Newest Members
Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt
12132 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 59 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12132 Members
73 Forums
62560 Topics
438338 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#343526 - 10/29/10 11:56 AM World's First Child Abuse Monument
Macroadrunner Offline

We are building the world's first Child Abuse Monument in Toronto, Canada. You can view the website here Child Abuse Monument
We are currently in a competion to win a grant from Aviva to complete this amazing project. Please follow the link and cast your voye to bring this dream to life. You have 10 votes in total once you register but can only vote once per day. Vote for the Child Abuse Monument
Thank you and be kind to yourselves wink

#343739 - 10/31/10 01:36 AM Re: World's First Child Abuse Monument [Re: Macroadrunner]
expom Offline

Loc: Australia
I think you might find that a monument was opened a couple of weeks ago on the South Bank in Melbourne, Australia.

It is a monument specifically to "the forgotten generation" of boys and girls who were brought up in orphanages and children's homes and suffered physical and sexual abuse at the hands of those who were paid to care for them.

This is the Victorian Governments way of saying sorry to these people. Other states in Australia have and are financially compensating these abuse victims. In Victoria the government is still forcing these abuse children, now adults, to use the court system to 'prove' that they were abuse and have suffered since. The government's idea being that each successful court case will get compensation appropriate to the abuse suffered.

Of course, the real effect is that few are yet ready to face the pain associated with reliving all the abuses in the detail that is still demanded by the courts.

But still the monument is there- as a source of pride and recognition for some and as a source of further consternation for others.

ADen

#343873 - 11/01/10 08:32 PM Re: World's First Child Abuse Monument [Re: expom]
Macroadrunner Offline

Hi ADen,
I hope that some day it will be a source of pride and validation for all.
The one here in Toronto was built by and for victims and survivors as a source of healing, validation, support and education.

#343874 - 11/01/10 08:37 PM Re: World's First Child Abuse Monument [Re: Macroadrunner]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I can't be the only person who finds the idea of a monument to Child Abuse creepy and disturbing. Are they really calling it the "Child Abuse Monument"?

Ah, there is an important word you left out. It's actually called the "Child Abuse Survivor Monument". So, not creepy and disturbing at all.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#343878 - 11/01/10 09:27 PM Re: World's First Child Abuse Monument [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I am sure i saw a link somewhere here on MS showing a CSA monument of somekind a year or two back somewhere, i can't remember exactly what it looked like now though. Good luck with your project, hope it works out.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#343886 - 11/01/10 10:00 PM Re: World's First Child Abuse Monument [Re: king tut]
Macroadrunner Offline

Hi Mark,
I know what you mean about the name, however it is a monument to survivors and victims as some of the participants and many who were abused do not survive ;(

#344711 - 11/10/10 12:44 PM Re: World's First Child Abuse Monument [Re: Macroadrunner]
john38 Offline

Loc: Pasadena CA
Wow,

I think this is an incredible idea. The millions of children and adults who've died, and whose lives have been shattered as a result of CSA deserve to be honored, remembered, and never forgotten. Projects like these also help draw attention to the issue that most of society would like to brush under the carpet and not look at.

The project makes me wonder about trying to get something like this happening in the Los Angeles area!

John+

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.