Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
1 registered (pattom), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443082 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340263 - 09/15/10 08:13 AM This Forum
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Since this forum was put in place it has had an affect on me. First, advocating for myself is not an easy thing for me. The people in my life do not know the struggle I have with it. But it is only now getting some better. No, a lot better.

When I, along with others, voiced a desire for this I was not only doing it for others but for me as well. And that is something new. I was proud that not only was I asking for something that I felt they deserved but also for what I felt I deserved. And I did not feel guilty or selfish for it.

The second thing is since this forum came up I have felt a little more settled inside. I guess I felt so validated by this forum that it has strengthened me. It is hard to put into words the wheels that it has set in motion for me inside in dealing with my issues.

I am so grateful for this new forum and for those who write here. I have been treated well here and have met so many amazing men. But in all honesty it was a struggle to feel I belonged here - and that was my own stuff and no one else's doing. And I found my place here among all of you.

But with the creation of this forum I felt a place had been made for me.

To me this forum will be a beacon to ASA men who travel through here and they will see it. And they will not have to wonder and struggle as to whether they belong here. They will not need kind hearted men to try to talk them into staying and convince them that they have a place here. They will see it right off and know it for themselves.

That is what this forum has done for me so far. And I thank this site for making it a reality.

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (09/15/10 08:38 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#340268 - 09/15/10 11:04 AM Re: This Forum [Re: prisonerID]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I'm learning that male survivors of ASA have a different experience and feel a different impact from their experience.

I'm glad that the simple existence of this area supports you Daryl and other ASA survivors, but as a CSA survivor, this is an important area for me, too. Let me try to explain.

I'm a gay man who is an advocate for transgender rights. I do that because I see the common threads in our experiences around living the truth of who we are. I also do it because I know that I can't expect straight people to advocate for me if I'm not also advocating for my transgender brothers and sisters. I feel an ethical obligation.

I'm a CSA survivor but I feel an ethical obligation to my ASA survivor brothers also. If I expect understanding, then I must understand. If I expect to be supported, then I must support others. This forum is a place for me to learn how to do that.

Without it, I wouldn't be able to fulfill that ethical obligation. Thanks to MS for giving me the means to do that.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#341780 - 10/09/10 01:42 AM Re: This Forum [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I didn't realize that I needed this forum, until I saw it.

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#341784 - 10/09/10 09:16 AM Re: This Forum [Re: philistine]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I hate it that you need it but I am glad you are here. And we need you here as well.

Daryl

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.