Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
4 registered (midnight51, Bluedogone, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445337 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#341887 - 10/11/10 02:11 PM The Art of Apology
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Today I saw a good apology in chat from one user to another. He owned the situation, took responsibility and humbled himself. The recipient of the apology received it well.

The apologies that seems to come from most of the populace these days involve lack of owninership of being the cause of the situational breakdown. I recall a situation where a manager at work pushed some of my buttons the wrong way. I complained to her boss that her behavior was not necessary. The next day I received an apology something like "I'm sorry you feel that way." She did not own the cause at all. She placed the burden back on me.

Why do some people feel they can "faux" their way through an apology? Is it too much pride? Unwilling to admit they were wrong? Apology is a necessary element in relationship. It shows humility to the wronged party when wrong happens on the part of one to the other.

At the same time, one would hope the other party accepts the apology, and relationship can continue to grow.

Just my thoughts based on what I saw in chat. How about your thoughts?

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#341900 - 10/11/10 05:47 PM Re: The Art of Apology [Re: FormerTexan]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Andy,

This is a wonderful topic and you have some great thoughts. I our culture in general is a defensive one. Rarely do people begin by saying "I" but rather "You" when stating a concern. Before a person even has a chance to state their case the other person is often already in defensive mode.

It seems that many do not wish to give an inch and all things seem to be a power struggle. I do not see an apology as a weakness but rather as a sign of a strong individual. Secure people apologize and those who are not avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

Nice what you described in chat and it is a necessary part of any relationship.

Daryl

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.