Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
10 registered (mike1965, Jude, Alan Fountain, 4 invisible), 63 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62561 Topics
438347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#344300 - 11/06/10 08:39 AM Today is the 25th anniversary
davidm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Today is the 25th anniversary of the first time I was sexually assaulted by my music instructor. I knew this would be a difficult day -- especially when I realized that, because of the months I was completely disabled by PTSD during the spring and summer, I wouldn't reach my goal of setting a solicitor on my former instructor by this date.

But fate has managed to make things even worse. My varying degrees of disability this past year have reduced my wife and me to destitution. As a result, I haven't been able to afford to see a therapist. And last night I took my last dose of the antidepressant that's restored at least some of my mental functioning -- and I haven't the money to refill the pre>

#344308 - 11/06/10 09:19 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: davidm]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
David,

The anniversary of an assualt are hard to deal with and I do not know how they usually are for you. One difference I see is that you are here with us this year and I am very glad of that.

For my anniversaries some are worse than others. I usually take a long drive and allow myself to feel however I need to feel. I make a vow to avoid self-destructive behaviors. Then several years ago I followed a therapist's advice and attempted to take back that date. He suggested I do something for myself and try to form a positive memory for that date. Sometimes I have success in that and sometimes I do not. But I try to at least have a little "fun" for part of that day.

Mostly I decided however I spend it is okay as long as I keep myself safe.

I know an anniversary, especially one of 25 years, can evoke a lot of what-ifs and views of loss and destruction. You spoke of how rough things are for you right now. Last night in chat you impressed me with what you have done with your legal studies and the research you have gathered for your plan. You, in my opinion, have done a lot of work that would tax my mind and abilities.

I do not know how this day will turn out for you but however it does please stay safe and remember that this day will pass.

Talk to us about it and share your pain. We understand in our hearts, minds and souls what you speak of here. Hold your hand out, brother. Let us take hold of it.

Daryl

#344326 - 11/06/10 11:57 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: prisonerID]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
David,

I hear your pain. I understand your pain.

Your unique and special.

I am not sure what resources are in your area but I am confident you will be ok at the end of today when you lay your head down as you give yourself - your body the sleep and rest it will need.

As Daryl, said above we are here for you. We are reaching out our virtual hands to you.

chat later ok....

Donnie

#344334 - 11/06/10 01:54 PM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: davidm]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
You and your wife will be in my prayers today. Thank God you have her... it sounds like she care about you very much.

No matter what happens, you will have our support. You and your wife will have each other. I just went through my 1 year anniversary. it was so many different kinds of painful. my heart definitely goes out to you today. But I'm also hopeful that sometime soon, maybe not today but soon, this horrible guy who hurt you will be served the lawsuit of his life and everyone around him will know what kind of disgusting pervert he is. It is his turn to suffer the humiliation and the shame and I hope he rots for what he did.

I hope the hospital will give you the kind of medication you need, or that you'll be connected to services that will help you in some way. we are here for you.

- Peter

- Saint John of the Cross

#344350 - 11/06/10 03:38 PM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: CruxFidelis]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hi David

You are in my thoughts and prayers today-I like the idea of reclaiming the date to make it about your strength, your truth, your life. I am glad your wife is there for you-know that we are all there for you too. Make it a god day!' smile

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#344352 - 11/06/10 04:16 PM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: Mountainous Buck]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my fraternal brother, David.

I offer you my compassion, understanding & love. I know that it won't pay for your medicine nor help pay your bills.

But, my fraternal brother David, that offer, is the only thing that i possess.

You are in my thoughts & prayers.

Heal well, my brother David, heal well.

" I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity." As he is me.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#344401 - 11/07/10 08:47 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: petercorbett]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
david I wish you peace and comfort and hope somehow your
money situation gets better
and your emotional one too

MJ

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#344406 - 11/07/10 10:18 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: prisonerID]
davidm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you, Daryl. I'm immensely grateful for the patience and support you gave me in the chat room on Friday night.

The strategy your therapist suggested of trying to invert the symbolism of the anniversary sounds good, though very hard to achieve.

As it was, I spent six hours yesterday in the emergency section of one hospital yesterday -- which got off to a bad start. They decided I might be suicidal, so they put me in an observation room and sent three security guards in to search me. They made me stand facing a wall, with my hands on the wall, while one of them ran his hands over me and fished inside my pants for any dangerous objects. Needless to say, violent flashbacks followed. I spent the next hour sobbing with a security guard seated nearby.

Eventually, I was transferred to another hospital's emergency ward, where I spent another five hours. However, the people there were far more knowledgeable and much nicer -- doubtless because that hospital, CAMH, specializes in matters like PTSD. They gave me a weeks's supply of medication, and are investigating long-term solutions, sending out enquiries to various possible resources.

These solutions are not likely to solve the financial chasm that's opened beneath my feet during the months I've been disabled, but perhaps it's a start.

#344408 - 11/07/10 10:31 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: davidm]
davidm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you, so very much, Peter, Donnie, MountainousBuck and Pete, for your kind and supportive words.

Thank you, as well, MJ -- and also for your patience with me in the chatroom on Friday.

#344409 - 11/07/10 10:32 AM Re: Today is the 25th anniversary [Re: davidm]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
David,

My heart hurts so much for what you had to endure yesterday. Just because people have medical training does not mean they have people skills nor an understanding of emotional heath issues. I am so sorry for what you went through at the first hospital.

I am glad that the second one had staff that were more aware of your needs and reached out to you. I appreciate that they are attempting to find resources for you. If you do not hear back from them I would encourage you to make contact with them. I hope they gave you a particular person or department to communicate with to make it easier for you.

I am thanful, as hard as it was, that you made it through yesterday. I know that the days before and after can be rough as well. I hope you can get some rest today - you so deserve it.

Yes, it is difficult to follow what the therapist urged me to do. I found that my "all or nothing" personality came heavily into play. I finally gained some ground when I raalized that if I even had a few minutes of relief from the memories that was a victory and a good start. That is what I did some years ago. I forced myself to see a movie and though I did not enjoy all of it there were short spans of time that I actually was into the movie. That was my first time to mark a different memory. Since then I have done better and then fell back since some anniversaries were worse than others. But I have been able to carve a few good memories into that date.

I am not familiar with Canada's resources but hope there are some out there to help with your current financial issues.

So glad to hear from you today. I am proud of you.

Daryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.