Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63101 Topics
441285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#348393 - 12/17/10 05:41 PM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: CheerfulJohn]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Evolution is now accepted by many churches as part of their gods design in creation, so I think framing it as "atheistic evolutionary belief" doesn't reflect how widely evolutionary theory is accepted.

Originally Posted By: CheerfulJohn
"my conscience will no longer brook my silence on the unloving and indiscriminate actions of those" who hold to the popular mega myth of evolution.

I don't understand how evolution is relevant to my refusing to let people use their religion to judge and thereby injure others. Are you trying to say that evolution judges and injures people in some way? Please clarify.

It not at all invested in whether you or anyone believes in evolution. It's only the best science we have until something better comes along, and in the meantime the Catholic Church thinks it aligns with their god's plan, so who am I to argue with the Magisterium?

I'm non-partisan on the issue of faith and belief and I'm for non-judgemental and loving behavior from atheist and religious alike.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#348406 - 12/17/10 07:30 PM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
CheerfulJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: England (at the moment)
Clarity? Yes I am saying the crowd that holds to evolutionary belief judges and injures those who do not. I see that daily.

Just because it is a more popular way of seeing, doesn't mean it is anything more than a swing from church misrepresentation and oppression.

Those who think they are neutral do the most harm. Agreeing to differ is much more healthy.

Don't think we will resolve this issue here but I wanted to name a bully.

#348414 - 12/18/10 12:00 AM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: CheerfulJohn]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
CheerfulJohn

Well you say:
“If we give each other respect (ie no attacks) there will continue to be room for us all from our various perspectives. There will always be a tension but that is ok?”

But then you also state:

“The faith people put in atheistic evolutionary belief which frees them from any 'oughts' or 'shoulds' regarding sexuality”

Wow – that’s ignorance speaking. I’m an Atheist and I have plenty of “oughts and shoulds” pertaining to my sexuality that I live by.

Then effortlessly you voided your first statement that we should respect each other and give room for various perspectives by declaring as if an expert in absolute terms:

“Clarity? Yes I am saying the crowd that holds to evolutionary belief judges and injures those who do not. I see that daily.”

I wanted to stay neutral in this thread in order to give room for others and their beliefs but then you shot that idea to hell by declaring to all on MS that I’m the worst of the worst for doing this” when you so thoughtlessly blurted out”

“Those who think they are neutral do the most harm”

Then after lumping all of us into the garbage – what you see as the trash of disbelief - you say we must speak up or we are the worst of the worst but if we do then we are bullies. Dang, I can’t win. And then you close the conversation with

“Don't think we will resolve this issue here but I wanted to name a bully.”

So the question is who's the bully?

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#348421 - 12/18/10 02:17 AM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: earlybird]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Oh, sorry guys...

I thought this was the spirituality forum...

Guess I am just a neutral negative nelly...

Spiritual Flute: The Beauty of Nature

island

#348434 - 12/18/10 07:31 AM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: earlybird]
CheerfulJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: England (at the moment)
If I attack it is in defense.

I believe none of us can be neutral in this war of ideas.

The bully? The 'new' crowd who threw out 'absolutes' absolutely. Individuals?I am responding to the freedom EFM feels in his attacks on those who hold to the biblical narrative:

"Your heart tells you what is right and just in this. Don't look to a book that sanctions slavery, rape, and incest for an ethical compass. If the bible is truly inerrant and literal then it has none."
"Mourn for your mother's choices and the effect it has had on your life and relationship, but don't believe what a holy book tells you is owed to her. Especially if that holy book puts forward rape and incest as godly behavior. "

Funny thing is EFM probably thinks he is neutral saying these things.

Being heard would be good but I just need to respond. When i was 4 I tried to shout wolf, all I got in response was "have you heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?"

#348436 - 12/18/10 08:43 AM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: CheerfulJohn]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

We seem to have wandered far afield of our starting point.

The quotes you pulled are mine from other threads, usually from people in pain about what they are told they ought to do and be by religion, and they are my opinion, but they are no more right or wrong than anyone else's opinion.

As a survivor of religious sexual abuse I find the treatment of rape and incest in holy books like the bible, and the idea that everything in the bible is true and correct and a blueprint for how *everyone* should live, really hurtful and difficult to square with any acceptable view of morality.

As a gay man who reads the news every day and sees churches and religious people attacking my civil rights while also enabling and hiding pedophiles, the hypocrisy and the betrayal of true Christian ideals is quite simply brutalizing. It's as though the rape I endured at the hands of my religion is still happening and no one will do anything to make it stop.

I don't think I'm neutral, but I do have great respect for the idea of gods and the divine. The pure message of many belief systems are uplifting and beautiful, but the work of men to defend and put forward those beliefs into the world seems to me to fall far short of the true spirit of the message.

It's that gap that causes me so much pain.

I'm not asking people not to believe in their god, in fact, my great hope is ironically quite the opposite. I'm asking people who are Christian to be even more authentically Christ-like in their words and actions.

-efm

Edited by Ever-fixed Mark (12/18/10 09:00 AM)
Edit Reason: Late-breaking realization

#348469 - 12/18/10 06:16 PM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
Why does it have to be a war? Why can some things just be... Someone can believe one thing and not have it affect another... Whether you agree or disagree these are our thoughts, beliefs and feelings...

Just because someone says something doesn't make it true for you... Don't take it personal, like it is an attack on you...

I personally went through a lot of spiritual abuse growing up in the hands of christians. Do I believe all christians are bad? no... but that type of religion is not for me... I also have my own sets of beliefs when it comes to spirituality, religion and the bible. Some of them are in part to do with my experience and some are built into who I am... The bible isn't for me. I can't just look past certain parts. To me, it was written by man and translated through time...

When you start to question things people start to panic, like we are questioning their faith. When it has nothing to do with them. It is okay to question things and have an opinion... It is when you project and try to force your views onto someone else that I get uneasy with...

In the end, we all have to do what we must to get through life and heal. We each have had our own set of experiences and we each walk our own paths...

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com

#348474 - 12/18/10 06:46 PM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: diamondheart]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

I agree with everything you said, Derek, as it mirrors my experience and feelings.

-efm

#348602 - 12/20/10 02:22 PM Re: Why are Non-believers best informed on religion? [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Im not gonna get into all the other stuff...but answer your original question EFM....

Seems from the article and what i remember of it...challenging religion is what makes some non-believers more knowledgeable.

We are looking at "the" religion, regardless of which one, and sayign this doesnt make sence because of X y and Z...to say that we sorta need to know X Y and Z.

Some people in religon just dont question anything but just go with whats taught as the word....so they just follow without knowing why...just cause somebody said so

IMHO

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.