Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluestar7 (45), ferdie1949 (65), jonathan (57), LovingFriend (27), tjp42588 (26)
Who's Online
6 registered (Minute2Minute, lapchinj, aniceguy, imharpo, 2 invisible), 66 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62566 Topics
438391 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#343752 - 10/31/10 10:47 AM Non-Sexual Mood Triggers
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I know I have triggers involving sexual statements and, what I view as being, actions.

But I also realize that I have some severe mood triggers. The one that seems to affect my mood the most is my weight. If I gain then I feel down and worthless. I feel like I am a failure and not worth the price of a square wheel. I am overly sensitive, prone to anger and isolate more than normal. I have the desire to do self damage and feel depression creeping in on me. The thoughts of going back to laxative use and fasting pop into my head as immediate solutions. I recognize this and in the past few months have done better at dealing with it. But it is a real boulder that runs me over when I step on the scale and see my number go up a notch.

I was just wondering what mood triggers other guys here wrestle with in their lives that are not sexual in nature.

Thanks,

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (10/31/10 10:57 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar - I tend to speak Okie

#343753 - 10/31/10 10:58 AM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: prisonerID]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
being ignored, left out... especially by my family... that triggers me in a major way.

my story

my vlog

#343767 - 10/31/10 01:26 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: Obi]
kidneythis Offline

PrisonerID,
I have weight related mood triggers too. I haven't gone past using laxatives for the intended purpose yet. I can tell you this from my knowledge of being fit and desire to exercise whenever pain lets me and that is you will gain weight as you begin because you will first start to put on muscle which weighs more than fat. This is a GOOD thing it means your body is acting correctly. Then if you continue you will begin to lose more fat than you are putting on in muscle and weight will start to go down. The fact is weight is a pretty meaningless number once you achieve fitness. It should be used as a tool to maintain knowledge of how your body is reacting to whatever exercises you are doing.
Having been one I know that this is the number one factor that stops people from exercising when they begin with good intent. I was depressed by it too. It was only when I had managed to lose the weight because I had to work so hard to be able to eat. I then learned to eat right as I wasn't gaining any more muscle even though I was exercisine like mad. When I finally began to eat right I started to gain weight but I wasn't getting fat. That is how I put it together and the things people said to me that I usually ignored, started to make sense to me.

Other triggers; Manipulation, lies, unfairness... there are more I just don't have ready access to them right now.

Edited by kidneythis (10/31/10 01:28 PM)

#343771 - 10/31/10 02:46 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: kidneythis]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
what is a mood trigger? i don't know all the kidns of triggers

- Saint John of the Cross

#343772 - 10/31/10 03:04 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

For me a mood trigger is that I can be in a pretty decent disposition. Then I get offset by something that deeply affects my mood. Makes me fall back into darker thoughts and attitudes.

#343774 - 10/31/10 03:29 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: prisonerID]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
so instead of triggering a PTSD flashback it triggers a mood swing?

- Saint John of the Cross

#343775 - 10/31/10 03:50 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: CruxFidelis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

That is the terminogy I use for it. I can really be riding pretty good and then crash hard from it. Today has been a battle like that.

#343776 - 10/31/10 03:55 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: prisonerID]
kidneythis Offline

To jump in unasked here, I think emotional flashbacks (what I call them) are a part of PTSD that is not visual. I think we go back to feeling the terror, lack of self worth, etc. that we had during or after the attack when we get triggered this way. I've had this.

#343804 - 10/31/10 11:46 PM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: kidneythis]
brother2none Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Undisclosed
I have these triggers happen often I think. I am being treated for PTSD. There are times where I have this severe mood swing that usually leads me to be angry, and then leads me to compulsive MB which is the mask to feel something other than anger, or isolation, or lack of self worth. I wish I knew more about how this happens, what the triggers are triggering.

I do know this: I was triggered today during a phone conversation with an uncle, and I initially felt unsupported and worthless. I observed within myself some sadness and upset, which within minutes (during which I was distracted by getting dinner together), turned to anger at some household situations, and in the end, a stomach full of anger and anxiety and self doubt.

#343811 - 11/01/10 04:17 AM Re: Non-Sexual Mood Triggers [Re: brother2none]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
H.A.L.T - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired are all moods for which I am triggered. Being tired is a big problem now with my having severe flashbacks.

Good question Daryl.

Donnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.