Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (myrlin, Bardo, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64205 Topics
448046 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#342236 - 10/16/10 10:18 AM Time for the Men
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Reading what Marley posted yesterday had me thinking on something that I have been pondering for a long time now. Years ago an initiative rang out concerning women's health issues. A rally call was sent out and answered about research and services concerning the health concerns of females here in our country. It was felt that this was under represented and funded here.

Now - what about the sexual abuse issues of men? Do we not see that there are so many dimensions to male sexual abuse that have not even been scratched yet? Or if they have scratched a bit then that is looked at like they have been addressed?

Marley's writings, along with so many other's here, show that there is more to look at and I hope that one day this will happen. So many dimensions to adult male sexual abuse, as with CSA, for them to study and look at. Rather than quote some stats get downt to the real business of adult men who have been assaulted.

I wish I could say I was hopeful but I am not. At least not in my country. I say that without bitterness, at least today, but just matter of fact. But after the elections this year are done in my state I do believe I will take a few trips to OKC. Through my work I have met some who are in office now and I am willing to see if they will listen to me.

I can't keep griping if I don't at least try, eh?

Daryl

#342531 - 10/20/10 08:45 AM Re: Time for the Men [Re: prisonerID]
Marley Offline

Daryl,

Personally I am sick of reading the stats. It all makes me feel less human and more like a number in a group of numbers. I have already spent a few years of my life being identified as a number, I am finished with that.

I understand what you are saying here, but I am hopeful. A few weeks ago everything was a secret and I could relate to no one, then I stumbled across this site and discovered that I am one of many. One of hundreds and thousands. So while there are, as you wrote, many dimensions to male sexual abuse that have not been “scratched” yet, I am thinking, and hoping, that sooner or later all matters and issues of it will be addressed.

But how can all the issues be addressed if the individual does not speak up?

Marley

#342554 - 10/20/10 01:29 PM Re: Time for the Men [Re: Marley]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Marley,

I think you are right about the speaking up part and that has been a hard battle for me to admit. My last therapist would challenge me on it.

I do think that the mental health community has been negligent in general with addressing the issues of male ASA. I found an article not long ago from about six years ago. In a large city there was a serial rapist targeting men. The one top ranking officer stated that in his thirty year career that he had never known of an adult man who had been sexually assaulted.

I lied like a howling dog to doctors police and a sex crimes investigator. But they knew I was lying. I cannot believe in this man's thirty year career he had never suspected that a male had been assaulted. I think men can hide it well but not all can do it that well. Maybe I could swallow this story better if it was many years ago. But not in 2004 in a large city.

There is much that needs changing in my opinion. There is far too much imbalance and neglect in this area.

Daryl

#342601 - 10/21/10 08:32 AM Re: Time for the Men [Re: prisonerID]
Marley Offline

Daryl,

I couldn't agree more, and it is a sad and ugly truth.

In my personal experience, even those times that I did not lie or deny, either people simply did not believe me or they did not want to hear it or worse, they just didn't care.

Perhaps they did not want to believe it themselves, I am not sure.

The article you are talking about, of course he stated that, ask any of the top ranking staff, adminstrators or officers in most correctional facilities and they will tell you "those kind of things do not go on in this facility". It is much easier to walk away and pretend it's not going on than it is to fight the system. Again, my personal opinion only.

Marley

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.