Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Brandon (23), doctorfrau (51), dwigginsr (55), Glen (43), RFB (58)
Who's Online
3 registered (bluesky, 2 invisible), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63101 Topics
441283 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#348375 - 12/17/10 12:45 PM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: SunnyGirl]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Sunny Girl,

That is a good site. Thank you for that.

Their meetings seem to be very structured, and have good boundaries.

Thanks,
D.

P.S. Dear Castle, what is "peer to peer" versus "individual" meetings? Are there only two people at individual meetings?
Thanks.

Edited by Disappointed (12/17/10 12:47 PM)
Edit Reason: Added post script.

#348578 - 12/20/10 09:08 AM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: Avery46]
sugarbaby Offline

Quote:
Frankly, we struggle to find people willing to come. I haven't yet seen the group exceed four people.

I think that is a shame. People need to TALK about this IMHO.
A women can't go to a public ladies room without seeing flyers about abuse - men have no dialog for this.

There should be dialog - there should be openness - there should be groups - there should be avenues for men to follow to disclose and heal.

I don't know how to start one - but I'm with the OP. It should be done. Even if 1 person shows up, keep on talking.

#348583 - 12/20/10 09:54 AM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: sugarbaby]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Disappointed....I'm trying to figure out your motives here, but will go in that they are genuine.

Group support comes in 2 main forms....therapist led v "peer to peer"...In this regard one would hope you have more than 2 members, but there is no trained facilitator, in a peer to peer group.

Individual meetings...are just that...me and a survivor hanging out...sometimes we talk some abuse and the effects...sometimes we don't....It's more leading to a friendship as well as support.

Further, in a group dynamic you sorta want different types of people....they don't necessarily have to be a "friendship" type relationsip (although it is possible)...but more so your looking for a safe place to talk about a variety of issues and from multiple viewpoints.

A T led "group" is something more structured...but I dont really have any experience with these...and probably wont in the future.

In all of this the goal is to speak more freely and process what we are going through...through good support...and be in a safe place to be able to share.....SAFETY of the survivor is the most important thing...if its not "right" for the survivor...its just not right and you shouldnt go.( maybe not the right time, right survivors, type).

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#348587 - 12/20/10 10:33 AM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: Castle]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Vital Cycles is peer generated and they have put together printable material and have retreats to help others start meetings, so there are some peer groups that provide some training. There material is well thought out. If anying you can print out what they have and use what u can.

They have been helpful to me.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#348874 - 12/22/10 09:50 PM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: michael Joseph]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Dear Castle,

My motive is simple: I've discovered there are men hurting because they were harmed when they were defenseless children. I would like to help, and as far as I can determine, the silence and isolation seems to fossilize the problem.

And if all I had to do was provide a place to meet and show up, then I could help.

I am concerned about having no control over who shows up. Have to think about it....

D.

#348905 - 12/23/10 08:07 AM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: Disappointed]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my brothers,

Well here in Texas there is one group registered and that is in Houston.

But, for me a 1 on 1 with another of my brothers in healing works wonders. We spend the weekend together and work on some of our issues. Plus we go out to eat & just enjoy each others company. And i get to go into civilisation(sp)? It is an 500 mile trip and being that i am retired it is a great way to spend the weekend out.

I was into a mixed group (males & females), and i will never do a mixed sex group again.

Heal well my brothers heal well.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#348923 - 12/23/10 02:03 PM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: Disappointed]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
D...I still dont get your motivation...from what i know about you...you are a friend of a survivor whom only talks to you via the web...let alone a trained facilitator to host a group.
I would never just goto some house/business to a group of a random person....safety and connection is key and cant be forced.
there are several organizations you could goto to help..or if the field really interests you..I would suggest you further your education to be effective as a trained facilitator or counselor.
I'm a legal videographer by trade..i have sat through thousands of depositions...i could take one..and pretty well too...but im not a lawyer or play one on tv....I dont think counsel would enjoy if i just opened up shop to provide legal advise about divorce based on information i found on a divorce message board.
If your motive is really pure...and geared twords helping men...look through the resourse page and contact a professional group and go about things the proper way.

Edited to add some other suggstions...order some books for your local abuse center geared twords men...make a donation to MS and sposon somebody for a WOR...ect ect ect.

Edited by Castle (12/23/10 03:50 PM)

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#349668 - 01/03/11 03:47 PM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: Castle]
sugarbaby Offline

Castle - I don't understand, why wouldn't the motives be pure?

#355262 - 03/01/11 03:22 PM Re: How to start a support group for male survivors? [Re: sugarbaby]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Castle,
Interesting thread for sure. The problem is there are usually no professionally lead groups by therapists, "trained facilitors" (unclear exactly what this means to me) or "counselor" (is a minister a counselor? ). They are often financially out of reach.

It's not a light undertaking at all, but people have done it for sure as peers and helped a lot. There are people who can advise you. You can start slowly and progress. A "no cross talk" rule for example creates a lot of safety/avoids risks. Simply hearing and being heard is worth a lot.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.