Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441338 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#346001 - 11/22/10 10:55 AM taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

(Looking back over this, this is a scattered post. I'll return later to clarify)

Guys,
I fear throwing this out (due to an internal "you're doing something WRONG"), but here goes.

I've returned to a mood stabilizer (Lamictal) I had been on since 2002, and had been off since 2008 for a past seizure disorder. It kept me "stable" emotionally in the past, but........

I was off it for a full year, from August 2009-July 2010. (no more seizure disorder) During that time, I felt.......like a little kid. Hmmmmm... was it good? Not always, but I was honest. I spoke with a survivor last week, he looked up my posts, and HALF of my over 470 posts were from March 2010 to the present. They dramatically weaned once I started the meds. I posted here about it admitting I felt like the meds "had taken control of my brain". Little feeling, less awareness, less connection with my wife and family, but.......why did i start in the first place? Why?

My anger.....continual grumpiness.....discontent, and contempt for my wife (my mother was my main offender). My wife grew afraid of me, and I was desperate for a way, a help (band-aid? ANYTHING!!!!) to our relationship. Therefore, I restarted the med.

I believe my anger is from two places: 1) candida albicans overgrowth, and 2) unresolved trauma. I put candida first because, well, I was wiling to be aware of it first. The second? Not so much. I've got a new T starting today, specifically working on trauma--using Rapid Resolution Therapy---promoted as VERY fast and very effective by SA survivors.

Killing off the candida (normally called yeast) makes me feel better, but worse initially. "Die-off", the death of the yeast, takes at least a good day to flush out. Lots of water is recommended. I use Lugol's iodine as a yeast killer. It works, as a clear die-off sign is fatigue. I've been focusing on it the last 24 hours, and I've coming back mentally and emotionally.

Anyway, my point for writing is to try to connect with others who may have been on meds for years and come off. I want my brain back, but............. (growing up here....)
I have to make my own choices. My point in life has always been to ask people "is this okay?" That has been MY training.

So I'm struggling with do I share, or do I protect myself? It's better to share this, so I am.

I'll be back later. I've got T now.

Alfred

#346022 - 11/22/10 04:29 PM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: fhorns]
kidneythis Offline

Alfred,
I recomend at first you speak to the prescribing physician or NP. If you want ammo aside from your anecdotes which doctors where I'm at pretty much ignore go to mayoclinic.com and read up on your meds. The column on the left has a drugs link then each drug listed by alphabet.
It was this list that showed me why my health was going downward on two separate occasions. Once when I was almost totally crippled by pain from my Statin drug and most recently by the effects of two drugs for diabetes. In fact toiday three daysd after stopping them my blood sugar is the lowest its been since they got me to start taking them!
I stopped on my own but I also wasn't relying on these meds for anything. Pretty much I had no good effects that I noticed for any of the three I stopped.
You describe this med as something that helps you. As for seizures look on cnn today and read the article about eating fat, and look up ketones as well. It may give you a new method for dealing with the seizures. It is a method used for epilepsy.

Mainly I'm sorry for the confusion and other effects of this drug on you but I relly think you should speak to your doctor before you stop it. Mine had no side effects on stopping yours probably will.

#346068 - 11/23/10 04:28 PM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: kidneythis]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Well done, Alfred,

Heal inside, upstairs and out, we are one in ourselves.

Sam

#346284 - 11/26/10 10:31 AM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: SamV]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

KT,

So far, I have found very few doctors who are well read on the (psycho) meds prescribed. Seizure control isn't necessary anymore, so these were only taken for mood control.

I'm aware that so much we ingest affects our psychological state or leanings, and (sounding like a health nut), I'm applying that knowledge. My other choice? Go on, or stay on meds........NO THANK YOU.

First off, I'm going to go at least another 2 weeks on my present dosage, for it's small. 25mg is my dosage, and I've been on half that for the last 4 days. I am using the model I used for tapering off originally, where approximately every 2 weeks the next decrease could take place. I found it at www.theroadback.org about 2 years ago, and it works. It seems slow, but considering the negative reactions I've experienced before.........no way--I'll wait. That site was a God-send when I wanted off meds, but didn't want the hell people often experience.

Secondly, I'm watching my moods and how they're affected by me consuming healthier foods (meaning less refined and sugary). I know candida is something which GREATLY affects my moods and thought process. I remember last summer consuming sweet stuff regularly, even thinking "wow, there are no consequences here". I felt like a kid in summer needing no restrictions. I was here at MS a lot with sporadic outbursts, but near the end of summer, I was downright mean. I was bitchy when I got up, and wanted to either rant or isolate. I even got purely intellectual at times, and I KNEW that was a front by me. I just knew it. I had gotten stuck in anger--and meds were eventually restarted by my own choice.

I'm not a perfectionist with diet issues (or anything really), but considering a little discipline with eating (which I've always leaned towards) vs. going on or staying on meds.........I like eating more. Treating the candida is a pain due to the direct consequences I experience when it's active: confusion, anxiety (big time), anger, and fluctuating moods. It's stressful since I experience it, but others (my family) has to face it too. But, it's possible to live without this. I know other can and do experience freedom from it. It takes practice.

Anyway, I'm just spilling out my plan here. I'm still withdrawing, still feeling some affects, and......am feeling many fleeting emotions while I've been here writing. I appreciate your feedback, and I'm grateful you share--I am not alone. Thank you. Later.

Alfred

#346365 - 11/27/10 04:45 PM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: fhorns]
kidneythis Offline

No problem bro

#346379 - 11/27/10 07:31 PM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: kidneythis]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I was only on Citalopram for about 6 months but getting off it made sense for me.

Side effects of tiredness, snoring, possible apnea, weight gain, etc. made it the right time to change. I chronicled my reasoning and my experience going through withdrawal here. My moods are much the same as they were, I don't have any anxiety and I'm in pretty good mental trim though I've been off Citalopram for a little over 5 weeks now.

Now all I have to do is get my weight back down to a healthier level. I went to the gym today and my heart rate was ridiculous - 97 before I got on a machine. Clearly I have a lot of work to do. smile I'm on vacation in December so I can establish my gym habit again and be at full steam in the new year, I hope.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#346542 - 11/29/10 01:29 PM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
kidneythis Offline

Its 10 days since I stopped the two drugs I deduced were the source of my troubles and I know a few things. I feel waaaay better. I also know that they were working since my blood sugar is in the 135 range (normal) two hours after I eat. Of course I didn't check it before and after meals before I stopped taking the meds. In fact I was told only to test when I woke up. I'm watching it to see if I can keep it down myself.

It seems to be in the normal range two hours after eating and a bit high if I eat to many carbs in the meal. WHich makes me wonder; what were my glucose tolerance test results? IDK I did lose a lot of weight and I have been eating much better for nearly a year now.

It sucks that I dread having to deal with my medical care providers so much I don't want to call them to include them in this.

Edited by kidneythis (11/29/10 01:30 PM)

#346543 - 11/29/10 01:46 PM Re: taking meds or not--withdrawal concerns [Re: kidneythis]
kidneythis Offline

I just looked it up and according to American Diabetes Association my blood sugar numbers are good. So that's one worry to let go.
Yea right! :-] what me not worry? :-]

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.