Newest Members
TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo, Laurie
12485 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12485 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447575 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#324531 - 03/09/10 10:42 AM Resource for Clergy Abuse Survivors in Australia
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
For anyone living in Australia who is a survivor of Church Sexual Abuse by the clergy or religious, there is an organisation you should know about called "Broken Rites".

Quote:
Broken Rites Australia fighting church sexual abuse since 1992

Broken Rites Australia was formed in 1992 by victims of church-related sexual abuse and this photo demonstrates why our organisation was needed.

In the photo, Catholic priest Gerald Ridsdale (left) walks to court, accompanied by his support person (Bishop George Pell, then an auxiliary bishop in Melbourne [Now Cardinal Pell and the Catholic Archbishop of Sydney - efm]), when Father Ridsdale was pleading guilty to his first batch of criminal charges in May 1993.

But no bishop accompanied the victims, who felt deserted by the church hierarchy. Therefore, Broken Rites quickly became Australia's main support group for church-abuse victims.

Broken Rites has supported victims (male or female) from the Catholic Church, the Anglican Church and the Uniting Church, as well as from smaller denominations.

About 90 per cent of the men and women who have contacted Broken Rites Australia have been from a Catholic background.

The researchers and advocates in the Broken Rites Australia executive team all have a Catholic background but we are non-denominational in our outlook.
[...]

How we help

Broken Rites receives telephone calls and emails from throughout Australia.

Broken Rites can advise a victim about various ways to obtain justice (more about this later in the article). We help victims to become survivors.

To empower victims, we maintain lists of church personnel who have been sentenced in the criminal courts or who have been the subject of civil out-of-court processes. Broken Rites has supported the victims in these cases either before or after the commencement of the justice process. Some examples of these cases are listed on our Black Collar Crime page but this is not a complete list. These are merely cases in which Broken Rites provided support.

For a detailed analysis of some individual offenders, see Our Top Stories.

Our articles are written in a professional, non-sensational manner. We protect the privacy of victims.

There is considerable research and information about charged and convicted perpetrators on their site and if you have been affected by church sexual abuse in Australia it's worth contacting them to see what they might know about individuals that isn't public because no charge or conviction has been made.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#342169 - 10/15/10 07:27 AM Re: Resource for Clergy Abuse Survivors in Australia [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
lasttrain Offline

Loc: Australia

#342177 - 10/15/10 10:04 AM Re: Resource for Clergy Abuse Survivors in Australia [Re: lasttrain]
kidneythis Offline

benaud,
I'm sorry you need to be here. Your reluctance is normal. It took me a month or so to get up the courage to call and report what I had remembered.
I think the article mentions that "it's worth it to contact them" about people who's names aren't on the list. You may be the first person to report this particular priest. As for justice I don't know what to tell you.
I was abused in an institution.
For me justice would be, first an official acknowledgement of the abuse I endured. Then a real investigation which looks for the records and the people who were there and takes statements or even compells statements. Dozens were aware of me before and after my abuse. Then a full prosecution of those still alive. And finally a sincere attempt by those who were supposed to protect me to make me whole.

Edited by kidneythis (10/15/10 10:06 AM)

#342204 - 10/15/10 08:29 PM Re: Resource for Clergy Abuse Survivors in Australia [Re: lasttrain]
blaidd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Benaud,

Just for the record, I'm a fellow Aussie, so I know about Broken Rites, even though I am not a survivor of clergy abuse.

Broken Rites has been around for a long time and my understanding is that they are a very supportive and understanding organisation for survivors of clergy abuse. They are not attached or aligned to any Australian Church and are therefore independent.

They do act as an advocacy organisation in helping survivors who wish to take action against perps in the clergy, but only if the survivor wants to pursue that path. But that is not their only function.

I know how nerve racking it is to ring up support services. You could ring up anonymously or send an email that doesn't identify you. Mind you when I've rung support lines in the past they don't ask for a full name for identification purposes anyway, if that is a concern for you. And they respect confidentiality.

I'm sure they will offer you a gentle ear to listen to your story and be supportive in return.

I understand that it is scary, but I just want to point out that they are a reputable survivor organisation, if you feel ready and wish to contact them.

It never hurts to have as much support as you can get when beginning this journey. I just wanted to offer you some reassurance and I wish you well

regards

blaidd.

#342217 - 10/15/10 11:08 PM Re: Resource for Clergy Abuse Survivors in Australia [Re: blaidd]
lasttrain Offline

#342218 - 10/16/10 12:01 AM Re: Resource for Clergy Abuse Survivors in Australia [Re: lasttrain]
blaidd Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's okay, your recovery process is best done at a pace you feel comfortable with.

smile

Edit: Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting you jump in and take action against your abuser. I meant that Broken Rites is also a counselling phone service if you ever had that need to talk to someone who understands the circumstances of clergy abuse in an Australian context. smile

Edited by blaidd (10/16/10 12:33 AM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.