Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443141 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#344446 - 11/07/10 10:02 PM Hello All
Chebanon Offline

It's been a long time since I've visited this site. I attended the May WoR, so hey to all those that went with me. Also, to everyone that went on the Oprah show, you rock! I saw it on the MS front page and just had to google the episode. It was awesome and encouraging, though hard to watch.

So I've learned a few things in the months since the WoR. By far, the biggest thing I've learned is to stop punishing myself. When I say "punish", I mean anything that I do to cause myself suffering, but it often came in the form of cutting. Let me put forth a quick warning, before I continue: This is somewhat religious and Christian based. I put it here because it is very much a part of my recovery.

No, I don't mean punishing myself for what happened to me as a kid - that I still claim some responsibility for. No, I mean punishing myself for every time I let the victim behavior rule me. Sometimes I get mad at myself for stupid mistakes, but it kills me when I realize that I am screwing up because of something that has roots in my past. That's when I used to punish myself for screwing up. You know what the kicker is? "Self-improvement" is one of the things that my "abuser" made me learn. Anyway, why do I not punish myself anymore? There's no use in it. No matter what I do, I cannot pay for my sins - we all know what the "wages of sin" are. Not only does it do no good to punish myself, but it insults Jesus, who already paid for my sins. Only one way to go from there...

#390360 - 03/23/12 11:42 AM Re: Hello All [Re: Chebanon]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Hey Chebanon,
Good to hear you are finding balance in recovery and resisting the abuse controls. I too find the good that I learned around and while surviving through the abuse that would be beneficial to my maturity I reject at first.
It is a struggle to find our niche, but it sounds like you are on the right path.
Much success to you, fellow survivor, I look forward to your future posts.
Sam

#390639 - 03/25/12 12:36 AM Re: Hello All [Re: Chebanon]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
Punishing yourself whether it be physically or emotionally or some combination of both is something many of us do in order to survive. After all, why you? Why me? Why us? It must have been something wrong with us, right? Assuming this to be true we would be worthy of punishment...EXCEPT, there was and is nothing wrong with us. NOTHING you did invited or encouraged the abuse you endured as a child. That responsibility falls on the adult/older person who abused you. Furthermore, punishing yourself for behaviors that allowed you to survive up to now may not be necessary. You don't deserve punishment, you deserve healing. You can adjust your bad habits a little at a time as you move through the recovery process. Remember, it takes time and effort and there will be mistakes made, but as many others on this site will tell you "be kind to yourself."

#390644 - 03/25/12 02:04 AM Re: Hello All [Re: Publius]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Chebanon - love your avatar! powerful image.
Keep on shouting!!!
Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.