Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
4 registered (feelinggreen, Cthulhu, CafeMan, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63211 Topics
442000 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#341480 - 10/05/10 01:37 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Curtis St. John]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
You guys who are going....

Great news.

Don't forget to plug MS if you have a chance to speak.

Maybe having some literature you can pass out to the other guys in the audience? That would be real helpful to get the word out.

Weekends of recovery info as well!

#341510 - 10/06/10 12:48 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
EHFAR Offline

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
HI everyone!

My name is Brian, I just signed up and am new to this group. I've been apart of RAINN's speakers bureau since its begining.

I to am excited and refuse to lie in saying that i'm also just as nervous but will also be attending the Oprah show on the 19/20 of October. I just got the flight info the other day. I look forward to possibly getting the chance to meet some of you then and look forward to communicating with you all in the future. I really am glad I found this new site.

Take care everyone!
Brian

#341536 - 10/06/10 10:15 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: EHFAR]
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Hope we can all connect at some point.

Edited by MrDon (10/18/10 09:15 PM)

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#341649 - 10/07/10 01:18 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: MrDon]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Does anyone have the actual date the show will air?

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#341651 - 10/07/10 01:35 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: FormerTexan]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
they have not said anything about it
they have not even figured out excactly what direction the show will go either as fare as i no.

i think they are keeping it kinda silent until we arrive
i understand why

you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#341657 - 10/07/10 02:58 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: nltsaved]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
My sense, as odd as it might seem to us, is that they put these shows together to the final cut very quickly in a few days on the fly. It must just quickly fall into place for them typically.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#341659 - 10/07/10 03:55 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: LandOfShadow]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LandOfShadow
My sense, as odd as it might seem to us, is that they put these shows together to the final cut very quickly in a few days on the fly. It must just quickly fall into place for them typically.

Yes, but they are highly skilled at this. You are already selected, so they know that you can do it. They will probably coach you and go over the plan with you and you will rehearse. It looks to me like they give the women who appear on the show a hair-do and facial makeup. I don't know what they do for guys. Get a nice suit or sport jacket. Wear a tie and a neat looking shirt. But my advice is to be thinking of what you will say in advance. My wife was a speech and debate coach. She was good at it. She told me how to rehearse what I would say in my oral exams, etc. Prepare your words in advance so you won't have to stumble for words.

Following is my guess as to what will happen: You will all be seated together on production stools in a line on the stage. There will be cameras and lights and an audience staring you in the face. Prepare yourself so you won't be dazzled. Oprah will be seated to your left. She will explain to the audience what's going on in several minutes. She is amazingly effective. She knows the pain of abuse and so she will be sensitive. She will probably give each of you 1 or 2 minutes to introduce yourselves. This will include your name and where you are from and what you do. Don't be embarrassed if you are unemployed. That will be part of your "story". Then Oprah will talk several more minutes to sum up and prepare for the next round of your statements. Each of you will be given several minutes to tell your story of abuse. Be prepared to tell your story in a short period of time like that. You cannot hem and haw. You must practice beforehand to be effective. Write out your statements and memorize them. Say your story to a friend. Be prepared and it will help you not be stunned (remember the deer caught in the headlights of a car?).

Oprah will ask each person several questions relating to your story. She will be direct but she will be very sensitive to not embarrassing you. Give direct answers if you can. She will want to know the nature of the abuse then and how it affects your life now. They may ask about your perp. Be prepared to describe the perp in a few words without giving any names. What is the perp doing now? Etc. etc. Then they will have a commercial break.

Then they will come back and she will re-summarize what's going on. Then they will have more interview-type questions for you. They may ask to show some pictures of where you are from (your childhood home) or something. Or maybe they will show a picture of you as a child. Remember it's a visual medium. The time will go very, very fast.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#341660 - 10/07/10 04:05 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: pufferfish]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
well oprah's producer can kiss my fat ass!

would've been nice to at least to have received an email,letter or phone call to say "sorry, we have enough slots filled for our audience at this time.".... something...

BUT OH NO!!! i guess i'm asking waaaay too much...

thanks for nothing except now my thoughts are of feeling like i'm not even worthy enough to receive a rejection notice....

my story

my vlog

#341661 - 10/07/10 04:08 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: pufferfish]
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
So out of the 200...300? or so going, have some of you been guaranteed that your story is going to be used?

#341663 - 10/07/10 05:08 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Obi]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Obi
.....we have enough slots filled for our audience at this time.

thanks for nothing except now my thoughts are of feeling like i'm not even worthy enough to receive a rejection notice....

Obi,

They probably selected for a variety of criteria. They probably want a diversity of types of abuse and effects and ages. If it comes off well, and I hope it does, they'll have another one. Oprah is pushing this subject (fortunately). Maybe you'll be selected for the next batch.

Allen

pufferfish

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.