Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
5 registered (SJC, peroperic2009, 3 invisible), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445471 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#345164 - 11/14/10 12:08 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Still]
kevinkr Offline

Being an Episcopal Clergy Abuse Victim, I also belong to SNAP. You may find some answers to your question there. In my opinion, it really is, a combination of things. The churches ability (whatever denomination) to successfully avoid the topic, PR work on the part of the organization, the topic is NEVER discussed unless forced by law, and the average parishners total devotion to their faith. (Blind faith). There are, sympathetic non-victim parishners, they generally remain quiet, except on an individual basis. I did a ton of press after Oprah, local CBS, a syndicated newspaper article, and my cousin, who is a devout Episcopalian called me and said "go for it!". That was nice. So, they are out there, mainly silent, (let's not rock the boat) types. The vocal ones are the people who blast us in the media, calling victims "destructive, angry people". I personally believe that the Church PAYS a certain amount of people to post editorial comments, to put up a "false facade" of support. But the most important thing is, remember you are NOT alone. And to those clergy abuse victims who still remain faithful to their denomination, that's great, find peace in whatever means you can. Work from within the system. I am not judgemental, to whatever a person chooses to believe, I just personally have no trust left for organized religion. I choose to fight the good fight using the media and the law. I now find my God through people, such as other victims and sympathetic individuals. My God, is inside each and every one of us.

#345167 - 11/14/10 12:22 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: kevinkr]
kevinkr Offline

One other thing. The Oprah experience brought to me, 2 VERY good and sympathetic reporters, 1 in print and 1 in TV. All I do now is, place a call and they are there to cover the topic. So, the whole experience of "daytime talk tv" was productive. And the Dr. was very informed. I am not a big Tyler fan, but I really enjoyed some of what he said, and Oprahs staff member coming out was huge. Of course all the victims and their significant others that got to speak, was very brave. Any media, as far as Clergy Abuse is concerned helps. It puts pressure on the organization to say something besides "no comment".

#345681 - 11/18/10 05:19 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: kevinkr]
Nony Offline
New Here

I have a question about the Oprah show for the moderators, participants or anyone else that can answer it. I've seen several references here from attendees and others to the "doctor" who appeared on the Oprah show. Do most visitors know of his role in Male Survivor?

Of course, that was Dr. Howard Fradkin-- Co-Chairperson of the MaleSurvivor Weekends of Recovery, Board Member and founding board member of Male Survivor. Why did Dr. Fradkin not speak (or was not allowed to speak?) about MaleSurvivor, Weekends of Recovery and his association them them? Other Oprah guests hawk books, movies, etc. and I don't understand why Dr. Fradkin's association--a major one, especially his development of the Weekends of Recovery--with MaleSurvivor was not mentioned (I am aware of the links on the Oprah show web page).

#345683 - 11/18/10 05:40 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Nony]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Nony,

Harpo productions position going in was that there would be no promoting of support organizations, websites, etc., on the shows themselves, but that they would provide a resource page on the Oprah website following the shows. I'm not sure what the reasoning was but presumably they wanted to make the shows about the topic and not about organizations, websites, or mental health practitioners.

Edited by WalkingSouth (11/18/10 06:00 PM)

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.