Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63103 Topics
441289 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#346781 - 12/01/10 05:42 PM Poor Reaction
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hey guys,

I did something stupid and shameful today. I hate my reaction. Somebody I work with jokingly grabbed my chest from behind to give me a purple nurple. I was not ready and instinctively turned around and socked him right in the nose giving him a bloody nose without even thinking about it. Thank God he took it whole heartedly and started to laugh instead of running to my boss or slugging me back.

I just can't get over my reaction. I'm not the kinda guy who goes around starting fights, I don't know what came over me. What if he did care, I could have been fired. What if it was somebody else, somebody who can't take a hit or even worse somebody who I could have hurt.

I don't know I'm just not a violent person and that little outburst kinda scared me.

#346782 - 12/01/10 05:53 PM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: Riley]
kidneythis Offline

I'm not sure where you work but in my experience in the trades that incident would get you a good reputation.
I think its good that unconsciously you reacted to defend yourself from an assault. I think if you'd have seen it coming and did nothing, you'd feel worse than you do for giving the guy a bloody nose.
I don't think its worth it that you worry about what might have been. It didn't happen that way. In any case what you don't say is that if someone less good natured had done it they would have been just as guilty as this fella and you just as guiltless.

I say don't worry about it.

#346824 - 12/02/10 01:09 AM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: kidneythis]
john38 Offline

Loc: Pasadena CA
Hey Riley,

I hear you bro. Sometime it's so easy to give way to an immediate survivor reaction without even thinking. A part of you probably felt violated and unsafe and that's why you responded the way you did. You were triggered and appeared from the way I read it to be having a PTSD response. I just want you to know that it's okay to have boundaries and to tell the guys that you don't want them coming up from behind and grabbing you because you may not be able to control how you act. Some people have no clue that there are survivors in the world that can drop into their old stuff real easily. None the less, we don't have to beat ourselves up for it. It's what we do as survivors. Although we don't want to be at the effect of our hypervigilence triggers all the time, as we continue to do our safety making work with our inner kid, the types of responses like the one you had do diminish. Live and learn, and instead of beating yourself up, you may want to consider comforting yourself and the part that was triggered by the other guy's deed.

Anyways, that's what works for me. Good luck.

John+

#346845 - 12/02/10 09:48 AM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: john38]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I have also found that some instinct has kicked in at the wrong time. In the past when a person was putting her hand out to me in an affectionate way i instinctively grabbed it with force and stopped it. Then i felt bad, and felt quite shocked within myself. This has happened a number of times. Our body reacts in this way before our minds even recognise it- what do they call that? I don't remember, but it is true, the action comes before our conscious brain processes it, so i agree with the others, you definitely can't beat yourself up over this. I get it though, i know what you mean when you say you are shocked at yourself for reacting in such a way. It almost impedes on how you think of your own nature, but remember that some of these defence mechanisms are particularly sensitive for us not because of our own fault (or intrinsic nature) but because of how our personal space and bodies were invaded in the past. For that you can't be blamed, and it doesn't make you a bad person, as you have said yourself, "i'm just not a violent person". This doesn't change that.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#346885 - 12/02/10 01:44 PM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: king tut]
tommyb Offline

Loc: American South

#353120 - 02/08/11 06:09 PM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: tommyb]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
hey it happens do not be too hard

I for one think that is bad to do to someone

u can hurt someone bad doing that

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#353127 - 02/08/11 07:26 PM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: michael Joseph]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

Riley,
Lots of people might react the same way, suvivor or not, no shame in that if you ask me....I think that if you're clear to the people there that you didn't mean it, people won't be afraid of what you might do next...
All the best
steve

#353134 - 02/08/11 09:20 PM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: RecoveryReady1]
Awake at Last Offline

Loc: Chicago Land
Hi Riley,
I agree with everyone who said this kind of hyper-vigilance and reaction to having your boundaries crossed is not something to feel bad about.

It is something many of us know about. It doesn't mean you are going to become violent. You were triggered and responded.

Having gone through this and thinking about it will probably mean it is less likely to happen in the future.

On the bright side you learned something.
Take it easy.
Jim

#353167 - 02/09/11 06:31 AM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: Awake at Last]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
I thunk u were cool too riley

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#353182 - 02/09/11 10:04 AM Re: Poor Reaction [Re: Riley]
Sobernow Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Riley:

Don't know how to say this really ---- but here goes:

WAY TO GO BUDDY !!!!

Sorry, my T may not approve of my recommendation towards violence --- but wtf.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.