Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
3 registered (caesar14, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443466 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#344414 - 11/07/10 11:40 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: prisonerID]
davidm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you, again, Daryl.

I have tried, in years past, drowning out anniversary memories by listening to particularly noteworthy and mentally engaging works of music. The result, so far, is that whenever I hear Bach's Mass in B Minor, I think of my former music instructor. Perhaps, using something other than music -- like going to a movie -- might be more effective.

I'll find out this coming week about whether there are any governmental financial resources on which to draw. But I'm not expecting much.

As for medical resources, downtown Toronto seems to have a major hospital complex every few blocks, and at least three are undergoing major expansions. The biggest problem pertaining to these resources is the old issue of widespread and continuing ignorance regarding male victims of sexual assault. It's as if we're invisible.

#344418 - 11/07/10 02:25 PM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: davidm]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
makes me mad that that piece of $@*^(#&& ruined bach's mass in b minor for you, what a worthless SOB...

maybe classical music isn't the way to forge a positive memory but I do like what daryl said about creating a positive experience for that day... it won't completely overshadow the pain & suffering that you've endured, however, it does serve to remind us that life is worth living and there is still a lot of beauty in the world. i know for me, I had my 1 year anniversary and instead of being in the hospital, my nurse took me for a walk and we saw the beginnings of the fall foliage and the weather was warm enough to go outside without a coat. I am still sick but I was happy not to be in the hospital, and I was happy that I was with someone who was not going to hurt me. last year i never got to see the autumn weather because I was too sick to leave the hospital. maybe is there a way for you to get out of the city and see some natural beauty? I'm sure toronto is a cool place but maybe you could go hiking or something? possibly take your wife along? being with nature can be very freeing.

I wish there was some other way for that 1st hospital to have treated you... what they did was inexcusable and wrong. I get so angry at the mental healthcare system for doing things like that. I'm glad the 2nd hospital was able to give you your medication and is connecting you with resources that might be able to help you. You shouldn't have to face this kind of trauma alone. You are still a man, you are a human being who is worthy of support and understanding. Please know that we are here to try & support & understand you on your journey towards wholeness and healing.

- Saint John of the Cross

#347896 - 12/12/10 10:11 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: davidm]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Hi David:

Was reading through your posts above, and saw that you mentioned CAMH, and the Big Smoke. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. I grew up in Toronto. Yonge and Eg area.

Greetings from the Kawarthas where this morning we have been greeted with 5 inches of new snow. Ugh!

Cheers!

Jim

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.