Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
4 registered (takingitslow, midnight51, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63787 Topics
445435 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#342584 - 10/20/10 09:34 PM Oprah rejects
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Just a post for all of us rejects that didn't even rate somekind of reply. I didn't expect an invite because of my circumstances but I made an effort to be open to what might happen. I don't believe anyone can speak to what my life and experience consist of and foresee just another generalized "idea" of what makes up a "survivor".

I hope the guys who got to go don't try speaking for all, it really makes my life harder having to deal with people and what they believe someone "like me" is suppose to be.

It would've been just common courtesy to at the very least give a response even if it were a mass email.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#342683 - 10/21/10 08:42 PM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: usmc97]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
Removing post as issue mentioned has been resoloved

#342691 - 10/21/10 10:45 PM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: Tinman]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
USMC,

I am sad because of what I see in your post. You feel like you were given no consideration. To hell with them. We are here for you!

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#342703 - 10/22/10 12:42 AM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: Tinman]
cpt. confusion Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: midwest
USMC- you weren't the only "reject" from this show- I actually live in the Chicago area (so no travel expenses), and I wrote in after they had posted a calling on the Oprah website. I heard nothing back. I waited about a week, and wrote in again when I noticed the posting was still there, and still no response. through a friend, I actually got a number to one of the producers, and called, left a message, and still got no response. Finally this past monday (2 days before taping), I called and left another message and received a return call letting me know they were completely booked. If I wasnt so persistent, I wouldnt have heard anything either.

I agree they should have given some kind of notice, some kind of reply to acknowledge... but I have also realized that they are television people, not counselors. Their top priority is putting on this TV Show- and not worrying about the effect they might have in leaving us waiting and hoping for a call...

I thought about it more, and they werent organizing a retreat weekend, or promising counseling sessions, and probably most important for me to realize is that it was not a contest. I'm sure they had an agenda to abide by, and probably some type of profile or commonality they were looking for in choosing the participants.

Perhaps I didnt fit the mold- good. I don't fit any mold, nor do I want to.

At the end of the day, I am still glad that this show was filmed, and I look forward to what I hope will be a positive effect on so many of the survivors that are still out there silent in their struggles.

-cpt.

*WoR Alum
Sequoia I-March '11
Alta II, September '11

#342727 - 10/22/10 09:48 AM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: cpt. confusion]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
yeah... i'm a reject too...

no hi, bye, kiss our butt, nothing....

would've been nice to send out a "bulk email" to let those that weren't selected know that they had the slots filled..

Edited by Obi (10/22/10 09:48 AM)

my story

my vlog

#342731 - 10/22/10 10:06 AM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: Obi]
blaidd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
You guys are so brave for even considering the thought of wanting to tell your stories in public. I just couldn't do it. No way.

Sounds a tad remiss, not to provide the courtesy of a reply as a way of explanation. Maybe they were so inundated with applications they did not have the resources to reply given time restraints and personnel etc. Who knows. I understand that it was disappointing for those who missed out and did not get a reply of any de>

#342733 - 10/22/10 10:13 AM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: Obi]
Wardpoet Offline

Loc: Maryland
I was not a reject. I don't see how I deserved to go. My contact with them was a reply to a show last march. I did not think I would be selected couln't deal with rejection so refused to have any hope.It will be a very good show I did not speak there were many who seemed to have the need to do so and everyone could not be able to due to time constraints. I wondered if I would even get a reject note. There were no correct responses our stories are different with some similarities. I am humbled that they would even do this show. Out of tens of thousands who applied 200 were selected I cannot give any info untill the 28th.

Edited by Wardpoet (10/22/10 10:19 AM)
Edit Reason: add info

#342742 - 10/22/10 10:46 AM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: Wardpoet]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
I hear the disappointment in you all. I thought about this myself and then last night I thought well hey....why not just get together as a group for the weekend.

I did NOT apply myself but, I can understand disappointments.

Donnie

#342909 - 10/23/10 09:56 PM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: Avery46]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I did not necessarily want to share my "experience", I was pretty sure I would not be able to even do the traveling since I would've needed a friend to go along. I might not have been able to handle just sitting in the audience.... the thing is that I asked for consideration by giving the basics of what I live with and what I've been through.

I even gave my docs info knowing that what I told them might be too much and that they would need to verify what I said.

No. I just about guarantee that there was not a representation of what has happened in my life or what I deal with on a daily basis.

Virtually every resource for males with abuse backgrounds, including here at MS, have failed to include someone like me. It becomes a burden to try and teach different when everything is focused on having a person categorized before they even speak.

I cannot include myself to much of what others in the "survivor" community express or of what makes a "survivor". Just that name does not carry any de>

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#342931 - 10/24/10 10:40 AM Re: Oprah rejects [Re: usmc97]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I know that feeling silenced, rejected and ignored can be very strong triggers for survivors. That's why I'm curious why anyone who is sensitive to any of those things would have even considered engaging on this Oprah show.

I believe that I decide how much things like this can hurt me. I wonder why my brothers have given this situation so much power over them.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.