still automatically put my back to the wall, check exits, the whole thing ..

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8711#Post348711

#351001 - 01/17/11 05:23 AM Re: Hypervigilance=hyperenergy? [Re: Darkheart]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
I too can relate. I’ve been traveling on airplanes the last two days. A little less than a year ago I was flying to CA for a WoR weekend and wrote poems about my experiences in the airport. The back against the wall and keeping an eye on everyone. It was exhausting trying to find the “bad guy” that I just knew was among the crowd. This time none of that. I was at ease and chatted with anyone one who’d give me the chance. I met a number of people who were from different parts of the world and were equally delighted to have someone to talk with while standing in long lines. I credit a lot of this change with the interactions with you guys here on MS. Thanks guys and also thanks Riley for bringing this up I hadn’t realized the change till reading your post. Earlybird

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#351031 - 01/17/11 12:56 PM Re: Hypervigilance=hyperenergy? [Re: earlybird]
Mulligan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I too have experienced (all my freakin life) this and agree that it is related to PTSD and hypervigilance. I would like to think that it is god given superhuman powers. But I am suspicious of that and think more along the lines of I am going to pay for this exending of this energy someday.

#351077 - 01/17/11 07:32 PM Re: Hypervigilance=hyperenergy? [Re: Mulligan]
1227ms Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: PA
Riley,
I also experienced it. I am just recently feeling like I am letting it go a little at a time. It did serve me well as a Dad though. If either of our kids made a noise during the night I would be instantly up and functioning on all cylinders. I never relaxed ever. Went to bed late, up early and go-go-go. I never thought of it like this before and never associated it with my CSA. Thank you for starting this thread. It really helps to hear everyone's ideas and thoughts.

Matt

Hope Springs alumnus 2011

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.