Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 25 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63782 Topics
445403 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#342781 - 10/22/10 03:27 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Tinman]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
tinman,

you are right... and i apologize for making anyone feel guilty...

i'm done... later.

my story

my vlog

#342783 - 10/22/10 03:32 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: TJ jeff]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Seriously? A Harpo employee said 10,000+ men who (in email) said, put me on camera as sexually abused?

Wow. Proportionally that would be about 100 from the urban area of 2 million I live in. They told me Harpo has about 300 employees roughly. They spent an hour on the phone with me, very surprising.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#342785 - 10/22/10 03:42 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Tinman]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
I dont understand at the same time that they updated the site...if you added a line that read" BTW some of our brothers have felt they have not been heard and feel like they fell through the crack...could you maybe add a line that says "we certainly appreciate all those that told their stories...its just not possible to get back to everybody individually...but thanks for getting in touch with us"

took them all but a half a morning to change the wording on the promo...it could have just been as easy to add that extra line thanking those brave people who didnt get a response from the show.

Is that = to Harangue?....Noun: A lengthy and aggressive speech.
Verb: Lecture (someone) at length in an aggressive and critical manner

I suspect in the coming weeks this will not get better but worse...and we shall see how they edit it.

I have no horse in this race...Ill go back to chat, but its sad really.

edited to add...if the 10,000 you site (by email) is true...then they could have bulk emailed 10,000 men thanking them for their effort.

Edited by Castle (10/22/10 03:46 PM)

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#342806 - 10/22/10 07:52 PM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Tinman]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I too saw that when I was looking at their website yesterday after work. Made me cringe but did not have the time to take it on at the time. That certainly was not why I was there.

Thanks to you guys who contacted the show, and even more thanks for doing it as non-confrontational as possible. Your approach was just right. You were heard beyond expectation! smile

#342839 - 10/23/10 01:12 AM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Obi,

my appologies to you (and all of the other guys who where not able to be there) - I should have explained more directly that I DID indeed talk to some of the people there at the show while I was there - that is where I was told of how overwhelmed they where

(and just so you know... - I have not been in contact with anyone there since the show as I know how busy they are putting on other daily shows)

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#342844 - 10/23/10 07:12 AM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: TJ jeff]
Wardpoet Offline

Loc: Maryland
They could have done better we all learn from our mistakes. I am just thankful for the silence needs to be broken and the Harpo group are helping this along. Tens of thousands does not mean they interviewed all. I know that I am very hypersensitive so I can be overcritical sometimes. Our day as survivors is not coming our day has arrived embrace what you can and know that you deserve the best.

#342850 - 10/23/10 09:15 AM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Wardpoet]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
tj,

appreciate it...

i just want to make the point that as survivors, most of us if not all, were basically told, led to believe etc, that we were to keep our mouths shut, not to say anything, be quiet, no one would listen to us anyway and so on...

all any of us want is to be heard...

it doesn't matter to me whether i was selected or not....

what does matter to me is that i was heard... i'm standing up for all of us that didn't get heard... as in, we did not get any reply at all to any of the emails we sent in, phone calls we may have made and so on...

bulk email would've taken a few minutes... a simple form letter emailed would've have been enough for me to realize that at least i was heard....

but to not get anything at all made it feel like our voices weren't heard. that basically we were getting ignored... that we should just keep quiet....

that is my point.. i'm sticking up for all of us that didn't get our voices heard....

i'm glad that this show(s) is happening. i'm glad that many of you got to go. i'm glad you were able to email the producers and they listened to your voice in getting the promos changed...

is it too much to ask for some courtesy from them for the same? is it too much to ask for a simple bulk email that only takes a few minutes to do at the most? they listened to your emails about the promos and made the changes and emailed back... they have the time to do a bulk email....

todd

my story

my vlog

#342852 - 10/23/10 10:36 AM Blank [Re: Obi]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK

#342853 - 10/23/10 10:39 AM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Obi]
Wardpoet Offline

Loc: Maryland
I am sorry you and many people were slighted. I was silent for about 35 years. The only reason I started talking about my CSA was it was consuming me I was going to explode.Therapy in 97 helped some went for a year. I just started again a few months ago. I spent so long not wanting to hear, so long unable to speak of my being raped. I did not contact Harpo to go to the show. Back in March they had 3 shows I could not watch the first two the third show I saw and responded to telling them I thought it was the most important show they had ever done and telling them in a email what happened to me.I did this at the library crying the whole time I wrote. They got back to me. Yes the validation was healing to get a reply. Sorry everyone did not get that.

#342859 - 10/23/10 11:46 AM Re: You went to Oprah? Read this!!!! [Re: Obi]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Originally Posted By: Obi

all any of us want is to be heard...

it doesn't matter to me whether i was selected or not....

I really wanted to look into the camera and say

"But this ISN'T "MY STORY". This is the story of millions of men, and men each of you know. Every one of you watching this show, let them speak."

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.