Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (woodenshoes, Jwmcd2, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63802 Topics
445524 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#349752 - 01/04/11 10:56 AM I have just begun to realize...
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
When I compress my torso, around the lower intestines, I feel a subtle "tickle", and then a panic attack, elevated heart beats, shallow quick breathing, fear of constriction.

It is the same feeling I get when I put a belt on, or when I exercise, or exert myself. I am finding, as I gain more weight, a difficult to buy clothes that do not constrict and trigger.

Just talking about this triggers the symptoms.

Has anyone else had this issue in their middle section?

Thanks,
Sam

#350874 - 01/15/11 06:33 PM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: SamV]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is this IBS? I am unsure and really avoid diagnosis "labels".

I have bloating, gas and flatulence every afternoon, symptoms of cramping and fatigue weekly, alternating constipation and diarrhea every three days.

I am really against journaling, something in my physical abuse makes me feel as if I am writing out all my failures, leading to destruction.

Stomach pain creates the desire to eat, and I am very overweight, 80#'s, 6'3" and 300#'s.

I do not have any memories of abuse in the area of my stomach, however, it may be linked to physical abuse...

Thanks, Sam

#350883 - 01/15/11 08:05 PM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: SamV]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: sasuva
When I compress my torso, around the lower intestines, I feel a subtle "tickle", and then a panic attack, elevated heart beats, shallow quick breathing, fear of constriction.

It is the same feeling I get when I put a belt on, or when I exercise, or exert myself. I am finding, as I gain more weight, a difficult to buy clothes that do not constrict and trigger.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the lower intestines". Do you mean lower abdomen?

The symptoms you declare are consistent with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). That's "doctor talk" to mean that it might be and probably is but doesn't rule out the other stuff it might be.

I think more survivors probably have IBS than the general population.

My IBS has greatly improved as I have continued on in counseling and working out my problems. Also my dream-life and sleep have improved. They probably all work together.

Also, I think survivors have more weight problems than others, although it's difficult to say as weight problems become epidemic. Some survivors are overweight and some are underweight.

When you talk of "compressing", it could be either because you have gas ("flattus" a word for gas, like in inflation) or even some chronic irritation there.

You can probably learn to sooth and relax your own muscles there but it will take some weeks of practice. Just sit or lie down in a quiet spot and think relaxing thoughts (no raucous music allowed). Then breath in and out rhythmically and slowly while thinking the relaxing thoughts.

Originally Posted By: sasuva

I have bloating, gas and flatulence every afternoon, symptoms of cramping and fatigue weekly, alternating constipation and diarrhea every three days.

Yep, sounds like IBS.

Part of the solution, in addition to working out your emotional hurts, is to eat the right foods.

People with IBS need to make sure they get enough fiber in their diet (sounds cliche' ?). I have found that eating a large serving of vegetables with my meal helps me to lose weight and helps with the gas and cramping.

I keep frozen vegetables on hand. I like mixed vegetables, or green beans, or broccoli. Then I pour them frozen into a 1.5 cup pyrex measuring cup (full) and cook them in the microwave oven for 3.5 minutes. When they come out I pour some olive oil on them and salt. They taste good to me and help with the IBS. It seems like a large serving but it really makes me feel full and so it's easier to stop eating and then I don't want to eat sweets ( sick )

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (01/15/11 08:24 PM)

#350885 - 01/15/11 08:12 PM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: pufferfish]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Allen!

Yes, lower abdomen, around the area where a belt would be placed on pants.

Counseling is good, for those who can afford the 100 bucks a visit, I cannot.

I agree, survivors present with IBS symptomatology more often than the non abused.

So, more about the psychosomatic symptoms? I cannot afford multiple doctor visits, so going in with the most information to a nurse is my goal.

Sam

#350991 - 01/16/11 11:36 PM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: SamV]
Dewey Offline

Loc: the sunshine state
Sam, I do know one thing about the last time a panic attack tried to creep up on me. I don't remember anything about the gut however a friend says that's where they start on her. I did learn that they don't have to "grab" me. I was pleasingly shocked to find that I was able to breathe through it. I never thought it was possible,to beat one, just that it was coming and I was a goner. I know that I think I'll never have another as long as I remember to breathe. Not sure I can help regarding the extra pounds issue since I'm perfectly balanced for any nine foot tall man.
D

#350995 - 01/17/11 12:38 AM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: Dewey]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here are some more thoughts pertaining to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

For a long time I had to watch what foods I was eating in order to determine which foods were causing digestive problems.

I came up with a list of foods which are either allergens or irritants for me. I can't eat these without having diarrhea:

peanut butter
eggs (including farm eggs)

egg allergy means I'm allergic to vaccines made with egg, such as flu vaccine. Last time I was given a flu vaccination I became very ill for several days.

I can eat baked goods which contain a small amount of egg.

I have trouble with spicy foods. I can eat:
some cooked onion in food

I can't eat:
raw onion is a no-no.
garlic if it's present in quantity
hot peppers and spices containing hot pepper

Some foods cause an immediate intestinal evacuation (several minutes). The reaction is so fast and so vigorous that it has to be psychosomatic. The only item I've noticed for sure is:

Butterfinger Candy bars.
Why? That was the last candy I ate as severe abuse was beginning in the boy scout camp. (I know they contain peanut butter, but that amount of peanut butter would not cause this severe a reaction)

Interestingly enough these candies had this even before I remembered the abuse. Why? Because somewhere in my little mind I remembered it even though it was blocked from my conscious mind by traumatic amnesia.

I have found that lots of cans of commercial soup, chili and stew cause diarrhea for me. Some of my favorite soup causes diarrhea and colon irritation. This is too bad because otherwise soup would be good for lowering my caloric intake.

I think the reason that some of these canned goods cause this is because there is a small amount of spoilage of the food going on in manufacture. (I'm guessing). The manufacturing companies heat the product hot enough to kill the spoilage organisms but only after it's in the can. A small amount of toxin from the spoilage remains in the product. The food testing people can't check even a small percentage of the cans of food produced and they check for bacterial content and not for the presence of toxins. I became sensitized to the toxin when I got food poisoning once. Now my body considers the toxin as a powerful antigen (I suppose).

Allen

#351002 - 01/17/11 06:45 AM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: pufferfish]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii

I hope this helps;
Look up "leaky gut syndrome'
In 1986 I got Giardia from the McCloud River in No. California, it was a bad case. I'm tough and have a high tolorance to pain or discomfort, anyway the damn gut was a problem I associated to stress and the assault/abduction in 1977.
So anytime I had a doctor's need the pain or problems were beyond the 10 level and I always asked if if could be from the giardia???
Twenty-five years of dietary concerns and psychosomatic stuff related to the bowels/bathroom where torture occured messed me up.
And the man took me to breakfast like I was his date or something, I never ate breakfast till after the disclosure in July 2007.
So.. I get hooked up to a biofeedback machine and bingo--bullseye the thing says I got "leaky gut syndrome" from the giardia!
You can google it but it's mal-absorption of toxins in the small intestional wall--and diet is the key to normal functioning.
I just let my body tell me what to eat and buy. I already know the foods that cause problems.
That food poisoning may have done the same--I drink a herbal mix with chinese goldenthread which repairs and soothes the guts. Also I take some Thiamine and L-Glutamine supplements. I drink extra water like a gallon a day to get toxins out but no chem flush stuff--V-8 juices --veggies/fruit and whole grains literally goat food. No barley, malts or glutin/casein/MSG or processed foods--thickening agents in canned foods-- I always avoided these foods and cook from scratch.
I feel healthy and have almost normal bowels with little maintenance or expense.
Hope you get to the bottom of this soon LOL

Edited by men_of_hrts.dbw (01/17/11 06:56 AM)
Edit Reason: quik fix
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#351187 - 01/19/11 12:22 AM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: men_of_hrts.dbw]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's a picture (drawing through the microscope) of Giardia:

What an interesting looking bug! sick

Here's a reference on it:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/giardiasis-symptoms

Maybe it would make a good avatar sometime.

Allen

#351222 - 01/19/11 11:27 AM Re: I have just begun to realize... [Re: pufferfish]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Like looking in the mirror some days.

Sam

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.