Newest Members
Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2
12503 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12503 Members
74 Forums
64193 Topics
447967 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#348170 - 12/15/10 02:01 AM Re: Six Megathemes Emerge from Barna Group Research [Re: Still]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Robbie,

I am not accusing you of anything more than invoking hyperbole unwisely. You stated that the worst thing one could be labelled was intolerant. My goal was to show that there is a great deal worse to be labelled, not that you were the one doing the labeling.

Many gay survivors are used to hearing intolerance used in a semi-coded reference to them. Was there another context you had in mind?

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#348186 - 12/15/10 07:20 AM Re: Six Megathemes Emerge from Barna Group Research [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
OK. Seriously, in my world, having exposure to schools and courts, if I'm considered intollerant, I find myself in a non-voluntary psych evaluation.

#348201 - 12/15/10 10:37 AM Re: Six Megathemes Emerge from Barna Group Research [Re: Still]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Why would that be so? It's certainly is not so for the vast majority of people. Is this at your workplace or elsewhere? Even at the very best workplaces with the best policies, women, gay, transgender, disabled, and 50+ workers can get the bum's rush out the door without triggering anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies.

I wonder if you don't harbor some strong feelings that others can accuse and pass judgement on you in this way, and if that isn't the source of your strong reaction.

Being in that situation would be very stressful.

-efm

#348208 - 12/15/10 11:54 AM Re: Six Megathemes Emerge from Barna Group Research [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
My last employer was in the twin cities: They even had TGBH NCAA RSVP club that met once a week. I see states with people whom vote in gay marriage. I see an IRS that threatens to suspend tax-exempt status of churches that won't marry same-sex couples.

I see a country that only accepts tollerance so long as its your definition of tollerance ("your" being general).

In the end however, I see a country that sifts things down to a widely accepted and embraced state of acceptance where the word "tollerance" has no role. i.e. racial equality as it exists today.

#348223 - 12/15/10 03:44 PM Re: Six Megathemes Emerge from Barna Group Research [Re: Still]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
I see states with people whom vote in gay marriage.

That is indeed remarkable, as no US state has seen the people "vote in" equal marriage rights, we've only seen the people vote to overturn or veto equal marriage where it has been passed by the legislature or required by the courts. Opponents of equal marriage want the people to vote while the polling is in their favor, because voting on equal marriage means a majority voting on the rights of a minority where the minority is expected to lose. Can you clarify what you meant to say here please?

I see an IRS that threatens to suspend tax-exempt status of churches that won't marry same-sex couples.

No, I really don't think you do. Please produce a citation that supports this claim.

I see a country that only accepts tollerance so long as its your definition of tollerance ("your" being general).

Examples with citations please, this is too vague to rebut.

In the end however, I see a country that sifts things down to a widely accepted and embraced state of acceptance where the word "tollerance" has no role. i.e. racial equality as it exists today.

While it would be nice to be accepted, for those who are prejudiced against others the best we can hope for is to tolerate each other in our civil society. Your level of confidence that acceptance is the path rather than tolerance doesn't match my own experience. Do we mean that same thing? What is the distinction between acceptance and tolerance to you?

By the way, we don't have racial equality today in any measure, in the same way we don't yet have gender equality. We've made progress, yes, but prejudice, in the form of misanthropy, racism, and homophobia is still all too common and pervasive.

-efm

#348607 - 12/20/10 03:23 PM Re: Six Megathemes Emerge from Barna Group Research [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
MY .02

The IRS should take away all tax exempt status to everybody...It costs money for everything. smile

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.