Newest Members
flower, BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern
12122 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
5 registered (mike1965, CafeMan, ShortedDiode, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12122 Members
73 Forums
62530 Topics
438184 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#345865 - 11/20/10 04:30 PM Living in a fog
Git'in Better Offline

Loc: Texas
Its been a while since I have been on and I have question. The last week or so I walk [or stumble] around like I am watching a movie of life around me without being an active part of anything. I just float around detached from life. My poor wife has an extra child on her hands when I am like this. I know this is common but how long does it last ? Ive got to pull myself back into reality. I was molested by a female at age 5.

#345920 - 11/21/10 09:48 AM Re: Living in a fog [Re: Git'in Better]
Michael Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Claremore, Oklahoma
I am glad I am not the only one. I have been like that for years now. Actually, since I entered therapy, nothing has been the same. I sometimes wonder if I should have even addressed this issue of abuse. I had pushed it so far down, that I could have gone on without it bothering me. Of course, my behavior bothered everyone else that I loved, so I really had no choice. I just find that I feel totally disconnected and like I am in another reality and just observing what is going on around me.

#345926 - 11/21/10 12:33 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: Michael]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
This sounds like disassociation, a defense mechanism we used to preserve and protect ourselves from what happened to us. The mechanism keeps working long after our abuse and it takes effort to get back into our bodies, get grounded, and be present.

That this kind of disassociation should come up as you are working through issues with a T makes sense to me. When I feel that way I work to stay in the now, I close my eyes and imagine myself as a tree with roots deep into the ground, strong, wide and safe. Then I work on feeling that sensation in my body and mind. Once I feel that connection to the present then I try and discern what I was feeling, thinking, or reacting to.

I really recommending working with your T on this, as they can help get some perspective and come up with strategies that will work best for you.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#345963 - 11/21/10 10:11 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Git'in Better Offline

Hey thanks guys. I'm glad to know this is not unusual. I was much more with everything today. It comes and goes and I don't know what triggers it. I wonder if sometimes I have a bad dream and don't remember it. Anyway thank you again. Heal well my Brothers.

#346034 - 11/22/10 10:30 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: Git'in Better]
Git'in Better Offline

I woke up this am and pondered life and realized that the present reality is what is where I am . Not the fat,smelly witch that got me as a child nor the flying monkies nightmare I had. I believe I turned the corner this a.m. . I simply cant live in the "FOG" anylonger. I must stay focused on my present reality . My life is good, I have a great wife and kids, I must remain Dad now not little Mikie. I will think about being the tree, solidly grounded in the present. Thank you again Brothers. Heal well...

#346073 - 11/23/10 04:53 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: Git'in Better]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Git'in Better

It's called dissociation. It was a defense mechanism when we were little. But it carries on into adult life far longer than it serves any purpose for us. We can learn how to "wake up" that sleepy self. Sometimes it takes a professional T (therapist).

Allen

pufferfish

#346273 - 11/26/10 01:08 AM Re: Living in a fog [Re: pufferfish]
sLiPpeth Offline

Ah, yes...the "fog" I know it well.

When I was in my mid-twenties, I had a Dissassociative Fugue that lasted a few months. Apparently, got into my car...drove hundreds of miles away and woke up one day.

Wasn't until a few weeks ago, talked with a friend about that experience. A lot about that time frame was "blank"...I started having dreams and it kind of came together.

Weird fog for a couple of days after, and earlier memories started coming forward. Shared with a friend as well...just totally honest about crap I'd never talked with anyone about before.

Tonight I was listening to Christmas music. First song came on, and I found myself swaying from side to side.. arms extended, hands curled and an interesting tingling sensation in my forearms. Caught myself in that moment; and laughed at the sensation of being an overgrown toddler.

Said to myself, screw being a sensible adult...I'm going to keep this up and enjoy the experience to the end of the song.

In that moment, I felt fully connected to my own core being. In that and this present moment...an awareness, connected experience and sensation I hadn't known in a long long time.

Poking at a scabbed over scar is a harrowing experience. But seems like something is in process of working itself out...like finding me.

#347345 - 12/06/10 11:07 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: sLiPpeth]
jorgea73 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yes. The "Fog" is very common. I had many episodes like that when I was a teenager and my 20s. The disassociated feeling is something that is very common for us. I sort of "snap" out of it by sort of "meditating" and just concentrating on myself and becoming aware of my surroundings. That usually brings me around. Did that sound weird? It's always worked for me.

#347351 - 12/06/10 11:31 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: jorgea73]
MusicMan Offline

Loc: Elmira, NY
I can so relate to this. This way of being has always been a part of my life. The "fog", the dissociation. I can remember being in grade school and the parents telling my teachers about me being this way. Yet, I continued to do it because I couldn't help it. It just happened naturally. Who knew at that time that it was related to this CSA stuff?

Although it would probably sound weird to anyone else, I guess we know that our world is a little different. It's just good to know that we share our own world.

#347944 - 12/12/10 05:24 PM Re: Living in a fog [Re: Git'in Better]
Awake at Last Offline

Loc: Chicago Land
Living in a fog, coping, sleepwalking--I have spent too much of my life in this mode. I was abused at age six, so maybe it has something to do with the way we first dealt with abuse--as a child deals with stuff. The child survivor in me created a lot of no go zones, so I think I was entering the fog as a way of not dealing with issues. I now imagine I have to find all those emotional places that I hid from myself. Like you I have to struggle not to slip back into this pattern. Otherwise, I lose myself and become detached, just like you describe. I am new here, but I thought I would reply to this post and the thread that follows because I read it with great interest when I was lurking around on the site reading postings. Thank you for starting this discussion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.