Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
1 registered (highflight), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63839 Topics
445790 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#350615 - 01/13/11 11:01 AM where can I contribute
traillius Offline

Looking to speak/write/present on the issues:
Male Survivor
Spousal Caregiver
beahvioral issuess ( self and son ) adhd, ptsd, etc..
multi-racial adoption
I am a 'laymen' credential wise, but have several years first hand experience with all of these. I just don't know where to get the opportunities. Anyone knows anything, please let me know.

#350935 - 01/16/11 12:38 PM Re: where can I contribute [Re: traillius]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Traillius,

There are many advocacy organizations on the state level that have speakers bureaus. Obviously I don't have information on organizations in your area but I think with a little research you could find organizations where you are who would welcome your participation. I recently joined a speakers bureau in my state that advocates for sexual abuse issues. In recent years this group was instrumental in pushing survivor friendly statute of limitation laws through our state legislature.

#351024 - 01/17/11 11:56 AM Re: where can I contribute [Re: WalkingSouth]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Traillius,
Your post is inspiring. You can be sure to count on your MS comrades here to cheer you on.

I don't know how far along you are in the process or how much experience you may have in public speaking, so I'll put some thoughts out here for you and others to choose and discard at your discretion. I highly recommend the following helpful and powerful resources to get you moving to your goals quickly.

1) Set up a blog or web site with brief overviews of your experience and knowledge in each area. You can set up a simple blog at www.wordpress.com, or, if you are moving toward publishing a book, you may want to consider setting up a web site. To easily and quickly set up a nice-looking web site, I recommend www.netsol.com or www.godaddy.com.

2) Set up a youtube channel so those considering you as a speaker can see brief video samples of your speaking style and the quality of your presentation. I recommend keeping these very brief, no more than 3 minutes average. These are simply virtual business cards. Viewers will be looking for personality over content in these clips.

3) I recommend joining and becoming active in a local chapter of Toastmasters International. The experience and exposure is invaluable and the doors it can open are unimaginable.

4) A good way to get the train rolling is to contact any businesses or organizations that may have any possible interest in your subject, and volunteer to make a brief presentation for their company. An informal lunchtime presentation has led to greater opportunities for many speakers.

5) Remind yourself not to dwell on closed doors and high walls. If a door is "slammed" in your face, don't give it another thought. Keep looking for the door that opens for you.

6) Network, visit community meetings, and ask a pertinent question if the meeting allows open questions of the audience. You have to be a little clever and subtle at this, but find a way to mention your skill and area(s) of presentations. For example, at a community meeting about saving water you could say something like, "I'm John Xenley. Businesses invite me to give presentations on the subject of male survivors of child abuse. Several times I've noticed, as I arrive, that there's a broken sprinkler with water gushing into the gutter, maybe a dripping faucet in the men's room... What can we do, as community members, to persuade local businesses to get on board and engage in saving water?" Corny, but it works. You wouldn't believe the opportunities this trick provides, as long as it is done SUBTLY, briefly, and sincerely.

Years ago I was at an ASCAP business meeting where several people were moaning and complaining to the governing board about petty issues. I, like many, tired of it. I went to the mic and expressed my sincere appreciation for a program the board had launched. When the gavel dismissed the meeting, I was surrounded with producers, publishers, and recording artists interested in talking with me and seeing my material. That moment led to my best publishing contract.

7) Quick, affordable business cards can be purchased at www.vistaprint.com. I discourage people from using the do-it-yourself kits and printing cards on your own; they make an unfavorable first impression. The card need only have your name, phone number, email, and Internet address for your blog or web site. No one wants your mailing address; they want to see your samples online.

You are a hero. I have seen your input here on MS and you definitely have something to say that is well worth being heard. Instead of wishing you "good luck," I will congratulate you on the success you will find by creating a game plan and seeimg it through.

Go get 'em, Traillius!

-Keith

Edited by WriterKeith (01/17/11 11:57 AM)

#351042 - 01/17/11 01:56 PM Re: where can I contribute [Re: WriterKeith]
traillius Offline

thanks for advice and encouragement. I can't pick up all the proverbial starfish, but I want to help where and when I can.

Edited by traillius (01/17/11 01:56 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.