Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
2 registered (Vedder32, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63420 Topics
443378 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#341665 - 10/07/10 05:13 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: pufferfish]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
don't think so allen... this is it for oprah.. last season.... which doesn't matter to me anyway.. i hardly ever watched her show...

yes, i would've liked to have been picked to at least sit in the audience...

BUT IT WOULD'VE BEEN NICE TO AT LEAST HAVE RECEIVED SOME NOTICE SAYING THAT THEY'VE FILLED THE SLOTS!

i hope that the people that do go get the message out...

sorry... i'm in a very very dark place right now.

my story

my vlog

#341670 - 10/07/10 05:57 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Obi]
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL

Whatever needs to happen, will happen. I'm confidant of that.

Don

Edited by MrDon (10/18/10 09:16 PM)

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#341692 - 10/08/10 02:28 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Curtis St. John]
Steve Augustine Offline

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
I'm not sure if there going to be focusing on a select few for the whole episode. I had read online that the one of the original ideas (not that this will be it) was to have it as a large open type forum with everyones participation.

When I was interviewed on the phone the last thing I was asked was if I'd be willing to share my story on the show? I said yes. I guess it maybe depends on how many people are actually going. There supposed to let us know as the date gets closer. I'm trying not to be so anxious.

#341711 - 10/08/10 10:34 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Steve Augustine]
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Quote:
When I was interviewed on the phone the last thing I was asked was if I'd be willing to share my story on the show?

That's exactly as it went for me. I'm fine either way if they use my story or not; I just want to be mentally prepared for one or the other and was curious if others were told their story was actually scheduled because that would give me a clue.

As Obi has pointed out, this sort of thing does hold the potential to be disappointing and can stir up feelings of victimization (I’m so, so sorry Obi.. I know exactly how this feels first hand). We have to remember that first and foremost, Oprah is a business out to make money and you have to be prepared that although they care about us, our emotions are not their top priority…

I was called to be on the Montel Show once. They drove me to the city to film some video clips the day before the taping, and like Oprah’s folks, they said up front that they weren’t sure they would actually use my story and that I’d most likely be in the audience.

Well while I’m standing on the train platform waiting to head into the city, I got a call that they’d not only use my story but that I’d now be on stage. When I got to the studio, other guests were taken upstairs however I was just sitting in the lobby. Eventually they brought me upstairs after I inquired and they put some makeup on me and had me wait.

I sat in the audience and the producer came to me and said they would be using my story but I won’t be on stage… in the end they didn’t use my story at all and they ushered the audience out onto 5th Ave with a hat and a t-shirt as a parting gift… and me in full makeup… I was able to make my way around to the front of the building and talk my way back inside so I could wash the makeup off. That one was tough to handle.

I’m very sure that won’t happen here but the point is you have to be ready for anything and nothing is a done deal till it actually airs. And they may tape things that feature some of us and then not use it. I had a segment in Boyhood Shadows about female offenders which I thought was very powerful. It was on the DVD they sent but when I flew to the premiere in California I found myself sitting in the audience wondering where that particular segment went…

My point is not to bring anyone down, I would just rather we prepare for the minimum but still hope for the best experience we can have. And in the end, what this is about , is getting the word out that we are here… we exist, we are real… the pain is real… and we will be heard as a group if not each of us individually.

Cheers!

#341718 - 10/08/10 11:06 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Curtis St. John]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
I am flying out as well for the taping, and I know about as much as everyone else does. We fly out the 19th, tape the morning of the 20th, and fly home after. They also sent out an email asking for photos of participants from around the time of our abuse. I am choosing not to send one because I do not want the focus to be the sad child I was, but the proud survivor I am today.

We should make plans for dinner the evening of the 19th. Is there anyone here who is more familiar with Chicago than I am who can make some restaurant recommendations?

Chris

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#341734 - 10/08/10 03:55 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: tartugas]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Since there is so much mystery about all this, we'll have to call it Phantom of the Oprah smile laugh

#341735 - 10/08/10 04:09 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: tartugas]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Obi, if you feel that strongly, call them up! It's clear they have been swamped talking to some 200 guys at length. There's probably still time. Very likely they lost, misplaced or got confused with your information.

Restaurants: A chicago friend recommends Xoco, http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/xoco.html

Allan

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#341829 - 10/10/10 01:49 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: LandOfShadow]
Donald D'Haene Offline

Loc: London
I too am going...hi from Canada...looking forward to meeting you all who are going in Chicago...this is going to be something else. I haven't been on here for years...you know how life goes...4 jobs, buying a house, blah blah blah....I am working on a one-man play based on my story with a playwright who was nominated for a Governor General Award. Hope we can do dinner in Chicago!
Donald
fatherstouch.com

#341833 - 10/10/10 05:06 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Donald D'Haene]
Regs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi Guys,

I will be there too and I look forward to meeting many of you face to face.

No matter how this ends up, it should be a good opportunity to offer hope and courage to the many that have not started their recovery journey. It was from men like you that I borrowed courage in order to take the first shaky steps. It is wonderful to be in a position to give back.

#341835 - 10/10/10 05:23 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Regs]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This will be exciting.

Someone said they didn't want to bring a childhood pix. Please rethink. It would really add to your statement.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.