Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
8 registered (Anura, kcinohio, jmr2191, Jude, focusedbody, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445570 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#346436 - 11/28/10 04:54 PM Sin
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

How do you know if something in your life is sin? What if it is something that feels right yet you are told that you are going to hell because of it?

#346441 - 11/28/10 05:34 PM Re: Sin [Re: Barkabus]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
Good questions.

Edited by Avery46 (12/01/10 05:53 PM)

#346449 - 11/28/10 06:20 PM Re: Sin [Re: Avery46]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

So, what then, is sin and do people go to hell because of it?

#346457 - 11/28/10 06:52 PM Re: Sin [Re: Barkabus]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I believe the only sensible definition of "sin" is wronging another person. Of course, the very concept of "sin" is moot if there are no gods.

No gods = No divine law = No sin.

I don't believe in the idea of "sinning" against gods.
I don't believe there is a hell or a purgatory.
I don't believe that people go to hell if they "sin".

I do believe in doing what's right because it *is* right, and not because you fear retribution from vengeful gods.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#346472 - 11/28/10 09:57 PM Re: Sin [Re: Barkabus]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
For me, I like the definition of sin as "to miss the mark"-meaning I sin when I stray From my life's purpose. As a survivor and recovering addict, and former self-righteous, angry man-my aim is getting better as I leave behind the things that don't work and cause me and others anguish.

I know my creator has a plan for me and has saved me many times-he is invested in my happiness and joy and usefulness to others. When i hurt others or stray from my purpose, God is sad.

As for being confused about "stuff that feels right" my gut sense is the best guide. I also have men in my life I trust and respect who give me guidance when I ask for it.
Developing these relationships and gut sense takes effort, but is worth it
Since I have to be honest deep down to make this all work.

Edited by Mountainous Buck (11/28/10 10:03 PM)

ďIt doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#346487 - 11/29/10 12:25 AM Re: Sin [Re: Mountainous Buck]
Tyler845 Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
This is very insightful buck. A great guiding light because it personally hits on me on a few levels. Thank you for this.

Over-Ride Emotional Conflict With Rational Truths

You Are Freer Than You Think - Paul Berteaux

Come unto Me, all ye that Labor, and are Heavy-ladened. I will give you Rest -Jesus Christ

#346761 - 12/01/10 03:43 PM Re: Sin [Re: Tyler845]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
Is "any want of conformity unto or transgression of the law of God"

or otherwise the lack of conformity to the law of God
and if you are a true Christian sin can no longer be except able to you any longer . will you sin yes for we all sin and fall short of the glory of God, but we must conform our lives in such a way that we do not keep doing that witch is sin over and over . we must use the power of the holy spirit to overcome sin in our lives. we will sin but we must not continue in sin.

if you are sinning in an area of your life you work on it through the power of the holy spirit and the word of God renewing your mind and you will eventually no longer sin in that area in your life and than on to the next and the next always growing always making progress.

i hate to be the one to not be kind hearted or light about this issue but i could not in all my knowledge of the word of God tell you anything different.

YES YOU CAN AND WILL GO TO HELL IF YOU CALL YOURSELF A CHRISTIAN AND CONTINUE ON IN A SINFUL MANNER WITHOUT A REPENTANT HEART AND A TURNING AWAY FROM SIN.
do not get mad at me for i am simply the messenger , do not direct your anger at me i am just simply stating what the word of God says .

it is not my opinion or what i think that matters this is what the word of God says not me .
i believe in the word of God and if you do than may he reveal the things that you ask to you . and if you do not believe in the word of God that is your choice .

all i am doing is presenting what is in the word not sugar coated but plain .
sin is sin and it keeps us from God no matter how big or small .

hell is separation from God for eternity weather it is a place of fire and brimstone i can not say but one thing i can say is that if you continue on in sin knowing this God of the bible than yes you will be condemned to hell.

i believe in the word of God and if you do than may he reveal the things that you ask to you . and if you do not believe in the word of God that is your choice .

now i do believe if you are a christian than through the holy spirit sin will be revealed to you .

not mans opinion whether this is a sin or that is a sin but what does the word of God say and what does your spirit witness to you about this issue in your life.

for if it is sin whether taught or not the very spirit of God that is in you will bear witness to this . hope this helps

Edited by nltsaved (12/01/10 07:10 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling and more clear " i hope"
you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#346763 - 12/01/10 03:58 PM Re: Sin [Re: nltsaved]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
editing-this is taking a turn away from healing

Edited by Avery46 (12/01/10 05:52 PM)
Edit Reason: editing-this is taking a turn away from healing

#346780 - 12/01/10 05:39 PM Re: Sin [Re: Barkabus]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
Originally Posted By: Barkabus
So, what then, is sin and do people go to hell because of it?

SORRY this is what i was replying to i did not make that clear

you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#346820 - 12/02/10 12:28 AM Re: Sin [Re: Avery46]
CheerfulJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: England (at the moment)
Sin can also be seen as unreality. I'm seeing for example at the moment that the isolation csa causes, led me to trying too hard to be nice/acceptable. All the>

#346822 - 12/02/10 12:36 AM Re: Sin [Re: CheerfulJohn]
CheerfulJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: England (at the moment)
Oh and my secular therapist has helped me no end by showing me that:

"Bad shit happens to good little boys"

#346825 - 12/02/10 02:00 AM Re: Sin [Re: CheerfulJohn]
james 1959 Offline

To me sin is when you feel guilty about somethingyou have done that bothers you.

Up on till recently i found society made me feel like a sinner and not God him self

Gods loves me for who i am , im not perfect , but nither are those that judge me as a sinner of this world.

No one has the right to judge anyone evey one carries their own baggage in this life

God Loves me for who im,. and i dnt need forgivness of sin from anyone else

ive done alot of Good in my life and it out weights any bad or sins ive done by miles

And remember no one is prefect so no one has the right to judge.

God loves me to day and every day and i love him

James

#353671 - 02/14/11 07:01 PM Re: Sin [Re: CheerfulJohn]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

This is nourishing me ...

#353725 - 02/15/11 10:14 AM Re: Sin [Re: CheerfulJohn]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

To drink alcohol is not a sin....but if you are an alcoholic...then to drink alcohol is a sin.....and so on...

#353726 - 02/15/11 10:24 AM Re: Sin [Re: RecoveryReady1]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Why put the spin
Of sin
On actions of men
When
Healing needs to begin

I just donít see why we have to infuse evil when talking about such things as when a man is an alcoholic and drinks it is because he is fallen, therefore evil. It loads the real issue which is that for some drinking is harmful.

For instance for me to drink milk is dangerous. My throat swells up and I canít breathe. Is it a sin if I drink milk? Give me a break. Itís stupid maybe but not evil or against the Ēlaws of GodĒ. Iím not bad Iím allergic.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#353729 - 02/15/11 11:00 AM Re: Sin [Re: earlybird]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

I don't know anything about religion....to me I cannot separate it from Walt Disney....
I just used the word sin to mean ...very bad for me....
I'm just an idiot....don't listen to me.

#353730 - 02/15/11 11:03 AM Re: Sin [Re: RecoveryReady1]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

I agree with what you wrote there earlybird...

That is the way I view it as well.

#353731 - 02/15/11 11:05 AM Re: Sin [Re: RecoveryReady1]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
But RR,

I want to listen to you. I need to listen to you and everyone. Just because we each may approach things with different words, beliefs or ideas does not have to cause us to travel differnt paths or stop us from listing and talking to each other. That would be my idea of a sin. :-)

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#353732 - 02/15/11 11:11 AM Re: Sin [Re: earlybird]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Indeed Earl,

Drinking is a disorder, not murder. The Bible is very clear about the difference.

A sin is defined as "an act that defies a moral rule". Over imbibing in drink certainly covers that, even though it is not punishable by death.

Sin comes in when those who wish desire a relationship with a spiritual entity that requires a certain lifestyle standard. Living within that standard promotes well being, and acting outside those standards creates a healthy guilt that helps the follower to change their life to conform.
Continued acting out creates a "numbness" that hardens the follower to a life of slavery to sin, acting without morals in this regard.

Sin has a proper place in reminding us that the struggle to live a moral existence is difficult and needs constant monitoring. Sin is an integral part of searching for a higher power. It is part of a system designed to reconcile man and God.

Very often, sufferers of traumatic events will "act out" by abusing coping mechanisms that are "under the radar". These can ultimately come out as being abused, i.e., car accident.

Ultimately, God wants us to be with him, to share in his perfection, to learn a proven moral code and be filled peace. Sin is the opposite of blessing, but adhering to a higher power, and changing our paths when we encounter sin, can lead to a life filled with blessings, children, good health, freedom from wickedness.

Can a person have those "blessings" without following a God? Sure, there a many examples of those who do not recognize God as a source of guidance in their lives, and they live by a moral code that does not include sin as guilt, and the benefits of following a moral code as a blessing.

Personally, I went to a retreat where there were many traditions and ceremonies I felt were unnecessary and overbearing, I was certainly overloaded by the experience. However, after careful reflection, I found these to be enlightening and of value.
The ceremonies work to reinforce the desire of the follower to a course of life that he wishes, serving a God certainly can have positive results on a lifestyle, instead of one's own moral compass, that can be marginalized by abuse and rationalization.

A guide is just a guide, a sin is just a sin, my dear friend. Sin can be removed, and the journey continued as easily as a blessing bestowed. To the latter, the Happy God I serve searches me out and seeks to reward me, personally. When I sin, I work diligently to correct it, to get back to a guilt free life, and the blessings, as I believe it, from God, and ultimately, from adherence to a good moral code.

#353733 - 02/15/11 11:12 AM Re: Sin [Re: RecoveryReady1]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

Really all I meant was that nothing in itself is bad....If you drink too much water you can die....does that make water evil...

That's all I meant...

Why do we feel the need to poison ourselves? that's the issue to me....not what we use....

#353737 - 02/15/11 11:23 AM Re: Sin [Re: RecoveryReady1]
RecoveryReady1 Offline

Sam....Thanks for that...It is so impressive, the depth to which people on this site understand and are able to articulate so many complex ideas....and with such giving and compassion....
steve

#353740 - 02/15/11 11:57 AM Re: Sin [Re: RecoveryReady1]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
i think there are two tracks.

one track is to self: so, sin to, and or of, self is something you do that results in having to repair or restore goodness.

another track is to those outside of self: so, in this case i view sin as something that harms another living organism and requires repair to others and/or environment. yes... this does mean that i sin when i kill a spider in my house, which is why the right thing to do is capture it and toss it outside.

i don't buy into the god, heaven, hell movement, however, it remains just as important not to sin in my view -- for the simple reason that when i die i'll accept that i did the best that was humanly possible given the tools i had.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.