Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (JW1230), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63547 Topics
443996 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#343393 - 10/28/10 09:01 AM Old defense mechanism habits are hard to break
Marley Offline

In communicating with a friend here, he gently mentioned that perhaps I needed to find new ways in which to cope with stress. If it was not for this statement I would have never thought about this. Thanks Daryl.

Defense mechanisms developed in childhood to survive the un-survivable. I did not realize that I carried all of that with me into adult hood. Still managing stressful situations with either anger directed at the wrong people, or simply turning off, shutting down and running away from a situation instead of dealing with it.

Turning small problems into mountains and making completely irrational decisions.

They are hard habits to break. When faced with a stressful situation, without even knowing it I automatically resort back to expecting the worst possible outcome and I throw up that wall before anyone can hurt me.

But that wall keeps out the good stuff too.

Like the love and support given to me unconditionally by my partner, like the chance to build a new relationship with a sibling, the chance to build a stronger relationship with other family members. Like the opportunity to meet and become friends with new people and the opportunity to heal.

It has been far too easy to hide behind that wall and make excuses for my actions and in-actions. It is easy to blame the negative aspects of who I am today on my past.

Why do I hold onto it so tight? All the bad, why does anyone?

Anyway, I am sure this is not a new concept but to me it is about new and positive things to think about. Oh and more money for my psych.

Thank you, thank you.

Marley

#343827 - 11/01/10 09:42 AM Re: Old defense mechanism habits are hard to break [Re: Marley]
Gamgee Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Marley, I said on another post today, that there is a biological (or evolutionary) reason why we hold onto the bad. It is more important to our survival to remember threats than pleasant things. So, it takes a lot more work to overcome fear and suspicion. One way that Western psychotherapy falls short is to emphasize dealing with the trauma, but without replacing it with learning to feel good. When we remember trauma, we are practicing it. We need to practice feeling safe and happy, so we will get better at that. Ron.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.