Newest Members
garyPGH, Z63, Momiji, ja16, winter-rain
12660 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (62), Carlos418 (38), courtney (53), kurotake (56), lostsoul (64), Lukesgirl (29), michael banks (2015), Steffon (43)
Who's Online
4 registered (jon2, don64, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12660 Members
74 Forums
65035 Topics
454859 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#348780 - 12/21/10 09:23 PM Over invested in television Zero to Hero
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I sit on Tuesday nights, and wait for NCIS to come on. Why? Sunday I sleep in, but lately I have been waking up and interacting with my family. Yeah, this is about going to worship, and I , well, I cannot, not yet, but I want to.

I am hooked, yes sir, I want the most horrific actions to be investigated immediately and struggled over, and a group of highly trained officers meticulously and doggedly pursuing the evidence until, 44 minutes later, viola! Good guys win, victim in made whole, the bad guys are caught.
Or, a two parter, so, like 70 minutes, tops, but a two parter really discourages me, nonetheless.

Is it tied to my abuse controls? Do I want a team to resolve my abuse and make me whole? Am I making television plots a vice to dissociate my abuse? Is there such a thing?

How can I be involved in this process, how can I "tie this off", investigate and conclude there is no conclusion? Is this even the right way to go about it?

MS, help me get back into my life, and stop making a television show my repeat coping mechanism, I beg you.
Or I will do it myself, hm, which is the start of recovery in this area, isn't it... Why can't someone else recover for me, and hand it to me in a book, with large print, and pictures?

As I write this, I am eating all the comfort food in the RV, sigh, well, that is another topic.

:-()-:
Sam

#348793 - 12/21/10 10:06 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: SamV]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sam,

All I can say is that I myself have been watching less television lately, and I seem to be better off for it. Not much more to add.

Eric

#348795 - 12/21/10 10:19 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: ericc]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had exactly the same effect when I came back from WoR in May, this year, Eric.

I only watch TV on Tuesdays, but it is like binge drinking or only getting angry once a week, it is still giving an emotional investment to the wrong resolution.

I really want to watch TV for recreation, go on the Internet for volunteering, and leave food on my plate, you know? I know the "no's", what are the "yes's", the why's I can stop using this coping mechanism?

Thank you, Eric, for identifying with my issue, and offering advice, your experience is invaluable, as is your camaraderie.

Sam

#348796 - 12/21/10 10:22 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: SamV]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
Originally Posted By: sasuva
...MS, help me get back into my life, and stop making a television show my repeat coping mechanism...

i'll second eric's sentiment.

i first ditched the t.v. in 1996 and replaced that time with gardening and building furniture. t.v. sort of re-entered a bit in winter months, but i pretty much limited my viewing to only the old movie channels. (i don't even know if they still exist.)

in 2003, i ditched the t.v. once and for all - for good. i will not allow a t.v. in my house today.

#348797 - 12/21/10 10:24 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: SamV]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: sasuva
...Is it tied to my abuse controls? Do I want a team to resolve my abuse and make me whole? Am I making television plots a vice to dissociate my abuse? Is there such a thing?

TV cop shows and the like became a vice for me. There is other great entertainment on TV. I had to stop watching them when I was so angry the bad guys did NOT get enough ..

Thanks for talking about this.

Donnie

#348848 - 12/22/10 03:00 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: Avery46]
Max10 Offline

Loc: Oregon
As of the end of the year I am disconnecting from both TV and the web as part of my own self imposed therapy. I too watch the crime shows and think I do use it as an escape from the reality. I cannot afford the bill anymore besides. I'm going as far as to remove the TV from my house entirely. This will be a 1st since childhood when we got our 1st B & W...back in the early 60's. Think I'll get me a radio so I don't loose touch with the world.

~Max10~
~ I am not a victim...I am a survivor! ~

#350041 - 01/07/11 02:51 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: Max10]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Donnie, I agree, it is not really about the entertainment, uhm, "value", snicker. It is the messages I have inside me that are being reinforced by the plot, the relatively easy resolution, and the "after victory party".

Removing/replacing TV must be very cathartic, but I am not stable enough to weather the abandonment of a wonderful, fanatical positive like television. Hm ,something there, I think.

The cycle of getting just enough dissociative reinforcement to cope with the trigger trauma presenting itself in my daily life is the reality. It is not the TV, anymore than it is anger, or sex, or smoking.

The cycle is balanced when I, through recovery, design new thoughts that I CAN relate and guide my decisions to a successful conclusion. That inner reinforcement leads to trying it, to hope in the action that leads to the resolution.

I have to stop the dysfunction by acting in a way that leads to resolution, even if that resolution means I have to let it go. I have the thoughts and the reasonings, I just need to challenge myself, a little at a time.

Your perspective have guided me through this part of recovery, my brothers, thank you.

Sam

#350045 - 01/07/11 03:53 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: SamV]
Awake at Last Offline

Loc: Chicago Land
Looking at this thread again, its partly about some of us liking NCIS (I admit enjoying the show) and others recommending cutting down on TV. Maybe the appeal of that show is not just that the team solves the problem and gets the bad guys, but that the team leader, Gibbs, shows all the signs of PTSD you could want, and yet he is the hero. His ways of interacting with others are pretty dysfunctional, but it doesn't matter. Just a thought.
Jim

#350049 - 01/07/11 04:28 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: Awake at Last]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dang Jim,

You hit that right on the head, spot on. I identify with him, and he is functional, thriving in fact.
Deep, really deep. I am so glad you commented on this, AaL, thank you.

Sam

#350094 - 01/07/11 11:37 PM Re: Over invested in television Zero to Hero [Re: SamV]
alone Offline

`

Edited by alone (01/11/11 12:10 AM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.