Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
6 registered (TOM2, AustinChemist, susie, YYZGIRL, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63173 Topics
441753 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#344904 - 11/12/10 08:03 AM X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I've been reading a lot about these scanners the last couple weeks. People reluctantly use these virtual strip seach machines to get on with their flight. Various websites are abuzz about how these machines can show great details of anatomy, including whether one is circumcised.

Two pilots unions are balking at the machines, stating they should not have to be subjected to being irradiated and ogled every day just to report for work. I for one don't blame them. For those who opt out of the scanner, they are subjected to a thorough touching-and-groping session amounting to sexual assault - a major complaint by pilots and patrons alike. One pilot felt so molested by the TSA, that he vomited in his driveway before heading to work at the very thought of being molested again by the TSA.

I already don't fly because I'd just rather drive. This severe invasion of privacy and sexual abuse is another reason for me to enjoy the countryside on my trips.

One of many articles on this can be read here.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#344908 - 11/12/10 08:52 AM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: FormerTexan]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
My wife and I flew to Houston last Friday for the weekend, and on the return flight at the Houston airport I went through one of those. I didn't realize that I was in "that line" until I got right up to it. The other line simply went through the regular metal detector. Flustered by the moment of realization, I went on through it. Afterward, I did feel kind of violated. As I told my wife, "I don't mind showing you my parts, but I don't want anyone else looking at them." All another part of the experience of flying that I have come to loathe.

#344926 - 11/12/10 12:36 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: EGL]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor

Trigger warnings on this one as well. Here is another article on the subject.

1. That

#344928 - 11/12/10 01:25 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: FormerTexan]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
this is one of those subjects that annoys the hell out of me for a number of reasons. primarily you are (repeat are) presumed to be a terrorist before boarding a plane. which, in my very humble view, translates into that old judge on the bench in 1979 saying: "you prove to us just how you could have been raped...." ring a bell with anyone else?

secondly, my own investigation has already revealed the 'fetish' stories and secret photos from TSA workers that now populating sites that i don't need to mention here. particularly shoes/feet/socks.

i give up on this issue, because i find it so absurd and yet totally reflective of our culture in fear today. my only solution has been, i refuse to fly in winter months and when weather is warm and i have to to travel for work, i really do only show up in flipflops, shorts, tshirt, and a change of clothes in a carry on. and it takes every bit of energy inside of me not to pop-off on them. (of course i know just one word from my snarky mouth will land me in airport jail and i lose again.)

#344940 - 11/12/10 04:09 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: westchesterguy]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Think of this as God's way of saying "America, it's time to rediscover the passenger train."

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#344956 - 11/12/10 05:42 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: melliferal]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
I'll stick with my road atlas. wink

1. That

#344960 - 11/12/10 05:51 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: FormerTexan]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: melliferal
Think of this as God's way of saying "America, it's time to rediscover the passenger train."

If that is the case, God had better let his pals the Republicans know about it.

kevin

#345067 - 11/13/10 09:55 AM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: sono]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
I'm confident this is a bipartisan effort.

1. That

#345121 - 11/13/10 06:18 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: FormerTexan]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

I don't get that impression Andy. It always seems quite clear that it is republicans who wish to block and deride discussions of such "public works" projects. Obama's LA to Vegas proposal for one. I've been at parties where a republican will say, " well if the Dems have their way, we'll all be riding trains'". Anecdotal for sure, but not uncommon.

K

#345166 - 11/14/10 12:21 PM Re: X-Ray Scanners, Groping At Airports - Triggers [Re: sono]
kidneythis Offline

I haven't flown since I think it was 1998 so I'm not familiar with the post September 11th 2001 security practices. I have been searched. In my own home town some fat ol white lady decided I wasn't white enough and just opened my bag and started to just toss stuff out of it. I imagine she imagined maybe I had drugs or something.
Anyway it did not feel good and I objected and was almost set upon by a half dozen guys it turns out all of them had been watching me.
That said so you know I understand at some level what its like to be treated as suspect when there is no apparent reason because in the end it is a necessary evil.

That being true for my argument (I believe it) I look at the scanners and pat downs as something that we need to do. Why mention this? Well during my life before I knew and understood the source of these insecurities in me I has serious triggering events on a regular basis as mentioned here with the pat downs.
One of the ways I dealt with it, to the point that I could often supress it entirely by the time I was 32 or so was to rationally break it down.
Fact one most people go through it (it=whatever the trigger was) w/o any apparent bad reaction so it must not be something intrinsically bad. Fact two I should be able to do this as well (remember I'm facing the world thinking these were my character defects and nothing else) so I work at making myself OK with doing what all the other normal people do. Or at least the people I want to be like do.
And that is the way I dealt with this sort of triggering. From my perspective those of you who know its from the abuse have an edge with this method, any flare ups and the problem itself have a source you can point to. I guess its a form of self taught compartmentalisation ( I had no idea this was a normal thing that all people did) so I could seem normal. A lot of my post sexual abuse abuse was to make me seem weird and abnormal.

Long winded as usual but I hope it helps until you all find a better way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.